PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment extension

Rockntractor
09-26-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.mankatofreepress.com/local/local_story_268142350.html

Congress votes: Unemployment extension
"We are perpetuating unemployment, not solving it."- Rep. John Linder, R, Ga.

Votes in Congress Service

WASHINGTON, D.C. —

Here's how area members of Congress voted in the week ending Sept. 25.

EXTENDED JOBLESS BENEFITS: Voting 331 for and 83 against, the House on Sept. 22, 2009, passed a bill (HR 3548) providing 13 more weeks of jobless checks for those in high-unemployment states whose current allotments have expired or soon will expire. The bill applies to at least 27 states with jobless rates of 8.5 percent or higher and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The bill would immediately benefit about 300,000 million long-term unemployed and help another one million by year's end, with the $1.4 billion cost offset mainly by payroll taxes on employers. Jobless checks average $300 per week. The bill would extend total benefits to as long as 21 months in the highest-unemployment states.

Jim McDermott, D-Wash., said economic recovery "will take time. There are still six unemployed workers for every available job, so extended unemployment compensation isn't a convenience; it's a necessity."

John Linder, R-Ga., said: "Since this extended benefits program was created in June 2008...unemployment rose from 5.8 percent ... to now 9.7 percent....We are perpetuating unemployment, not solving it."

About 42 million seniors and people with disabilities are enrolled in Medicare Part B. By law, about three-fourths are exempt from premium increases when there is no increase in Social Security payments.

A yes vote was to pass the bill.

VOTE H-1 slugged JOBLESS

MINNESOTA Voting yes: Tim Walz, D-1, Betty

McCollum, D-4, Keith Ellison, D-5, Collin Peterson,

Let's hand out some more money to calm the masses. Does anyone no how to make it go to the blue states and punish the red? Payoffs!! yes we can.

RobJohnson
09-26-2009, 11:38 AM
This simply keeps people on the sofa longer, rather then out pounding the pavement looking for work.

It also keeps them from accepting jobs that might pay less then they have made in the past. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take whatever you can find.

I think we would have less unemployment if there was less unemployment compensation.

I heard people that were laid off bragging how they could go almost a year without working, due to all the extensions, on top of the President's tax break on benefits.

I know of $40 an hour equipment operators that won't work for $18, because they can make more by not working.

Nubs
09-26-2009, 12:21 PM
This simply keeps people on the sofa longer, rather then out pounding the pavement looking for work.

It also keeps them from accepting jobs that might pay less then they have made in the past. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take whatever you can find.

I think we would have less unemployment if there was less unemployment compensation.

I heard people that were laid off bragging how they could go almost a year without working, due to all the extensions, on top of the President's tax break on benefits.

I know of $40 an hour equipment operators that won't work for $18, because they can make more by not working.

I can go almost 3 years under the TAA program. It's not the windfall you might think. I make less in one week on pogey than I made in 1 day while working. I spent the summer sending out hundreds of resumes with 1 interview. In my specialty, there are no jobs. So, I have gone back to get my MBA in an effort to broaden my ChemE degree. The pogey will allow me to accomplish this task in under 2 years while keeping my families financial head above water.

Under proposed cap n trade legislation, jobs lost due to said legislation will qualify for up to 4 years of pogey.

RobJohnson
09-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone that really wants to find a job, can find one.

In your case Nubs, it sounds like you are actually trying to do something with the time off to better yourself. Most don't do that, they just suck up the checks until they run out, and then complain they have no income!

Rockntractor
09-26-2009, 12:54 PM
This is a partisan hand out! Give the extension to all 50 states or none!

RobJohnson
09-26-2009, 12:58 PM
John Linder, R-Ga., said: "Since this extended benefits program was created in June 2008...unemployment rose from 5.8 percent ... to now 9.7 percent....We are perpetuating unemployment, not solving it."