View Full Version : Poll: Abortion Support Slips Since Obama's Election

PoliCon
10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
david-gibson
David Gibson
Columnist
Posted:
10/1/09

Americans have become markedly less supportive of legal abortion since President Obama's election. The country is almost evenly split on the contentious issue, while views in both camps appear to be hardening -- a trend that runs counter to Obama's longstanding desire to find common ground on the issue.

The shift is not too surprising given the election of a pro-choice president after two terms of a pro-life president, George W. Bush. Pro-choice forces were galvanized by the challenge Bush posed, and a similar dynamic seems to be occurring now, with religion proving to be an especially potent factor in rallying opponents of abortion.

CONTINUED (http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/01/abortion-poll-obama-mobilizes-the-opposition/)

noonwitch
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
A lot of times, the poll results are different due to how the question is asked.

If you ask "Is abortion morally wrong?" you'll get a different result than asking "Should abortion be legal?".

I really doubt that abortion will ever be re-criminalized in this country, but I think the republicans like to use it to keep christians voting for their party. Sort of the way the democrats use affirmative action to keep blacks voting for their tickets.

PoliCon
10-02-2009, 05:03 PM
If that's the case - then all the dems have to do to win the Christian vote would be to go anti-abortion. Do you HONESTLY think it's that simple?

wilbur
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
If that's the case - then all the dems have to do to win the Christian vote would be to go anti-abortion. Do you HONESTLY think it's that simple?

Most probably wouldn't believe them, if they tried.

PoliCon
10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Most probably wouldn't believe them, if they tried.

Because any fool could see that they were lying through their teeth.

ExLiberal
10-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Actually it is that simple for me. As conservative as I am, if Barack obama had been anti-abortion and vowed to criminalize it I would've voted for him in a heartbeat, regardless of all his other radical positions. Abortion is the biggest issue for me right now. I know it's easy to get desensitized to it because it's so common, but we can't lose sight of the fact an actual legalized genocide is going on in our country right now, on the most helpless, hopeless of all. And that tops any other moral issue I can think of.

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
So then why doesn't the democratic party do it?

Constitutionally Speaking
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
So then why doesn't the democratic party do it?

They would face a meltdown in their crazy base.

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 11:11 AM
They would face a meltdown in their crazy base.

because it's not as simple as being a way of 'controlling' a segment of voters.

Constitutionally Speaking
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM

yep

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 04:14 AM

Agreed. Ain't sayin everyone thinks like me! There are a lot of repubs who probably wouldn't vote for him even if he were anti-abortion. And then he'd have all of his party hating him too. Mad would not be a good move. I just personally feel abortion is the greatest moral issue our country (and the world) is facing right now, and it grieves me so much, that I'd accept the most radical liberal looney if he vowed to ban abortion (and take serious steps to reduce illegal abortion/encourage women to choose life).

linda22003
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=ExLiberal;195614I just personally feel abortion is the greatest moral issue our country (and the world) is facing right now, and it grieves me so much, that I'd accept the most radical liberal looney if he vowed to ban abortion (and take serious steps to reduce illegal abortion/encourage women to choose life).[/QUOTE]

You don't have the power of numbers behind you. The populace never ranks abortion higher than #5 or #6 on a list of political issues.

Any looney who "banned" abortion would be acting illegally and unconstitutionally, so voting for him/her would be equally looney.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 11:28 AM
You don't have the power of numbers behind you. The populace never ranks abortion higher than #5 or #6 on a list of political issues.

Any looney who "banned" abortion would be acting illegally and unconstitutionally, so voting for him/her would be equally looney.

So I have a choice between being looney or evil? I'll go with looney, thanks.

Do you want to know why they probably didn't mention abortion in the constitution? Because they never would've considered for a moment that society would want to legalize this satanic "procedure". Nor did they mention gay marriage, because they never would have dreamed in a million years such a perverse public desire would exist. The founding fathers would be turning in their graves if they saw what this country has become. You know who else would be turning in their graves? All the early day feminists. Practically ALL of them were against abortion. Even they saw how insanely evil it is...no matter how much people try to disguise and sugar-coat it. I really don't care if banning abortion is unconstitutional. We're talking about universal, transcendental morality here. Any country that legalizes murder is a criminal country. For murder is universally evil and condemned. Americans are NOT infallible in their judgments. I think that's pretty obvious by now.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 11:34 AM
"Guilty? Yes. No matter what the motive, love of ease, or a desire to save from suffering the unborn innocent, the woman is awfully guilty who commits the deed. It will burden her conscience in life, it will burden her soul in death; but oh, thrice guilty is he who...drove her to the desperation which impelled her to the crime!" -Susan B. Anthony, The Revolution, 1869

"Every woman knows that if she were free, she would never bear an unwished-for child, nor think of murdering one before its birth." -Victoria Woodhull, America's first female presidential candidate. Wheeling, West Virginia Evening Standard November 17, 1875

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women."
-Alice Paul, the author of the original Equal Rights Amendment (1923)

"The gross perversion and destruction of motherhood by the abortionist filled me with indignation, and awakened active antagonism. That the honorable term “female physician” should be exclusively applied to those women who carried on this shocking trade seemed to me a horror. It was an utter degradation of what might and should become a noble position for women." -Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell, the first female physician, in her diary, where she recorded her thoughts about Madame Restell, an early New York abortionist. 1845.

linda22003
10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
So I have a choice between being looney or evil? I'll go with looney, thanks.

Do you want to know why they probably didn't mention abortion in the constitution? Because they never would've considered for a moment that society would want to legalize this satanic "procedure".

No, that's not the reason. Abortion was certainly known, and practiced, at the time. There were no specific state laws against abortion until the 1820s.
History's very interesting to read. Try some. :)

I don't think they mentioned ANY medical procedures in the Constitution. You can show me where, if I'm wrong on that.

linda22003
10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
You're quite right that early feminists were anti-abortion. However, quoting Victoria Woodhull as a champion of morality is an interesting choice. :D

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 12:36 PM
"There must be a remedy even for such a crying evil as this. But where shall it be found, at least where begin, if not in the complete enfranchisement and elevation of women?"
-Elizabeth Cady Stanton, The Revolution, 1(10):146-7 March 12, 1868

"Women becoming, consequently, weaker...than they ought to be...have not sufficient strength to discharge the first duty of a mother; and sacrificing to lasciviousness the parental affection...either destroy the embryo in the womb, or cast if off when born. Nature in every thing demands respect, and those who violate her laws seldom violate them with impunity."
-Mary Wollstonecraft

"The custom of procuring abortions has reached such appalling proportions in America as to be beyond belief...So great is the misery of the working classes that seventeen abortions are committed in every one hundred pregnancies."
-Emma Goldman, Mother Earth, 1911

"[This] subject lies deeper down in woman's wrongs than any other...I hesitate not to assert that most of [the responsibility for] this crime lies at the door of the male sex."
-Matilda Gage, The Revolution, 1(14):215-6 April 9, 1868

"We want prevention, not merely punishment. We must reach the root of the evil...It is practiced by those whose inmost souls revolt from the dreadful deed."
-Susan B. Anthony, The Revolution, 4(1):4 July 8, 1869

"Child murderers practice their profession without let or hindrance, and open infant butcheries unquestioned...Is there no remedy for all this ante-natal child murder?...Perhaps there will come a time when...an unmarried mother will not be despised because of her motherhood...and when the right of the unborn to be born will not be denied or interfered with."
- Sarah Norton

"When a man steals to satisfy hunger, we may safely conclude that there is something wrong in society - so when a woman destroys the life of her unborn child, it is an evidence that either by education or circumstances she has been greatly wronged."
-Mattie Brinkerhoff

"The rights of children as individuals begin while yet they remain the foetus."
Woodhull's and Claflin's Weekly 2(6):4 December 24, 1870
-Victoria Woodhull

linda22003
10-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Excellent cut and paste. I hope you've heard of, and have read about, all of these women. :) Certainly many of them were the "liberals" you profess to dislike.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Baby-cakes, or should I say baby-killer, snarkiness can only make you look so smart. I'd give it a rest every couple replies. And yes, obviously I'm going to copy and paste quotes. Who exactly do you know who'd memorize and write all of those out? And also... you're absolutely right! I do not support many of the ideologies of these feminists and certain things they promoted and fought for. I wasn't trying to be hypocritical in sounding like I support them. I was posting those quotes to show you what the early day feminists truly thought of abortion (despite what lying, deceptive feminist websites will have you know)....and to put a particular emphasis on what the early day feminists might think if they were to appear today and witness the abortion situation in our country. And the founding fathers, for that matter. Do we even need to speculate what their reactions might be? No. I don't think so.

linda22003
10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Baby-cakes, or should I say baby-killer, snarkiness can only make you look so smart. I'd give it a rest every couple replies.

If you haven't heard of Victoria Woodhull, just say so. Many people haven't. Just out of curiosity, may I ask your age?

hampshirebrit
10-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Baby-cakes, or should I say baby-killer, snarkiness can only make you look so smart.

Tell you what, since you're new here, let me give you some free advice. Don't address LindaNumbers as "baby-cakes", unless you have an un-natural desire to walk into a buzz-saw, or you really have a deep seated longing for public humiliation. :D

linda22003
10-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Aww, thank you, Hamp, but I'm not picking fights. I asked her age because her emotional posts (and lack of knowledge about what went into the Constitution) make her seem very young. Posting that you want to vote for someone who will "ban" abortion outright is not very useful, because that's not how our laws work.

912daveb
10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
It must be that simple b/c 64 million bought into the ideals of a radical,just say then collect your nobel prize....... sad

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I have indeed! First woman to run for president.

I'll be 21 in December.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Sigh. Linda....you honestly think that the reason I'm emotional when debating abortion is because I'm young? Are you joking me? Do you know how many middle-aged men and women are out in front of abortion clinics screaming at women? Are they just "too young"? And this is something I would never even do. People get emotional arguing about abortion because it's LEGALIZED MASS MURDER, and it's a little hard (for a lot of people in this country) to see how desnsitized and cold-hearted people who support abortion have become. Not saying you're cold-hearted...but just saying that's why people against abortion get emotional when arguing the subject. I would think that would be obvious. Please don't try and use the patronizing "she's too young to know anything" bit. It's kind of a cop-out.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Aww, thank you, Hamp, but I'm not picking fights. I asked her age because her emotional posts (and lack of knowledge about what went into the Constitution) make her seem very young. Posting that you want to vote for someone who will "ban" abortion outright is not very useful, because that's not how our laws work.

Posting that I want to ban abortion is not useful for what exactly? You? I was posting my opinion. Wasn't trying to be "useful". Also- as I said before....my arguing against abortion is NOT "because it's unconstitutional". It's because it is universally wrong. Any country whose laws uphold the legality of abortion must change their laws. This is what we fight against. The universal acceptance of abortion. Not "the unconstitutionality" (though some do fight against it for that reason). As I said, American lawmakers (or any lawmakers) are not infallible, so I'm not going to let the current law get in the way of fighting for justice. Sometimes it seems this goes in circles when people tell me "banning abortion would go against our law". It's like protesting "overturning roe v. wade will overturn roe v. wade." Yes, that's the whole point. Our point is to change the evil law we have in place. So please make note that I am arguing from a universal perspective. Not solely an American one. Murder is wrong no matter what country it's in.

And obviously it would be a lot more than just overturning roe v. wade. Everyone knows that. Hence why I mentioned what other steps he should take. It requires a great social change.

ExLiberal
10-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Tell you what, since you're new here, let me give you some free advice. Don't address LindaNumbers as "baby-cakes", unless you have an un-natural desire to walk into a buzz-saw, or you really have a deep seated longing for public humiliation. :D

Who's humiliated?

linda22003
10-11-2009, 05:40 AM
[first part of post cut]

And obviously it would be a lot more than just overturning roe v. wade. Everyone knows that. Hence why I mentioned what other steps he should take. It requires a great social change.

Overturning the law requires following the mechanisms of our law; that was the point I was trying to make. One person who's elected to office can't just wave a magic wand ans say "abortion is banned".

I agree with you on the social change. Many young people protest against abortion, and there's the social change - if those of reproductive age Just Say No, abortion won't be an issue any more. If you think it's wrong, be sure you teach your children to think so too.

linda22003
10-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Sigh. Linda....you honestly think that the reason I'm emotional when debating abortion is because I'm young? Are you joking me? Do you know how many middle-aged men and women are out in front of abortion clinics screaming at women? Are they just "too young"? And this is something I would never even do. People get emotional arguing about abortion because it's LEGALIZED MASS MURDER, and it's a little hard (for a lot of people in this country) to see how desnsitized and cold-hearted people who support abortion have become. Not saying you're cold-hearted...but just saying that's why people against abortion get emotional when arguing the subject. I would think that would be obvious. Please don't try and use the patronizing "she's too young to know anything" bit. It's kind of a cop-out.

I merely asked a question. I notice that you gave a very long response, and didn't answer it. :)

ExLiberal
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Overturning the law requires following the mechanisms of our law; that was the point I was trying to make. One person who's elected to office can't just wave a magic wand ans say "abortion is banned".

I agree with you on the social change. Many young people protest against abortion, and there's the social change - if those of reproductive age Just Say No, abortion won't be an issue any more. If you think it's wrong, be sure you teach your children to think so too.

I absolutely agree. I teach anyone I possibly can. I think we all know abortion won't end with a wave of a wand. It's too embedded, our culture is too desensitized, and women are so exploited by this crime that they continue to think it's actually empowering for them. Brainwashing takes a while to reverse. The "just say no" or "choose life" mentality is exactly where we need to be. But as I said before in another post, so many of the feminists within the pro-choice movement won't even have that. They don't WANT the attitude of society being one that looks down on abortion and prefers life. Why? Because they view it as a threat to their cause that will ultimately lead to the overturning of RvW. Even if we tried to end abortion in a social manner as opposed to a legal manner, the PC movement would be putting up a fight. The old "nobody's pro-abortion" would've stood valid maybe 50 years ago. But not now. Boiling frog syndrome, folks.

ExLiberal
10-11-2009, 06:12 AM
I merely asked a question. I notice that you gave a very long response, and didn't answer it. :)

I did answer! See above?

linda22003
10-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I saw #25 but not the previous one. You'll note how early it was. I see I was right.
You were also right about Woodhull - do you know about her "free love" doctrine? ;)

ExLiberal
10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Sorry, I saw #25 but not the previous one. You'll note how early it was. I see I was right.
You were also right about Woodhull - do you know about her "free love" doctrine? ;)

Yes I do. Free love is disgusting. Monogamy is forever.

linda22003
10-11-2009, 10:35 AM
It just seems like forever. :) Welcome to CU.

Shannon
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
It just seems like forever. :) Welcome to CU.

You are such a bitch.:D

ExLiberal
10-11-2009, 11:11 AM

I think she's sweet.

linda22003
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM

A high compliment, from their Queen. :D ;)

MrsSmith
10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Just to add a completely personal story to this, one of my daughter's friends...a young married woman with 3 kids, recently found out she was pregnant with her 4th despite the precautions they'd taken. As she had seen her employer find reason to fire every woman that became pregnant, she knew she'd lose her job...and her husband has been laid off and can't find work. So she aborted. A week later, they fired her anyway.

If abortion were illegal, she couldn't have gone through with this so quickly and easily. She would have still been pregnant when she was fired. She would not have been faced with the horrendous choice between caring for her other three and keeping the 4th. Now she is heartsick, horrified, angry at herself and her former employer...and she has the rest of her life to regret her "choice."

We all know that just about any church would have stepped forward to help her find a way to keep her baby, if anyone had known. Thanks to the ease of legalized murder, we didn't have that chance.

I don't know this woman, but I know her oldest child. He is a darling little guy, bright, cheerful, always happy...he occasionally comes to Sunday School with a neighbor. Undoubtedly, the child she aborted was just as adorable. My heart breaks for them all. This blood lays on the hands of every person who supports the abominable "choice" of murder for the unborn.

linda22003
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Interesting scenario, Mrs. Smith, but I think she wildly overreacted to the job threat situation. If she had really wanted the child, that would not have dissuaded her.

ExLiberal
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting scenario, Mrs. Smith, but I think she wildly overreacted to the job threat situation. If she had really wanted the child, that would not have dissuaded her.

She did overreact, and you can thank feminism, the media, and the abortion industry for their lies, deception, and desperate exploitaion of women that have coddled women into soothing their consciences by treating abortion as birth control, which causes them to freely and feasibly make such ridiculously rash, bloody decisions. It's not the lack of sex education or access to contraception (go to a high school and find that out). It's a pandemic of a bunch of selfish pity-party cowards being fed a spoonfull of sugar from the abortion industry to make the baby go down (the trash incinerator, casually).

Yes it's no coincidence nor "fault of men" or lack of liberal education that's the problem. The blame is squarely on the woman, the abortionist, and the industry that attacks her conscience with a hot iron to sear it completely.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
well. i certainly do not blame "feminism, the media, and the abortion industry" for indivdual choice. but seriously, Mrs. Smith, your personal story is interesting: "If abortion were illegal, she couldn't have gone through with this so quickly and easily". It is so true! it would have been dangerous, illegal, and deadly.
thank you, for your interest in women Mrs.Smith! thank you for actually caring what we go through as modern, contemporary, women!

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 01:07 AM
well. i certainly do not blame "feminism, the media, and the abortion industry" for indivdual choice. but seriously, Mrs. Smith, your personal story is interesting: "If abortion were illegal, she couldn't have gone through with this so quickly and easily". It is so true! it would have been dangerous, illegal, and deadly.
thank you, for your interest in women Mrs.Smith! thank you for actually caring what we go through as modern, contemporary, women!
Since when has any abortion not been deadly

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:11 AM
ok. i was just referring to women who are advised against having children for medical reasons. i see where the complication arose: i meant deadly to the woman giving birth

ExLiberal
10-17-2009, 01:14 AM

Haven't you heard? We've arbitrarily decided when a person gets the privilege of being deemed a person. So now we can all go to sleep happy at night not worrying about whether or not we're legally killing somebody.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Haven't you heard? We've arbitrarily decided when a person gets the privilege of being deemed a person. So now we can all go to sleep happy at night not worrying about whether or not we're legally killing somebody.

oh thankgod.

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 01:19 AM
ok. i was just referring to women who are advised against having children for medical reasons. i see where the complication arose: i meant deadly to the woman giving birth
Typical lib, where in Mrs. Smiths story did it say the baby was endangering the mother and needed to be aborted. Try again later without the whiskey!

ExLiberal
10-17-2009, 01:24 AM
oh thankgod.

And don't worry, poor damsels, it doesn't end there. "Abortion doula awareness" is now becoming more common...so now women get to be coddled and pampered like princesses while their helpless babies are being torn to pieces and thrown in a trashcan.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:35 AM
And don't worry, poor damsels, it doesn't end there. "Abortion doula awareness" is now becoming more common...so now women get to be coddled and pampered like princesses while their helpless babies are being torn to pieces and thrown in a trashcan.

well, I am actually a fan of that biznass. the more i can be pampered for not wanting babies the better! haha. no seriously, i take care of my shit. so. what are you complaining about?

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
well, I am actually a fan of that biznass. the more i can be pampered for not wanting babies the better! haha. no seriously, i take care of my shit. so. what are you complaining about?

I guess your saying babies are shit? It's hard to make sense from your scribbling.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:48 AM
sorry. let's take it down a notch shall we? this can be difficult for youth to sort out. so. ok.what i meant by "taking care of my shit" was simply that i take care of my issues, like birth control for example. what's wrong with that?

patriot45
10-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Well that # is in the like..... 10s . You really think thats a valid arguement? The incest, rape and medical reasons are a fraction, a small fraction of the abortions in this country! I can't recall the number of abortions that are done in America every year, but I would bet its in the millions! You think they are all just little problems? What a lib!

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 01:56 AM
sorry. let's take it down a notch shall we? this can be difficult for youth to sort out. so. ok.what i meant by "taking care of my shit" was simply that i take care of my issues, like birth control for example. what's wrong with that?

It makes more sense when you take the time to make it clear. If everyone used birth control when needed, abortion would not be an issue.

ExLiberal
10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Well that # is in the like..... 10s . You really think thats a valid arguement? The incest, rape and medical reasons are a fraction, a small fraction of the abortions in this country! I can't recall the number of abortions that are done in America every year, but I would bet its in the millions! You think they are all just little problems? What a lib!

Rape, incest, life of mom, is their mantra. Cowardice, selfishness, shallowness, iniquity, and delusion are their actual reasons.

Rapier09
10-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Rape, incest, life of mom, is their mantra. Cowardice, selfishness, shallowness, iniquity, and delusion are their actual reasons.

Not to mention hatred of children and hatred of people in general.

They seem to think their doing the world a favor by culling the herd.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 02:12 AM

oh yeah! im so sorry! the other reasons for having a legit abortion are...fabricated? ah, you can say "what a lib!" all night long but it really doesnt resonate.

ExLiberal
10-17-2009, 02:34 AM

You're absolutely right. As I mentioned in another post, many people (as evidenced by the DU forum) are slowly but surely creeping towards the pro-abortion stance, rather than the typical pro-choice stance. A lot of this is attributed (as much of abortion exaltation is) to the lingering anger for the patriarchy of the past, and the fact that motherhood was forced upon women. The 'I Kill Babies Hear Me Roar' crowd led by people like Gloria Steinem who unabashedly brag about and romanticize their murders as pivotal in their journey of womanhood, empowerment, independence, and self-esteem continue to perpetuate this anger toward men, babies, and society in general. But a lot of it is also bred by these environmental wackos and their relentless global warming/overpopulation scare tactics. It's a utilitarian tactic to evade the moral debate on the sanctity of human life by making it seem like they truly do care about mankind and its survival. Just another dollop of sugar on the bloody baby's head.

ExLiberal
10-17-2009, 02:38 AM

www.vhemt.org

kristaeyman
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree 100%. Well put. One immoral issue such as abortion is enough for anyone to turn away.

noonwitch
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Abortions will always be performed in this country, regardless of what the law allows and whether Roe v Wade remains the law of the land or not. If it's illegal, more women will die as a result.

What I do know is that it is not fair to state that anyone who votes pro choice hates children. Not everyone believes that life begins at conception, or even at implantation. That doesn't mean that those same people hate children. Even a woman who undergoes an abortion doesn't necessarily hate children.

If the anti-abortion side continues to define the problem as legalized abortion, they will not get any of the changes that they want. Using hyperbolic speech and calling slightly over half of americans "baby killers" is not going to change anything. It's not going to lower the numbers of women seeking abortions and it's not going to change the minds of enough voters to change the laws. Criminalizing women who feel desperate is not going to win over the amount of public sympathy that would be needed to make abortion illegal.

FlaGator
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM

That is true as long as the Supreme Court doesn't opt to reverse Roe s Wade and declare that abortion is not a privacy issue. At that point the ball is back in the state's court and a state ban is not out of the question.