PDA

View Full Version : Wipe a Hard Drive Clean

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I have an older Dell desktop that I want to return to service. It died an ignoble death due to a virus that pretty much shot it in the head. I had a tech person look at it and nothing was recoverable of what was on it.

It still works but I want to know hot to wipe it clean and kill everything on it.

Is there software that does that?

I want to load Windows XP on it but I want the sucker killed and stomped before I start using it again.

Rockntractor
10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I have an older Dell desktop that I want to return to service. It died an ignoble death due to a virus that pretty much shot it in the head. I had a tech person look at it and nothing was recoverable of what was on it.

It still works but I want to know hot to wipe it clean and kill everything on it.

I want to load Windows XP on it but I want the sucker killed and stomped before I start using it again.
I use partition magic for a secure wipe but there are many others.

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I use partition magic for a secure wipe but there are many others.

Is partition magic software that I can download to another computer, transfer to a disc or flash drive, and then load onto the infected computer?

Do I load XP and then run it?

And thanks. :)

megimoo
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

You can really never erase a drive,All that you can do is to overwrite it .

I guess a routine could be written that would allow you to write a field of 'ones' over a background of 'zero's and 're_write' the drive but that would take some time depending on the size .

You may want to consider replacing it with a newer,larger,faster drive and reload XP fresh .Once the registry becomes corrupted and full of dead links and idle loops to viruses there is no guarantee that it will ever be completely virus free no matter what you re_load !

That's why people who use a laptop for an illegal purpose even after they load the best protection and scrubbing software available always get caught by the freebies .The disks still have some data somewhere they never touched.

The only way to be truly free of bugs is with a new drive.
That's why that 'dirty' picture that you thought you had deleted always pops up again at the most inopportune time !

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Rock and Megs.

With what you've given me I think I can work my way through it. :)

Constitutionally Speaking
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
You should just be able to re-load windows on it and EVERYTHING will be over-written. Should take care of all the issues you have.

Jfor
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Bubba... I got some software from work that I can send to you. Just copy it to a CD and it will let you wipe the hard drive. PM an email address and I will send it to you tomorrow. I use it at work whenever we are decommissioning desktops, laptops and servers.

AHeneen
10-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Hard drives are not very expensive...especially for peace of mind or hassle.

The size of the hard drive you get may be limited by the components of the computer. If its more than 5-6 years old (<2004) or so it could be limited to 131 GB. Also, Windows XP must be upgraded to SP1 (or preferably SP2) in order to recognize anything above 128GB. If so, this is a good option from Amazon:

Western Digital, 80GB, $43.85+shipping (http://www.amazon.com/80GB-Caviar-Sata-3-5IN-300MB/dp/B000Q85IUS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1254810711&sr=1-9)

If it's newer (or perhaps you know it can handle a bigger one, because the existing one is <130GB), feel free to get a larger one...there are plenty of good values out there.

Western Digital, 320GB, $59.00+free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD3200JBRTL-Caviar-Drive/dp/B0007VNGLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1254810711&sr=1-1)

megimoo
10-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Hard drives are not very expensive...especially for peace of mind or hassle.

The size of the hard drive you get may be limited by the components of the computer. If its more than 5-6 years old (<2004) or so it could be limited to 131 GB. Also, Windows XP must be upgraded to SP1 (or preferably SP2) in order to recognize anything above 128GB. If so, this is a good option from Amazon:

Western Digital, 80GB, $43.85+shipping (http://www.amazon.com/80GB-Caviar-Sata-3-5IN-300MB/dp/B000Q85IUS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1254810711&sr=1-9)

If it's newer (or perhaps you know it can handle a bigger one, because the existing one is <130GB), feel free to get a larger one...there are plenty of good values out there.

Western Digital, 320GB, $59.00+free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD3200JBRTL-Caviar-Drive/dp/B0007VNGLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1254810711&sr=1-1)For an extra sixteen bucks you get four time more drive space.The only thing is to be very careful what you order.There are two basic types of drive just make sure you order the same type that is in the Dell now.

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Well did you reformat yet?

BadCat
10-12-2009, 08:32 PM

I take mine out of the computer, take them out in the desert, and shoot them a few times with my Benelli M4 loaded with 00 buck.

Good luck getting anything off of them after that.

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Not yet. Been busy.

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I take mine out of the computer, take them out in the desert, and shoot them a few times with my Benelli M4 loaded with 00 buck.

That would be highly effective. :D

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM

I can do that in the back yard and have!