PDA

View Full Version : Mahmoud Ahmadinejad revealed to have Jewish past

bijou
10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
A photograph of the Iranian president holding up his identity card during elections in March 2008 clearly shows his family has Jewish roots.
A close-up of the document reveals he was previously known as Sabourjian a Jewish name meaning cloth weaver.

The short note scrawled on the card suggests his family changed its name to Ahmadinejad when they converted to embrace Islam after his birth.
The Sabourjians traditionally hail from Aradan, Mr Ahmadinejad's birthplace, and the name derives from "weaver of the Sabour", the name for the Jewish Tallit shawl in Persia. The name is even on the list of reserved names for Iranian Jews compiled by Iran's Ministry of the Interior.
Experts last night suggested Mr Ahmadinejad's track record for hate-filled attacks on Jews could be an overcompensation to hide his past.
Ali Nourizadeh, of the Centre for Arab and Iranian Studies, said: "This aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's background explains a lot about him. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/6256173/Mahmoud-Ahmadinejad-revealed-to-have-Jewish-past.html

That's a turn up for the books. :D

NJCardFan
10-03-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/6256173/Mahmoud-Ahmadinejad-revealed-to-have-Jewish-past.html

That's a turn up for the books. :D

Hitler did as well.

hampshirebrit
10-03-2009, 03:23 PM
There are a lot of Jews in Iran. Iran has the largest ME Jewish population outside of Israel. It is not too much of a reach that A-jad could be related.

I am not an Iran apologist, but it is worth noting that Jews have parity in legal status in Iran with the rest of the population. Jews have served in the Iranian armed forces, have an elected representative in the assembly proportionate to their numbers, and have synagogues (quite a few of them) in Tehran.

The beef Iran has is with Israel, not with Jews.

PoliCon
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
He's one of them there self hating jews . . . .

Rockntractor
10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
There are a lot of Jews in Iran. Iran has the largest ME Jewish population outside of Israel. It is not too much of a reach that A-jad could be related.

I am not an Iran apologist, but it is worth noting that Jews have parity in legal status in Iran with the rest of the population. Jews have served in the Iranian armed forces, have an elected representative in the assembly proportionate to their numbers, and have synagogues (quite a few of them) in Tehran.

The beef Iran has is with Israel, not with Jews.
Oh I get it! When they quote the Koran talking about killing a Jew hiding behind a rock The Koran was prophetically referring to Israeli citizen!

hampshirebrit
10-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh I get it! When they quote the Koran talking about killing a Jew hiding behind a rock The Koran was prophetically referring to Israeli citizen!

You get it, really? I hope so.

For an opener, perhaps we should all stop confusing race with religion, and, even better, perhaps we should stop confusing both of these things with nationality.

Again, I urge you, let's not confuse, as you are again confusing, any animus directed toward the State of Israel with animus directed toward Jews.

The one is not the same as the other, as much as you might like it to be so in order to make your point.

The accusation of an anti-Semitic slur is the one that is most commonly directed against those of us who have issues with Israel.

Rockntractor
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
you didn't answer me was the Koran referring to Jews or the nation of Israel. This is one of Mahmoud's favorite passages.

SarasotaRepub
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Again, I urge you, let's not confuse, as you are again confusing, any animus directed toward the State of Israel with animus directed toward Jews.

Well Hamp, Imabadfittindinnerjacket seems pretty clear that when he talks about the impending destruction of Israel, he does mean the Jews. He denies the Holocaust and that was pretty much aimed at the Jews.

This guy is a nutjob. A clever one, but stilla nutjob that has his eyes on getting the bomb if they don't already have it. And in a way I can understand the national appeal. To have nuclear weapons is after all, a pretty damn big technological achievement for the host country and a source of national pride.

The problem as I see it...can the rest of the world trust the current Iranian government with nuclear weapons? I don't think so.

PoliCon
10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Islam believes that once land is in Muslim hands is must NEVER EVER NEVER be in anything but muslim hands until the end of the world. Israel galls them so badly because right in the heart of the islamic world they have lost land. Never fear however - they will be after Spain and the Balkins as well should Israel ever cease to exist.

Sonnabend
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
You get it, really? I hope so.

For an opener, perhaps we should all stop confusing race with religion, and, even better, perhaps we should stop confusing both of these things with nationality.

What is the insignia of Israel? The Star of David. What is Israel? A Jewish state. Who lives there? Jews.

Wiping out Israel = wiping out Jews. What part of this dont you get?

Destruction of Israel= a second Holocaust.

Nu?

The one is not the same as the other, as much as you might like it to be so in order to make your point.

Says the Iranian apologist.

The accusation of an anti-Semitic slur is the one that is most commonly directed against those of us who have issues with Israel.

Iran's stated aims for Israel have been clear and concise, and only useful idiots like you are busy making excuses for him.

hampshirebrit
10-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Well Hamp, Imabadfittindinnerjacket seems pretty clear that when he talks about the impending destruction of Israel, he does mean the Jews. He denies the Holocaust and that was pretty much aimed at the Jews.

This guy is a nutjob. A clever one, but stilla nutjob that has his eyes on getting the bomb if they don't already have it. And in a way I can understand the national appeal. To have nuclear weapons is after all, a pretty damn big technological achievement for the host country and a source of national pride.

The problem as I see it...can the rest of the world trust the current Iranian government with nuclear weapons? I don't think so.

You are right.

He is a nutjob, there is no doubt. And he wants nuclear toys, because he is a child. And we should do everything we can to prevent him getting them.

But we should do this because he wants point these nuclear toys at a sovereign nation, Israel. Not against Jews, but against Israel. As much as I am not fond of Israel, I do not wish this that threat should go unchallenged.

We are falling into the trap of mixing anti Israel ideology with that of anti-Semitism. There is, inevitably, some crossover in the street-arab/persian mentality, but even so, I have met enough Arabs and Persians to know that there is no more than casual, rather than organized, hostility between these religions. The issue is one of territory, not race, or religion.

Sonnabend would have it different ... he dismisses Palestinians as homeless, unwanted trash, vermin, something I have, in my travels in the region and in encounters with Israeli co-workers in the US and EU, never, ever heard from anyone, and I will go further and say that this is a sentiment that I think that most Israelis, given the memory of the Shoah, would find very offensive indeed.

Since all of the western ME tribes, Jew and Arab, are from the same racial, semitic stock, it is reasonable to say that Sonnabend, in denigrating the Arabs in Eretz Israel, is himself an anti-Semite.

I fear that neither President Amadijhad, President Obama, Prime Minister Bibi or Sonnabend will solve the problem.

noonwitch
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
You are right.

He is a nutjob, there is no doubt. And he wants nuclear toys, because he is a child. And we should do everything we can to prevent him getting them.

But we should do this because he wants point these nuclear toys at a sovereign nation, Israel. Not against Jews, but against Israel. As much as I am not fond of Israel, I do not wish this that threat should go unchallenged.

We are falling into the trap of mixing anti Israel ideology with that of anti-Semitism. There is, inevitably, some crossover in the street-arab/persian mentality, but even so, I have met enough Arabs and Persians to know that there is no more than casual, rather than organized, hostility between these religions. The issue is one of territory, not race, or religion.

Sonnabend would have it different ... he dismisses Palestinians as homeless, unwanted trash, vermin, something I have, in my travels in the region and in encounters with Israeli co-workers in the US and EU, never, ever heard from anyone, and I will go further and say that this is a sentiment that I think that most Israelis, given the memory of the Shoah, would find very offensive indeed.

Since all of the western ME tribes, Jew and Arab, are from the same racial, semitic stock, it is reasonable to say that Sonnabend, in denigrating the Arabs in Eretz Israel, is himself an anti-Semite.

I fear that neither President Amadijhad, President Obama, Prime Minister Bibi or Sonnabend will solve the problem.

I've always thought that the Israelis and the Palestineans share ancestors and histories, and that the Palestieans plight today reminds me of that of the Samaratins in Jesus' day.

PoliCon
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I've always thought that the Israelis and the Palestineans share ancestors and histories, and that the Palestieans plight today reminds me of that of the Samaratins in Jesus' day.

um . . . how do you figure?