PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Justice

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Cool on the Mountain with clouds moving in later on Sunday.

The bulldogs lost to LSU. :(

The Playoffs in baseball start this week. I can't wait. I'm a National League fan. I don't like the designated hitter rule.

I got a jury duty summons this week. I've been called for jury duty four times. Once I was called but wasn't selected for a DUI case. Another time I didn't have to report. A third time I was selected for a civil case and served and was foreman of the jury.

Now this time is for a criminal case.

TOTD: Jury Duty. Have you ever served on a jury? If so, what did you think of of it? What type of case was it?

Anything interesting?

I feel it's my civic duty, but it also never seems to come at a good time.

Sonnabend
10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
TOTD: Jury Duty. Have you ever served on a jury

Never been called. Kinda disappointed, actually.

lacarnut
10-04-2009, 01:52 AM
LSU pulled another one out of their ass with the win over GA. I am not looking forward to the ass whipping that I think Florida is gonna put on them next week especially if Tebow plays.

TOTD: I was on a rape and armed robbery case several years ago. It was cut and dry. The victims ID the perp that lived in the neighborhood. The police arrested him a short period afterwards with the money and the gun. There was no question about his guilt and we spent a short period of time in returning a guilty verdict. I got into it with a retired school teacher, mus-ta been a liberal, that was so concerned about the criminal having to spend the rest of his life in prison. Told her that our job as jurors was to determine guilt or innocence, and that it was the Judge's job to sentence him.

Also on a case involving someone being charged with receiving stolen goods. There was no proof and in a few min. we returned a no guilty verdict.

Rockntractor
10-04-2009, 01:56 AM
I was summed and had to show up for the jury pool several days but never got picked for a trial.

lacarnut
10-04-2009, 02:02 AM
I was summed and had to show up for the jury pool several days but never got picked for a trial.

With my damn luck, I have been picked 2 out of 3 times.

linda22003
10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Same as Rock.... I've been on call but never had to even go in.

Rockntractor
10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Drizzle rain drizzle rain. I don't need this crap I have work to do!

BSR
10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I used to ignore them, but now if I'm called I'll make an effort to go.

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 05:02 PM
I've never served on a criminal trial jury.

When I was on the jury in the civil trial I saw something interesting. As the potential jurors were questioned as a part of the selection process, they were asked if they could render a decision fairly and justly and based on the law.

All potential jurors said yes, of course.

Well, one guy said yes, but I feel I should tell you that I believe in the concept of jury nullification. When asked by the judge what he meant by that, the man stated that he believed that if the applicable law in question in the trial was not a fair law, then it would be the responsibility of the jury to not only render a decision based on the applicable law, but also make he would have to make a decision as to whether the law itself was a fair and just law.

He was dismissed as a potential juror.

RobJohnson
10-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Same as Rock.... I've been on call but never had to even go in.

That makes three of us.