PDA

View Full Version : A 'Principled Conservative' (HEY FLORIDA - WHERE DO YOU STAND?)

PoliCon
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
MIAMI -- Florida, a geological afterthought, was the last portion of what are now the lower 48 states to emerge from the ocean, and it emerged halfheartedly: Its highest point is just 345 feet above sea level. But the fourth-most-populous state will loom over American politics next summer when Republicans select a Senate nominee. Their primary will test whether the party has become so risk-averse that it flinches from interesting choices.

Arguing with Idiots By Glenn Beck

The nominee almost certainly will be either Gov. Charlie Crist or Marco Rubio, former speaker of the Florida House (term limits, which he supports, retired him). Leading national Republicans rushed to endorse Crist. In tennis, such decisions are called unforced errors.

Republican Sen. Mel Martinez was elected in 2004. In 2007 the Republican National Committee, worried about declining GOP strength among Hispanics, made Martinez, who was born in Cuba, chairman of the party, a position for someone with a zest for politics. Last December, however, Martinez said he would not seek re-election to the Senate, and last month he said he would not even wait until 2010 to skedaddle. He resigned.

Not wanting to be a senator is understandable, but . . .

CONTINUED (http://townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeWill/2009/09/27/a_principled_conservative)

So I'm wondering - FLORIDIANS - which side do you guys fall on in this?

AHeneen
09-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Rubio. I liked Christ when he first became governor, but my opinion has gone far south since then. The man is a classic RINO...attending both McCain and (many) Obama visits to FL during the election. Since then, he has welcomed stimulus funds with open arms and attended an Obama visit in which he was far to flattering of O for comfort. He has opposed oil drilling off our coasts. He has promised to make our state more prepared for hurricanes by establishing a disaster fund, but that fund amounts to nothing in the event of a significant storm. He has rejected attempts by numerous insurance agencies to raise rates...which, of course, is the popular public opinion...but the downside is that without rate increases the insurance agencies don't find FL profitable/too risky and so we've had several agencies leave the state (most notably State Farm is leaving the home insurance industry in the state...with over 2 million policy holders). And with fewer agencies in the state (and restrictions on how many policies those agencies can issue) more people are fleeing to the grossly underfunded backup insurer which is funded by...wanna take a guess?...the state government!!! He got married to a woman he only knew a few months while in office...most of us believe it was only because he was eying a nomination for VP. But the biggest problem I have with Christ is his appointment of La Mieux as interim senator. I can understand not wanting to appoint someone who will not run against you later, but appointing a political ally with absolutely no experience as an elected official (he ran once for state HoR and lost) is quite despicable. I could continue, but don't feel like fact checking what I think I know.

The equally big problem in this state is the Republican Party this past year. It seems they are lowering themselves to a standard more appropriate for northern Dems. When Gov. Christ announced he was running for Senate, the Republican Party immediately backed him as their man...ignoring a couple of others (including Rubio) who had already announced their candidacy. For several months earlier this year there were tv ads touting what the Attorney General's office was working hard to accomplish. It surprising that when the AG announced his candidacy for governor, the RPoF backed him immediately (as in remarks minutes later at the same press conference)...overlooking (again) a couple of other worthy candidates. I think the RPoF is taking game plans from Democrats! And it sickens me...

FlaGator
09-30-2009, 06:25 AM
The southern half of the State tends to vote liberal while the northern half leans conservative. When it comes to Crist, I have lost a lot of respect for him when he took Obama's handout. I suspect that I will not vote for him next time around either as Governor or for the Senate. Too many liberal tendencies became apparent during his first term to cause me a bit of unease. I will have to see who the choices are before I can be sure but I don't feel I can voter for Crist.

noonwitch
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Rumor has it that Crist is about to be publicly outed by some magazine.

PoliCon
09-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Rumor has it that Crist is about to be publicly outed by some magazine.

outed as gay outed?

ralph wiggum
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
outed as gay outed?

Yeah, I think the DUmmies have been claiming this was going to happen for years. Kind of like Rove being indicted, or President Bush being impeached.

PoliCon
10-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I think the DUmmies have been claiming this was going to happen for years. Kind of like Rove being indicted, or President Bush being impeached.

I guess being gay is okay unless you're a conservative. :rolleyes: