PDA

View Full Version : Poster Of President Obama Causing Controversy in Richmond

megimoo
09-28-2009, 12:51 PM
"IF IT WERE A SIGN OF GEORGE W BUSH, NO PROBLEMO !"

Depicts the President As the Joker From Batman

RICHMOND - A sign depicting President Barack Obama in the image of the joker from Batman is causing a stir.

The large sign hangs outside Club Velvet in Shockoe Bottom and many in the community are reacting to it. And some are even asking the owner of the club to take it down.

Thirteen year old Jamilia Cunningham is one of them. She says when she saw the banner she was left speechless and that the image is disrespectful to a man who has made history.

"I wanted to be the first African American President and I am happy that I didn't have to wait that long to get one," said Cunningham.

She put her feelings about the banner in a letter that she wrote to Club Velvet's Owner Sam Moore. In it she told him that the sign was hurtful and asked him to take it down. Moore declined to talk with Cunningham but did release a statement about why he put the banner up. He said his display is not intended to make a racial statement but rather to express his displeasure with the Obama administration.

"This country is going to hell in a hand bag and the current administration is making things irreversibly worse," said Moore.

Some local residents say the banner is making a statement to all who pass by...and not necessarily a good one.

"I'm a little offended. It's not in good taste," said neighbor Al Hughes.

Others in the community pointed out that what is distasteful in this case isn't illegal.

"In America there's freedom of speech though it doesn't really matter," said passerby Sean Lambert.

But it is a matter of concern for some in the community who say they will continue to challenge it.

"This is tearing people apart," said Barbra Brown.

http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-obama-poster,0,7687965.story

PoliCon
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
"IF IT WERE A SIGN OF GEORGE W BUSH, NO PROBLEMO !"

Depicts the President As the Joker From Batman

RICHMOND - A sign depicting President Barack Obama in the image of the joker from Batman is causing a stir.

The large sign hangs outside Club Velvet in Shockoe Bottom and many in the community are reacting to it. And some are even asking the owner of the club to take it down.

Thirteen year old Jamilia Cunningham is one of them. She says when she saw the banner she was left speechless and that the image is disrespectful to a man who has made history.

"I wanted to be the first African American President and I am happy that I didn't have to wait that long to get one," said Cunningham.

She put her feelings about the banner in a letter that she wrote to Club Velvet's Owner Sam Moore. In it she told him that the sign was hurtful and asked him to take it down. Moore declined to talk with Cunningham but did release a statement about why he put the banner up. He said his display is not intended to make a racial statement but rather to express his displeasure with the Obama administration.

"This country is going to hell in a hand bag and the current administration is making things irreversibly worse," said Moore.

Some local residents say the banner is making a statement to all who pass by...and not necessarily a good one.

"I'm a little offended. It's not in good taste," said neighbor Al Hughes.

Others in the community pointed out that what is distasteful in this case isn't illegal.

"In America there's freedom of speech though it doesn't really matter," said passerby Sean Lambert.

But it is a matter of concern for some in the community who say they will continue to challenge it.

"This is tearing people apart," said Barbra Brown.

http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-obama-poster,0,7687965.story

As usual - it's painted as racism.