PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday, and I can't think of anything.

Rebel Yell
10-05-2009, 08:49 AM
We finally got some rain last night. We needed it to soak in the fertilizer on our feed plots.

TOTD: How many deer hunters do we have here? What do you shoot and how do you prepare for the season.

I shoot a Winchester .243 with Federal 100 grain premium boattails. I occassionally hunt over corn, but this year I'm in the open. We planted some rye and oats about 30 yards from the tripods.

linda22003
10-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't hunt but a neighbor does, and my preparation for the season is to make room in the downstairs freezer for what he's likely to give me. :D

Gingersnap
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
We'll get to the high 50s today, maybe. It's starting to look seriously like fall.

TOTD: I haven't had a deer or elk tag for a while but enough do in my family that I'm still stocked every season. Birds are a lot easier to process. ;)

Rockntractor
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't hunt but a neighbor does, and my preparation for the season is to make room in the downstairs freezer for what he's likely to give me. :D

You eat venison? And by the way what did you eat at the fancy restaurant the other night? You posted a link for it.

linda22003
10-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes, I eat venison. The other night I had lamb shank and lamb loin in sort of a "combo plate", with a beet salad on panna cotta to start. Dessert was cute - in honor of Halloween (early), I had a plate with two "eyeballs" of white chocolate, with raspberry "veins" drawn on the eyeballs, and a drizzle of raspberry sauce coming out of them for "blood". When you cut into the eyeballs, more raspberry sauce came out, from a bed of white chocolate mousse. It was clever, and should have been, for fifteen bucks. :p

Rockntractor
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, I eat venison. The other night I had lamb shank and lamb loin in sort of a "combo plate", with a beet salad on panna cotta to start. Dessert was cute - in honor of Halloween (early), I had a plate with two "eyeballs" of white chocolate, with raspberry "veins" drawn on the eyeballs, and a drizzle of raspberry sauce coming out of them for "blood". When you cut into the eyeballs, more raspberry sauce came out, from a bed of white chocolate mousse. It was clever, and should have been, for fifteen bucks. :p

That desert is pretty funny. I looked at their menu, the veil looked good too.

linda22003
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't remember anything with a veil on it.

lacarnut
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
A cool front came thru yesterday with a bunch of rain. 72 degrees and only supposed to get in the low 80's today. With winter approaching, I am ready to move to southern FL or to the Carribean. I hate cold weather.

TOTD: never been deer hunting; used to hunt tree rats. I have acreage in north Louisiana that is prime deer country though.

ralph wiggum
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
TOTD: I've never fired a gun in my life. Maybe a bee-bee gun. Dad was a drunk when I was a kid, so I never had the opportunity. He's been sober for 25 years now, which is amazing. He used to hunt with my grandpa, so I probably would have done it at some point had that pesky alcohol thing not gotten in the way. We've since bonded by golfing excessively, so all is good. :D

aerojarod
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Beautiful Sunday for the last day of the Eastern States Exp in Springfield, Mass. Similar today. Perfectly cool and sunny out. Finally gonna get a chance to watch an NFL game tonight at my buddy's house. Been too busy with work, MBA classes, and getting settled in my new townhouse to catch the first few weeks of games.

TOTD: I'm more apt to kill a deer with my car here in CT, more so than sitting in the woods with a rifle.
Related: Now that I have my new permanetn address, I'm gonna submit my paperwork for my Handgun Permit.

Shannon
10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I would never kill Bambi. People on the other hand...