PDA

View Full Version : Should Roman Polanski be Arrested?

patriot45
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I happen to think he should spend the rest of his days rotting in prison. So I vote yes!

patriot45
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Here is some background.

So. Three decades after he fled Los Angeles, director Roman Polanski was arrested in Switzerland.

In 1977, Polanski pled guilty of "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor" to avoid being charged with rape by use of drugs (he gave alcohol and quaaludes to the then-13-year-old female model he was doing a photo shoot with) and sodomy, amongst other charges. He fled the United States before his sentencing and has been avoiding traveling to countries that could extradite him ever since. The victim has since forgiven him and settled a civil suit against Polanski for an unspecified amount.

Granted, the Polanski case was tawdry. It was filled with celebrity, sex, drugs and violence (not to mention charges of ethical misconduct of the judge presiding over the case). In short, it was the stuff of Hollywood. So the media frenzy of the arrest was not unexpected. But what surprised me was the diplomatic row that ensued when both France and Poland (Polanski is a dual citizen of both countries) protested Polanski’s arrest.

Is rape of a minor not a serious offense in those two countries? How about fleeing and being a fugitive from the law (while not exactly hiding – Polanski continued to direct award-winning films even with warrants outstanding)? Was the arrest outrageous, as journalist Anne Applebaum wrote in a column for The Washington Post? Or was it justice finally being served?

FeebMaster
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Up to his victim, as far as I'm concerned.

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Good answer.

patriot45
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM

I think I read she is 44 and a mother of three. I don't blame her for not wanting to be dragged through it again. But the flip side is if you got money and evade the law long enuf, alls good. Thats bad!

SarasotaRepub
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey, we all know it's the Jooooooosss!! :p

I'd let him go.

Over the Atlantic at 50,000 feet.

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Have him pay the victim any amount she wants and then send him back to live with the frogs!

stsinner
09-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Unfortunately, I think his victim prolly got rich over the years...

FeebMaster
09-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately, I think his victim prolly got rich over the years...

How is that unfortunate?

patriot45
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM
How is that unfortunate?

I'm sure lots a pockets got lined to keep the rapist safe. He should be jailed!

FeebMaster
09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm sure lots a pockets got lined to keep the rapist safe. He should be jailed!

If that's the case, he effectively paid restitution to his victim, which is more than most get.

patriot45
09-29-2009, 09:40 PM
If that's the case, he effectively paid restitution to his victim, which is more than most get.

Restitution = punishment? If you do a crime, you can't be allowed to plead guilty, skip and make pay offs untill the bleeding hearts say: Its okay now enuf time went by and no one wants to be mean, you go free!
Jail is too good for him. He was 45 when he raped a 13 year old.

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Restitution = punishment? If you do a crime, you can't be allowed to plead guilty, skip and make pay offs untill the bleeding hearts say: Its okay now enuf time went by and no one wants to be mean, you go free!
Yes but he is a Hollywood liberal!

patriot45
09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes but he is a Hollywood liberal!

Ok, then not jail, dismemberment!! :D

FeebMaster
09-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Of course restitution is punishment. It is arguably a better punishment than jail. At least the victim benefits.

patriot45
09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Of course restitution is punishment. It is arguably a better punishment than jail. At least the victim benefits.

Restitution can be part of punishment. If Polanski wasn't well off and a liberati, he'd be in jail. We can't make the criminal the victim! 18 year olds go to jail for doing thier 15 yr old girlfriends, a worse punishment for something not as disgusting!

PoliCon
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM

I disagree. His crime was one against society as well as against the individual. He drugged her and had sex with her and feels no remorse about it.

Rockntractor
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I disagree. His crime was one against society as well as against the individual. He drugged her and had sex with her and feels no remorse about it.

Where is Wilbur? He needs to weigh in now!

SarasotaRepub
09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Where is Wilbur? He needs to weigh in now!

Ha,ha,ha!! I was thinking the same. :D

patriot45
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Ha,ha,ha!! I was thinking the same. :D

I try! :D

FeebMaster
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm just going to bow out now before this degenerates into a thread about anarchy.

SarasotaRepub
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
:d

Bwahahahahaha!!!

SaintLouieWoman
09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
I happen to think he should spend the rest of his days rotting in prison. So I vote yes!
I agree, also voted yes. It looks like most of us agree.

JB
09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm just going to bow out now before this degenerates into a thread about anarchy.I'm pretty sure you opened that door with your first reply.

I guess if you have the means you can drug and rape 13 year olds with impunity. Does that cover it?

FlaGator
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Good answer.

I don't know. Should it be up to the victim of spousal abuse to decide if her abuser goes to jail or not?

Gingersnap
09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

I think he should be arrested but spending the next few years left to him in jail seems pointless. He should be forced to do community service. His community service should entail speaking engagements where he tells middle-aged potential pervs that drugging and raping underage groupies is not a nice thing to do.

That would be way more painful for him. ;)

Teetop
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I voted, yes, because being able to shoot him myself, wasn't available.:mad:

I hope Bubba sodomizes him, in the big house.

Further thinking concludes, the fool might enjoy that....:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
09-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know. Should it be up to the victim of spousal abuse to decide if her abuser goes to jail or not?
I really don't know how to relate that to this thread. I did vote that he should go to jail because as others pointed out his crime was against our society as well as his victim.

SaintLouieWoman
09-30-2009, 11:02 PM
A local radio talk guy went into the transcripts and read some of the details. It made me even angrier. The 13 year old wanted to be a model and agreed to photos. He took her to a house and photographed her topless. Then he took her to Jack Nicholson's home (who wasn't there at the time), and started with her. The young girl testified how she repeatedly said no, cried, pleaded for him to take her home. He did it not only once, but another time (this time anal). I don't care how much he might have bribed her over the years, he deserves to do time, not cavort in France and other sympathetic countries. He's a pig.

What's even more disgusting are the likes of Whoopie Goldberg and others who say it was so long ago and think he shouldn't be punished. :mad:

The Hollywood libs don't get it. They think those of us in "flyover country" are rubes. I'm proud to not be one of them.