PDA

View Full Version : Five things that would make atheists seem nicer

FlaGator
09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I found this most amusing.... :) (http://st-eutychus.com/2009/five-things-that-would-make-atheists-seem-nicer/)

Here are five tips for my atheist friends to help them seem nicer and more reasonable.
1. Stop being so smug.
2. Don’t assume every piece of Christian evangelism is directed at you – we want the undecideds, not the decided-uns.
3. Admit that the debate about God’s existence is complex – and that it can, depending on your presuppositions, be quite possible for intelligent and rational people to intelligently believe in an intervening deity who communicates through a book.
4. Admit that the scientific method – which by its nature relies on induction rather than deduction (starting with a hypothesis and testing it rather than observing facts and forming a hypothesis) – is as open to abuse as any religious belief, and is neither objective nor infallible.
5. Try to deal with the actual notions of God seriously believed in by millions of people rather than inventing strawmen (or spaghetti monsters) to dismiss the concepts of God – and deal with the Bible paying attention to context and the broader Christological narrative rather than quoting obscure Old Testament laws. By all means quote the laws when they are applied incorrectly by “Christians” – but understand how they’re meant to work before dealing with the Christians described in point 3.

Rockntractor
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
I know one thing that would make them nicer. A taxidermist!

PoliCon
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I found this most amusing.... :) (http://st-eutychus.com/2009/five-things-that-would-make-atheists-seem-nicer/)

and most agreeable.

expat-pattaya
09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
5 Things that would make holier than thou religious believers nicer and more reasonable:

1) Stop being so smug.
2) Don't assume that because someone else doesn't believe that they are trying to convince you of the same. Personally, I don't give a damn what you believe.
3) Admit that the "books" (bible, koran, etc) are all written by MEN. There is zero evidence that there was any intervening higher deity involved in their authoring.
4) Admit that while the scientific method is flawed, it at least is founded on measurable data and the concept of testing ones beliefs. Religion is based solely on "acceptance"
5) Stop acting superior because you believe in an invisible man in the sky.

If any of the above annoys anyone - tough shit. The original post annoyed me. I am not smug. I do not run around misinterpreting anyone or anything. I simply do not believe there is a higher deity watching us. Period. This post assumes ALL atheists act like buttholes. Not so. Should I assume that all believers act like morons? Many do in case you missed it.

I don't care what you believe and am not intimidated by it. Nor do I worry about prayer in school or a cross erected on state lands in the 1930's. I do worry about religion run amuck such as the taliban in Afghanistan. Or Christianity in the dark ages. Today in the USA it is not a problem. If I had a child in school and I felt they were indoctrinating him/her I would intervene. If the school board wishes to have a prayer in a faculty lunch I don't care. My nephews graduated from a Catholic High School (and no one in the family is catholic). The school did a fine job without clouding their minds.

I recognize that I live in a nation founded by and on Christian people and values. I prefer to say Merry Christmas than Happy Holidays. But no, I don't go to church on Easter. In fact, I will only go if invited for a wedding or funeral.

I do not fear nor ridicule religion. It simply does not compute to me. And I do not apologize for it. How bout that being good enough?

FlaGator
09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Here are five tips for people who take things way to seriously to help them seem nicer and more reasonable.
1. Remember the world is not about you.
2. Not every post is directed at you.
3. If jokes on message forums offend you find a new hobby
4. Admit that if the posts had been turned around you probably wouldn't have replied but would have thought it pretty funny
5. Don't take offense at this post since it wasn't meant to be serious anyway.

:D

Rockntractor
09-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Here are five tips for people who take things way to seriously to help them seem nicer and more reasonable.
3. If jokes offend you find a new hobby
4. Admit that if the posts had been turned around you probably wouldn't have replied but would have thought it pretty funny

It would be easier to kill them and stuff them!:D

megimoo
09-28-2009, 10:29 PM
It would be easier to kill them and stuff them!:DTrue but that's not the Christian way !

Rockntractor
09-28-2009, 10:35 PM
True but that's not the Christian way !

Forgiveness Moo! We always have forgiveness!:)

AlmostThere
09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Things that would make holier than thou religious believers nicer and more reasonable:

1) Stop being so smug.
2) Don't assume that because someone else doesn't believe that they are trying to convince you of the same. Personally, I don't give a damn what you believe.
3) Admit that the "books" (bible, koran, etc) are all written by MEN. There is zero evidence that there was any intervening higher deity involved in their authoring.
4) Admit that while the scientific method is flawed, it at least is founded on measurable data and the concept of testing ones beliefs. Religion is based solely on "acceptance"
5) Stop acting superior because you believe in an invisible man in the sky.

If any of the above annoys anyone - tough shit. The original post annoyed me. I am not smug. I do not run around misinterpreting anyone or anything. I simply do not believe there is a higher deity watching us. Period. This post assumes ALL atheists act like buttholes. Not so. Should I assume that all believers act like morons? Many do in case you missed it.

I don't care what you believe and am not intimidated by it. Nor do I worry about prayer in school or a cross erected on state lands in the 1930's. I do worry about religion run amuck such as the taliban in Afghanistan. Or Christianity in the dark ages. Today in the USA it is not a problem. If I had a child in school and I felt they were indoctrinating him/her I would intervene. If the school board wishes to have a prayer in a faculty lunch I don't care. My nephews graduated from a Catholic High School (and no one in the family is catholic). The school did a fine job without clouding their minds.

I recognize that I live in a nation founded by and on Christian people and values. I prefer to say Merry Christmas than Happy Holidays. But no, I don't go to church on Easter. In fact, I will only go if invited for a wedding or funeral.

I do not fear nor ridicule religion. It simply does not compute to me. And I do not apologize for it. How bout that being good enough?

I can appreciate this. About 7 or 8 years ago we had a temp receptionist for a few weeks. One week was a very nice lady who it turned out was a very committed evangelical. While I didn't share her beliefs I did appreciate her commitment. We had some common interests and would chat sometimes. I don't know exactly how the subject came up, but one day she tells me how the world is only 6,000 years old. I ask her how this jibes with all the scientific evidence of the earth being several billion years old. Our relationship immediately became hostile and confrontational. If she wanted to believe the earth was 6000 years old fine, but she was totally unwilling for anyone to have any other view.

expat-pattaya
09-29-2009, 03:24 AM
3. If jokes on message forums offend you find a new hobby

I'm sure that's how racist jokes are passed on ;)

expat-pattaya
09-29-2009, 03:31 AM
I can appreciate this. About 7 or 8 years ago we had a temp receptionist for a few weeks. One week was a very nice lady who it turned out was a very committed evangelical. While I didn't share her beliefs I did appreciate her commitment. We had some common interests and would chat sometimes. I don't know exactly how the subject came up, but one day she tells me how the world is only 6,000 years old. I ask her how this jibes with all the scientific evidence of the earth being several billion years old. Our relationship immediately became hostile and confrontational. If she wanted to believe the earth was 6000 years old fine, but she was totally unwilling for anyone to have any other view.

I really have no problem with anything anyone wishes to believe. Life is hard enough. If it helps someone to believe something greater is out there then I am happy for them. And who knows. Maybe I am wrong and there IS a supreme being. But it is sad when someone must get agreement from everyone. I was in my local guitar store one day chatting with fellow guitar junkies when somehow (not sure how it came up as I don't wave an "atheist" flag nor comment on others when they wave the religion flag) another guy discovered I was not a believer. He became a bit angry and asked how did all this come into being. I guess in some way it made him feel threatened that not everyone felt as he did. :rolleyes:

I enjoy conversations with religious people who remain rational and respectful. How else can we challenge our own beliefs. I was raised christian. There is a lot of good to say about the influence christianity has had on history (with some exceptions) and how it has formed this nation. But I would be a hypocrite if I claimed to believe in a god. And that I won't be.

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 06:05 AM
It would be easier to kill them and stuff them!:D

notice it's about making them SEEM nicer - not necessarily BE nicer ;)

FlaGator
09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm sure that's how racist jokes are passed on ;)

You are probably right... but I didn't mean any offense. I just thought it was amusing.

expat-pattaya
09-29-2009, 08:57 AM
You are probably right... but I didn't mean any offense. I just thought it was amusing.

No problem. I'm not really sensitive. I just wanted to make sure you guys understand that MANY conservatives are also athiests. And we aren't ALL assholes :D

linda22003
09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't even know anyone who claims to be atheist, or who wants to be confrontational about it.

djones520
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't even know anyone who claims to be atheist, or who wants to be confrontational about it.

I've never been confrontational about it. I sure have recieved a hell of a lot of flak from my Christian mother in law about it though. And I've been attacked more then a few times on sites like this about being Atheist.

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM

I do on both counts. I also know some very wonderful people who just happen to be atheists.