PDA

View Full Version : Philippines Mobilizes Armed Forces for Second Storm in a Week

Gingersnap
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Philippines Mobilizes Armed Forces for Second Storm in a Week
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Aaron Sheldrick and Francisco Alcuaz Jr.

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The Philippines mobilized its armed forces as Supertyphoon Parma headed for the country, threatening more heavy rains a week after Tropical Storm Ketsana devastated parts of Manila in Luzon and left 277 people dead.

The Navy has assembled a task force in northern Luzon, where Philippine forecasters expect Parma to make landfall on Oct. 3, spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Edgard Arevalo said in a phone interview. The Air Force will send trucks and rubber boats to facilitate evacuations when local officials request them, Air Force spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Gerardo Zamudio said.

Parma’s winds increased to 241 kilometers (150 miles) per hour today, according to the U.S. Navy Joint Typhoon Warning Center, making it a Category 4 storm, the second-strongest on the Saffir-Simpson scale. It’s forecast to get stronger before making landfall, according to the center.

The government “should prepare for the worst,” said Jose Bersales, emergency affairs director of World Vision Philippines, which is providing food and aid to 20,000 survivors of Ketsana.

The Philippines weather agency, which refers to Parma as Pepeng, raised its No. 1 storm signal for areas of southeastern Luzon today, meaning winds of between 30 and 60 kph are expected. A gale warning was issued for islands to the southeast of Luzon.

Parma was 516 kilometers east of the city of Tacloban at 2 p.m. local time, the U.S. center said. Tacloban is 575 kilometers southeast of Manila. Parma’s winds were gusting to 296 kph and waves near the eye are as high as 9 meters (29 feet), according to the U.S. center.

Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aPYb5nCCYutA)

SarasotaRepub
10-02-2009, 07:45 PM
They are saying this storm may stall just offshore. The steering
currents are next to nill. :( This could be really,really bad...

SarasotaRepub
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks to be bad but not as bad as they feared. (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/03/philippines.typhoon/index.html)

stsinner
10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
A devastating storm in the Philippines?? Good Lord!! That could cause tens of dollars in damage!

expat-pattaya
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
On a personal note, it is projected to hit Taiwan on Monday. I am scheduled to fly through Taiwan on Monday.

I is changing my trip. No way I want to check the box "fly through super typhoon" :D

SarasotaRepub
10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Here's the current and only Super-Typhoon out there...

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/wp200920_sat.jpg

Elspeth
10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Holy crap! That is one hell of a storm.

SarasotaRepub
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Holy crap! That is one hell of a storm.

Indeed! It's got a "Stadium Eye" now. Very impressive. Unless of course
the Eye passes over ya. :eek:

expat-pattaya
10-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Here's the current and only Super-Typhoon out there...

Yes. Parma WAS a Super Typhoon. It was reduced in intensity brushing the Philippines. Melor looks headed for Japan.

On a personal note, I rescheduled my trip to avoid Taiwan today and it looks like I could have made it no problem. Sometimes knowledge is not helpful.

SarasotaRepub
10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes. Parma WAS a Super Typhoon. It was reduced in intensity brushing the Philippines. Melor looks headed for Japan.

On a personal note, I rescheduled my trip to avoid Taiwan today and it looks like I could have made it no problem. Sometimes knowledge is not helpful.

LOL!! Better safe than Typhooned. :D

expat-pattaya
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL!! Better safe than Typhooned. :D

I guess. But this morning I notice that my flights all made it on time and I could be back home now. Where is my crying baby icon :D