PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet Magazine will shut down

linda22003
10-05-2009, 03:29 PM
After almost seventy years of fine living and good cooking. :(

One of America's oldest food magazines is closing.

Condé Nast Publications announced it is shutting down the highly respected culinary magazine Gourmet. The publisher is also closing Elegant Bride, Modern Bride and the parenting magazine Cookie.

Gourmet, which debuted in 1941, has been hammered by the US media industry's advertising slump. According to the Publishers Information Bureau, Gourmet's ad pages were down 50% in the second quarter this year compared to 2008.

Jay Rayner, the Observer's restaurant critic and a former Gourmet writer, said working at the magazine "was like flying the Atlantic first class. It ruined you for other food magazines".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/deadlineusa/2009/oct/05/gourmet-magazine-closing

Gingersnap
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't know if this actually seems world-ending. :p

linda22003
10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I selected it carefully. Please don't throw it into the Whiny Zone.

patriot45
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Never liked it, too poo-pooh! I have all the Cuisine at Home mags since they came out, They are the best to teach you how to cook new and exciting foods and no bothersome adds!. I tried Cooks magazine, but it was all black and white, I like color pics! I just got an offer in the mail the other day for The Food Network Magazine, no thanks there too!

Sorry about your loss! Try Cuisine at home!:D

This episode alone had like 5 recipes that were great!!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/10-1.jpg

PoliCon
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
With the advent of the internet - who buys these kinds of specialty magazines any more?

linda22003
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I always liked it, since "poo-pooh" never bothered me. You take what you need and leave the rest, as the song says, and Gourmet always maintained high standards.

Patriot, I wish I knew how to post pictures the way you do - I made a brisket yesterday that was SO fabulous my husband actually took before and after pictures!

linda22003
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
With the advent of the internet - who buys these kinds of specialty magazines any more?

Hence the loss of ad revenue. Oh, well, I have a whole bookshelf of the annual volumes.

Gingersnap
10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I selected it carefully. Please don't throw it into the Whiny Zone.

When you make requests of the Mods, we generally expect a blood sacrifice of one kind or another. Luckily for you, I'm also willing to accept PayPal donations until 6:00 p.m. EST today. :)

linda22003
10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
When you make requests of the Mods, we generally expect a blood sacrifice of one kind or another. Luckily for you, I'm also willing to accept PayPal donations until 6:00 p.m. EST today. :)

I'd rather give the blood. Can you use O+?

Gingersnap
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd rather give the blood. Can you use O+?

Sure, if it's from a black cockerel. :D

megimoo
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Never liked it, too poo-pooh! I have all the Cuisine at Home mags since they came out, They are the best to teach you how to cook new and exciting foods and no bothersome adds!. I tried Cooks magazine, but it was all black and white, I like color pics! I just got an offer in the mail the other day for The Food Network Magazine, no thanks there too!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/10-1.jpgI like Cooks magazine but if you need color try Cooks Country,Same outfit but it's in color.

This month has twenty entry's with color pictures of the dishes,Deserts and Main Courses. Everything from Sweet Potato Pie to Baked Apple Dumplings with Boiled Cider Sauce .

NJCardFan
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/10-1.jpg
Beef Wellington. Sweet.

megimoo
10-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Beef Wellington. Sweet.
Prime Cut pound and a Half Fillet Mignon Beef Wellington !