PDA

View Full Version : Bette Midler Warns Glenn Beck Could Set Off a Rwanda-Like Civil War in U.S.

Gingersnap
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Bette Midler Warns Glenn Beck Could Set Off a Rwanda-Like Civil War in U.S.
By Jeff Poor (Bio | Archive)
September 30, 2009 - 07:50 ET

It's just what the primetime cable news lineup needed - another hour-long program tilted toward left-of-center politics with character assassination on conservatives.

CNN Headline News debuted its "The Joy Behar Show" on Sept. 29, which included appearances by lefty comedian Jeanane Garofalo, CNN's Jack Cafferty and actress Bette Midler. Garofalo doubled down on her low regard for conservative 9/12 and tea party protesters, labeling them as racists. Cafferty went after President Barack Obama for his disregard of the carbon footprint his lobbying efforts in Copenhagen for Chicago to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.

However, actress-turned-Vegas entertainer Bette Midler went straight after former CNN Headline News host Glenn Beck. She was prodded by host Joy Behar, who mentioned Beck as someone who is encouraging a breakdown in so-called "political discourse."

"Someone like Glenn Beck has made gazillions of dollars because he's out there being sort of hateful in many ways," Behar said. "He calls himself a clown and a comedian. Do you think it's funny?"

Midler confirmed what one would probably expect - she's not a fan of Beck at all.

"I don't think he's funny even a little bit," Midler said. "I've never had a laugh from Glenn Beck. In fact, I find him terrifying. I find him terrifying. He's like an old school demagogue, and it's really frightening."

What did Midler compare Beck to? She likened the popular Fox News host to the instigators of the Rwandan civil war, which was the catalyst for the Rwandan genocide where an estimated 800,000 to 1 million lost their lives.

"If you look around at the rest of the world and what this kind of behavior has done, like in Rwanda, where the demagogues got on the radio and fomented all that hate between the Tutsis and the Hutus and the devastation that happened from that, I mean, it's terrifying," Midler said.

According to Midler, that's a possibility in the United States.

"And that could happen, you know, you could turn on a dime," Midler warned. "That could happen here."

Just what we need: more over-the-hill entertainers weighing in on political discourse in the United States. :rolleyes:

Newsbusters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2009/09/30/bette-midler-warns-glenn-beck-could-set-rwanda-civil-war-u-s)

djones520
09-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Let them shoot their mouths off. They look like the horses ass, and it's just drawing more attention to Becks message.

Elspeth
09-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Let them shoot their mouths off. They look like the horses ass, and it's just drawing more attention to Becks message.

The more they talk about him, the more they draw attention to him. That is very true.

megimoo
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
The more they talk about him, the more they draw attention to him. That is very true.

Hocus Pocus - I Put A Spell On You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDidHzwYu3E

Rockntractor
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Why would anyone possibly care what Bette Midler thinks about anyone.

patriot45
09-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Becks book common Sense, was just that! About common sense. I'm in the middle of Arguing With Idiots and so far he is again talking about common sense. He hits left and right, of course there are more stupid people on the left so no suprise they hate him. I guarantee that these idiots will not read any of his books and still feel like an expert critic!
Lefty loons are just talking to each other anymore!

SarasotaRepub
10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
However, actress-turned-Vegas entertainer Bette Midler

Who in Gods name would fly to Vegas and waste time and money
seeing this old witch??? :confused:

linda22003
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I can't think of any reason to go to Vegas, period, but she did a great show years ago with her backup group, the Harlettes. :p

linda22003
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll probably read most of Beck's book while I'm standing in the bookstore, if only to see why he appears to be a doorman of some kind on the cover.

AmPat
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I can't think of any reason to go to Vegas, period, but she did a great show years ago with her backup group, the Harlettes. :p

Harlettes? That sounds suspiciously like Harlots to me. Was Bette projecting?:eek:

stsinner
10-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Why would anyone possibly care what Bette Midler thinks about anyone.

Or any of the yentas on the View... That show makes my ears bleed...

PoliCon
10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Here is the answer to Midler:

http://www.pjtv.com/video/AlfonZo_Rachel_Presents%3A_ZoNation/Protect_Yourself_From_Hollywood_PSA/2515/

Rockntractor
10-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Or any of the yentas on the View... That show makes my ears bleed...
I refuse to watch trash like that!

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Like Rwanda???

Okay, who is a Hutu and who is a Tootsie?

Say that three times fast.

I don't feel like a Hutu. I feel more like a Tootsie. ...

Yes, I am definitely a Tootsie.

Unless everyone else here is a Hutu. ...

Dang, I'm confused.....:confused:

linda22003
10-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Harlettes? That sounds suspiciously like Harlots to me. Was Bette projecting?:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlettes

lacarnut
10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Just what we need: more over-the-hill entertainers weighing in on political discourse in the United States. :rolleyes:

Newsbusters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2009/09/30/bette-midler-warns-glenn-beck-could-set-rwanda-civil-war-u-s)

I guess the stupid bitch does not realize that Bubba sat on his hands while ethnic cleansing took place in Rwanda.

ralph wiggum
10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I tell you what, when I'm looking for serious political analysis, I've ALWAYS gone straight to Bette Midler.

:rolleyes:

stsinner
10-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I tell you what, when I'm looking for serious political analysis, I've ALWAYS gone straight to Bette Midler.

:rolleyes:

I usually base my beliefs on what Barbara Streisand has to say on a given issue.. When she's silent, I defer to Whoopi "Rape rape"] Goldberg.

Shannon
10-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Joy has her own show? I've noticed previews for a new show with Sherri in the starring role. Could this mean that The View is finally going to end? The poor housewives would be devastated. There is always Oprah to tell them how to think though.

RobJohnson
10-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Who in Gods name would fly to Vegas and waste time and money
seeing this old witch??? :confused:

President Obama did.

But he spent OUR money.

RobJohnson
10-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Bite your tounge! :D

Shannon
10-04-2009, 12:09 AM
President Obama did.

But he spent OUR money.

Thank God we have you around, rob. You are a fucking genius.

enslaved1
10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Bette Midler Warns Glenn Beck Could Set Off a Rwanda-Like Civil War in U.S.

Would that really be a bad thing? Even if the republicans gain back Congress, and Obama loses in '12, is it really going to be enough to get to the bottom of our government problems? What's that line, the blood of the revolutionary is the necessary fertilizer of the tree of liberty?

I just don't see any peaceful, electoral revolution being enough. That sucks, but it's the way things look.

submarinepainter
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Bette Midler is getting a little melodramatic, isn't she?

PoliCon
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Bette Midler is getting a little melodramatic, isn't she?

Nah - she's just being honest. Is every leftists desire to kill and maim their enemies - ie Conservatives.

SaintLouieWoman
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Bette Midler got her start in the bath houses in NYC. How this makes her a political analyst is beyond me.

The thought of a show with Joy Behar, Bette Midler and Garafalo is beyond obnoxious. But the good news is that Oprah had no effect on the Olympic committee. Maybe better judgement will become fashionable. Seeing the excesses of the far out libs just might turn the country back on the right course. Here's hoping.....

Radix
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
The Tootsies and the Hoo Toos........commentating.....

Awesome... Things will certainly get fixed now.