PDA

View Full Version : DUmmies apologize for rapist (Polanski)

Elspeth
09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=6639021&mesg_id=6639021

He could spend the rest of his life in prison if he's returned to the US

Like that's a bad thing?:mad:

PoliCon
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Depends - was Polanski part of, connected with, or sympathetic to the Bush administration? If so - then no it wouldn't be a bad thing. Otherwise - yes it would be a bad thing. [/du]

stsinner
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I think the entire thing is stupidity!! After all, although I don't agree with the underage sex, what did you do 30 years ago that you'd feel exactly the same about today?? You live and you learn.. I think we've all done stupid things in our youth that we don't agree with 30 years later...

Elspeth
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I think the entire thing is stupidity!! After all, although I don't agree with the underage sex, what did you do 30 years ago that you'd feel exactly the same about today?? You live and you learn.. I think we've all done stupid things in our youth that we don't agree with 30 years later...

A crime is a crime. There are all kinds of stories where people commit crimes in their youth, escape the consequences and then have to come back and serve their time. Why should Polanski be any different? Hollywood does not get a free pass.

Swampfox
09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
If my understanding is correct Polanski did report to prison as part of a plea deal and was released. Then the judge wanted to throw the whole thing out and give him some very long sentence, which both the prosecutor and the victim thought was excessive. I don't know. It's more complicated than a lot of people make it out to be.

linda22003
09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Plus, the girl involved (middle-aged now) wants the whole thing dropped.

noonwitch
09-28-2009, 08:45 AM
What he did was wrong, but I could see if he thought that the girl was 17 or 18. I saw the photo of her at 13 on the news, and like many 13 year old girls, she could have passed for older if she lied. She wants it over, maybe there can be some kind of arrangement that allows for little time served or something.

I'm not usually sympathetic to sex offenders, but he didn't do it again, and he lived in France, where I think seductive 13 year old girls are part of the culture. I have a small bit of sympathy for him because of the brutal murder of his wife and friends by the Manson cult.

Gingersnap
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Plus, the girl involved (middle-aged now) wants the whole thing dropped.

This is the important part for me. Bringing up this issue every few years is just revictimizing her. Her life has been all about his subsequent career and that's just wrong.

movie buff
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
A crime is a crime. There are all kinds of stories where people commit crimes in their youth, escape the consequences and then have to come back and serve their time. Why should Polanski be any different? Hollywood does not get a free pass.

Indeed.
For instance, just a few years ago, a man named Edgar Ray Killen was convicted for his role in the 1964 murders of civil rights activists Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and Andrew Goodman.

linda22003
09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Indeed.
For instance, just a few years ago, a man named Edgar Ray Killen was convicted for his role in the 1964 murders of civil rights activists Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and Andrew Goodman.

Is that quite the same situation? Did Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney also say they wanted the charges dropped?

noonwitch
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Is that quite the same situation? Did Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney also say they wanted the charges dropped?

Generally speaking, there is no statute of limitations on murder, and not on first degree sex offenses. The latter is newer, though, and may not apply to an old case like Polanski's.

djones520
09-29-2009, 12:51 PM

From all I heard, the mans repeated these activities during his time in Europe. The man's a fugitive, and he's most likely a repeat offender. It shouldn't matter if she wants the charges dropped or not. He was found guilty, fled, and has been thumbing his nose at authorities ever since.

stsinner
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Actually, I just read the whole story, including the girl's Supreme Court testimony,and I retract my statement that it was 30 years ago so let it go.. He gave a 13 year old quaaludes and champagne and had not just sex with her but anal sex, too, after she said no.. He should pay for that..

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Generally speaking, there is no statute of limitations on murder, and not on first degree sex offenses. The latter is newer, though, and may not apply to an old case like Polanski's.

He plead guilty. His crime now is evading sentence not the rape.

CueSi
09-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Salon.com isn't exactly a hive of conservative thought , but they boil it down to the basics.

Salon.com article (http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/feature/2009/09/28/polanski_arrest/index.html)

As to those who argue, The victim forgave him, let's let it drop remember; criminal charges read "THE PEOPLE Of the State of California v. Polanski.

Salon.com elaborates:

But what of the now-45-year-old victim, who received a settlement from Polanski in a civil case, saying she'd like to see the charges dropped? Shouldn't we be honoring her wishes above all else?

In a word, no. At least, not entirely. I happen to believe we should honor her desire not to be the subject of a media circus, which is why I haven't named her here, even though she chose to make her identity public long ago. But as for dropping the charges, Fecke said it quite well: "I understand the victim's feelings on this. And I sympathize, I do. But for good or ill, the justice system doesn't work on behalf of victims; it works on behalf of justice."

It works on behalf of the people, in fact -- the people whose laws in every state make it clear that both child rape and fleeing prosecution are serious crimes. The point is not to keep 76-year-old Polanski off the streets or help his victim feel safe. The point is that drugging and raping a child, then leaving the country before you can be sentenced for it, is behavior our society should not -- and at least in theory, does not -- tolerate, no matter how famous, wealthy or well-connected you are, no matter how old you were when you finally got caught, no matter what your victim says about it now, no matter how mature she looked at 13, no matter how pushy her mother was, and no matter how many really swell movies you've made.

There are people on the left who want Polanski to go to jail - - Salon.com , many of the commenters @ Huffington Post (which is in a brawl because while the writers are defending Polanski, many of the READERS aren't)

. . .but not in Hollywood.

Or on DU, it seems.

~QC

BSR
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
You people are nuts. If it was your daughter, you'd want justice for the crime against her.

Throw his ass in jail

djones520
09-30-2009, 11:57 AM
You people are nuts. If it was your daughter, you'd want justice for the crime against her.

Throw his ass in jail

If years of forced attendance to sexual assualt awareness training has taught me anything, it's that women are more then likely to forgive and forget then anything else. After years of pushing victims in the AF to come forward, there has only been a small percentage of increased reportings of sexual assualts. It's believed that there is still a large majority of those who just forget it ever happened and went on with their life.

I'm not sure what it is that drives this. I was sexually assualted when I was a child. I never spoke of it until 9 years later. Personally, now I would love nothing more then the perp to be strung up to several pick-ups driving in opposite directions, but it's to late to do anything about it. But it really doesn't suprise me that many would want to just let it go. But that is why we cannot let it go. If we show that it's ok. If the victim is unable to come forward about it, or whatever, then we're just going to let it go, then the problem will never stop.

BSR
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
If years of forced attendance to sexual assualt awareness training has taught me anything, it's that women are more then likely to forgive and forget then anything else. After years of pushing victims in the AF to come forward, there has only been a small percentage of increased reportings of sexual assualts. It's believed that there is still a large majority of those who just forget it ever happened and went on with their life.

I'm not sure what it is that drives this. I was sexually assualted when I was a child. I never spoke of it until 9 years later. Personally, now I would love nothing more then the perp to be strung up to several pick-ups driving in opposite directions, but it's to late to do anything about it. But it really doesn't suprise me that many would want to just let it go. But that is why we cannot let it go. If we show that it's ok. If the victim is unable to come forward about it, or whatever, then we're just going to let it go, then the problem will never stop.

I agree. Never let it go..

Sorry about what happened to you.. Seriously.

djones520
09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I agree. Never let it go..

Sorry about what happened to you.. Seriously.

Thanks.

The thing that infuriates me is that every state has a statute of limitations for this crap. Like I said, it took 9 years for me to be able to talk about it. By that point, I couldn't seek any legal recourse at all. Many people will go years, and even decades before they'll be able to open up about it, if ever. Having that statute only protects sexual predators, no one else.

noonwitch
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM

A lot of women who were sexually abused as children may forgive the perpetrator for a lot of different reasons, including just being able to let go of the anger and move on with their lives. In this case, I would imagine that seeing her perp win Oscars and receive celebrity treatment in Europe led her to believe she was never going to see legal justice, and that letting go of her anger was what she needed to do to get on with her life.

I agree with you in principle about not letting sexual abuse cases go, because victims do need to be able to come forward, especially if it is abuse that is occurring in their own home. I'm surprised at how Hollywood is going all out to support Polanski-directors, actors, etc. If he had any decency, he'd stop fighting extradition, hire a CA lawyer, and make a deal, serve his time, and get it over with so he can go back to making movies.

I don't think anyone forgets it, unless she represses the memories, or was a very small child when it occurred.

When the rape originally occurred in the 70s, there was a great joke around:

q: Did you hear about the new Roman Polanski film?
a: It's called "Close Encounters With The Third Grade".

Elspeth
09-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, I just read the whole story, including the girl's Supreme Court testimony,and I retract my statement that it was 30 years ago so let it go.. He gave a 13 year old quaaludes and champagne and had not just sex with her but anal sex, too, after she said no.. He should pay for that..

THANK YOU. That transcript on Smoking Gun plus her picture (I'm sorry she could NOT pass for 17 or 18!) lead me to say lock him up, throw away the key, and put Debra Winger, Harvey Weinstein and Whoopie Goldberg in with him.