PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Tooth Tuesday

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
High: 80 °F RealFeel®: 80 °F Time to head to Leonard Mountain. I'm grading the mile long driveway; it had a lot of wash this time. I had to order 8 loads of gravel.

TOTD: I’m kind of running out of ideas lately. When I drove up to Vinita last Wednesday I stopped at an Amish cheese shop. I bought several kinds of cheese and some summer sausage. The best thing they had was some white butter pecan fudge with a layer of caramel in the middle it was fantastic. The Amish could go to hell for packing fudge this sinfully good! What is your favorite homemade candy?

lacarnut
09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Only 2 more days left on the beach. Struck up a conversation with another Louisianan late yesterday evening. His wife made chicken and sausage gumbo and he offered me some. Cajuns sure know how to cook as it was dynamite. He is going to BQ this evening and invited me. Gonna have to buy him a 12 pack of beer.

TOTD. Not much of a candy eater but am a choc-a-holic when it comes to cookies and ice cream .

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Only 2 more days left on the beach. Struck up a conversation with another Louisianan late yesterday evening. His wife made chicken and sausage gumbo and he offered me some. Cajuns sure know how to cook as it was dynamite. He is going to BQ this evening and invited me. Gonna have to buy him a 12 pack of beer.

TOTD. Not much of a candy eater but am a choc-a-holic when it comes to cookies and ice cream .

I love Cajun food! I make a lot of Boudin and every kind of Gumbo.

lacarnut
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I love Cajun food! I make a lot of Boudin and every kind of Gumbo.

Me too. I like food a tad on the spicy side. I ate lunch, blackend salmon, yesterday at Cosmos in Orange Beach. Supposed to be the best restaurant in town but not on par with those back home. I have never found a great seafood restaurant in AL or FL so I wind up cooking most of the time.

stsinner
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Peanut Butter Fudge...

Gingersnap
09-29-2009, 12:09 PM
It's very fine early fall day in Colorful Colorado. We might make the low 80s before it's done.

TOTD: I seldom make candy but then I seldom eat it so that's probably why. I have a real weakness for homemade cookies, however. It's just about time to make up some spice cookies. ;)

BadCat
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
It's very fine early fall day in Colorful Colorado. We might make the low 80s before it's done.

TOTD: I seldom make candy but then I seldom eat it so that's probably why. I have a real weakness for homemade cookies, however. It's just about time to make up some spice cookies. ;)

We never make candy at home, but we have a recipe for "Red Wine / Caramel Apples" we're going to do for Halloween.

Gingersnap
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
We never make candy at home, but we have a recipe for "Red Wine / Caramel Apples" we're going to do for Halloween.

Caramel apples aren't too fussy to make, just put down more paper towels or whatever than think you need because you'll need a lot. ;)

noonwitch
09-29-2009, 12:51 PM
It's cold today, cloudy with on and off light showers. The high is supposed to be 57.

My favorite home-made candy is the white chocolate chip cookies my mom taught me to make. I melt a package of white chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Then I add 1 and 1/4 cups of Rice Crispies and 1 cup marshmallows. You can add a cup of peanuts to it, too. Melt them all together on the stove and spoon out onto wax paper for them to harden.

Teetop
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
The Amish could go to hell for packing fudge this sinfully good!

:eek:

WTF, Rock!???? Just what are you doing with the Amish? :p

Cooler, in the 80's, breezy today.

TOTD; I love candy, mainly chocolate...

RobJohnson
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I ate at Long John Silver's for lunch, it now feels like the fish are swimming around in my digestive tract.

TOTD: Fudge is good, a little goes along way. I also like homemade caramels & sponge candy.

BadCat
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I ate at Long John Silver's for lunch, it now feels like the fish are swimming around in my digestive tract.

TOTD: Fudge is good, a little goes along way. I also like homemade caramels & sponge candy.

What the heck is sponge candy?

Gingersnap
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM

You've got me. I know what sponge is and I know what candy is but I have no idea what 'sponge candy' may be.

Obviously, he needs to inform us in Recipes. :confused:

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Now we have to wait until he gets off work.

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Mid 50s and rainy all day.

TOTD: I ADORE the Reese Big cups. I could eat them until I puke. Same way with Sweedish fish. Once bought a huge dispenser box of them at Sam's - BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Ever puke up Sweedish fish? Not fun let me tell you . . ..

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 11:25 PM

TOTD: I ADORE the Reese Big cups. I could eat them until I puke. Same way with Sweedish fish. Once bought a huge dispenser box of them at Sam's - BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Ever puke up Sweedish fish? Not fun let me tell you . . ..
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/swedish_fish.jpg?t=1254281020

They look like gummy bears. Do they taste good?

Teetop
09-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Sugar high....

I love Reeses and "Gummy" worms/bears/whatever. Mit Bier, Bitte.

Lots of sugar, for sure.

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/swedish_fish.jpg?t=1254281020

They look like gummy bears. Do they taste good?

They are wonderful - a bit heavier than gummy bears though - and I cannot stop eating them once I start.

RobJohnson
09-30-2009, 02:30 AM

I used to buy it from a candy shop in Moline, IL.

I found this on the web:

Sponge Candy is one of those things that’s really hard to describe without actually experiencing it. The Sponge Candy center is a simply flavored piece, caramelized sugar, almost molasses-like with a very unusual, crisp at first, then melt-away texture. We then load this center with as much milk chocolate as it will carry. When you bite into a piece of our Sponge Candy, you experience not only the chocolate’s opposing properties of solid firmness giving away to melty smoothness, but you get the center’s crispness immediately dissolving with a very complimentary mixing of chocolate and caramelized flavors. We’ve never read a description of Sponge Candy that’s come close to the experience of actually eating it and we’re sure this description is no better.

http://www.spongecandy.com/faqs-policies/sponge-candy-in-general/

RobJohnson
09-30-2009, 02:31 AM

My doctor told me to include more fish in my diet, so I started with these!

Sweedish fish are awesome!