PDA

View Full Version : Ammo rationing at Wal-Mart as panic buying sweeps US

megimoo
10-05-2009, 08:27 PM
"This Must Make Those Congress Critters Nervous, All That Lead Out There !"

Used to be gold was precious. Now it's lead.'

The USA is suffering the most severe ammunition famine in living memory. Gun fanciers, fearing a Democrat crackdown on every American's right to pack heat, are clearing shelves at ammo shops and hoarding cartridges.

AP reports that the Remington Arms Company's factory in North Carolina is now working around the clock trying to supply insatiable demand for rifle, pistol and shotgun cartridges.

"We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7," Remington spokesman Al Russo told the news wire. "It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."

The shortages are so bad that retail globocorp Wal-Mart has been forced to introduce rationing at the ammo counter in many of its stores. Depending on calibre, customers may be limited to purchases of just 50 rounds at a time. Apparently, classic .45 ACP pistol ammunition is especially scarce - a fairly good indication that it is in fact conservative Middle America rather than, say, inner-city criminals buying up all the ammo*.

According to the National Rifle Association, America's pro-guns lobby, the people of the USA normally buy about 7 billion cartridges a year (an average of 23 rounds per head). The past year has seen that figure jump to 9 billion. The FBI reports a 25 per cent climb in background checks made prior to gun sales.

The ammo rush has been dubbed the "Obama effect" by gun-industry people, but in fact there is no sign at present of any particularly aggressive move towards stricter federal gun laws.

Police forces across the States reportedly suffered from some ammo shortages earlier in the year, but this was in large part unrelated to the surge in civilian demand.

Rather, heavy use by the US military overseas made it hard to obtain ammunition such as 5.56mm assault-rifle/intermediate-power cartridges, commonly used by plods and troops but much less so by civilian gun owners.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/24/ammo_hoarding_sweeps_us/

Bubba Dawg
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Is there also a shortage of reloading components?

Rockntractor
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Is there also a shortage of reloading components?

Mostly primers but I stocked up on everything a year ago.

Bubba Dawg
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Mostly primers but I stocked up on everything a year ago.

I used to handload with a Lee loader. 44 mag, 357/38 and 22 Hornet.

It always made me nervous beating on a live round with a hammer.

Rockntractor
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM

I did that when I was a kid. I use presses now. One day I was taking a defective primer out of a 454 casull case and had the round explode in my hand. That got me several stitches and a thumb that throbbed for days.

megimoo
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Use a thick rubber pad under and a leather headed mallet !One doesn't beat on a live round one taps carefully !

Bubba Dawg
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Use a thick rubber pad under and a leather headed mallet !One doesn't beat on a live round one taps carefully !

LOL. Thanks Megs. I'm going to get a press.

I used a rubber mallet and did tap instead of beating. I was exercising a little hyperbole. :D

Speedy
10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
For almost every piece I own I have ammo for in the thousands. .22 (2 rifles 1 pistol), 9mm (two handguns), .223(M4 and Mini 14), .308 (M 14), .45 ACP (M1911). I have a thousand or less in .41 Mag, 30-06, 30-30, 12 guage, .357, .44 Special, 7 mm Mauser, 7mm Mag

megimoo
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
LOL. Thanks Megs. I'm going to get a press.

I used a rubber mallet and did tap instead of beating. I was exercising a little hyperbole. :DI had a press for reloading 30.06 rounds years ago .
The thing had sleeved die pin to force out the old primers and a plate the case went through head first and a recessed rim to seat the cartridge level with the base plate to press the new primers into the brass.
After reloading a bunch of rounds some of the powder grains from the adjacent dispenser would eventually slide into the depression and when the next case went in it would sometimes flash .
I reset the location of the dispenser away from the primer loaded after a few of those.My brother worked for a company that made rifle scopes and marketed a line of Japanese high end sporting scopes in the USA.
My brother agreed to test the newest line of scopes as they arrived because of problems the company had with the previous batch internal cross hair reticule falling apart due to the shock of firing the rifles.We purchased a 30.06 with latching lugs and drilled it out for an universal scope mount .We would go to the club on Saturday and spend the whole day testing scopes and blasting targets .Sundays we would reload a bunch of brass.
After awhile the primers and bullets became too expensive so we switched to black powder Civil war cap and ball for target practice .The original piece my brother had was an .58 calibre Tower Hill used in the war .We had a full set of bullet molds to cast the balls.The bore had elongated from .58 to .68 calibre during the war and the mold set went only to one larger diameter .We finally acquired a .69 Mini ball mold and used that for lead .The shock of firing that thing would give a scope a real jolt .
We belonged to a gun club that allowed us to use black powder in the back pits far away from the Shotgun skeet range.Every time we flashed off a few rounds the smoke pall would hang over the pit and drift away eventually so we could see the target again .It was particular bad on overcast rainy days.
My Best friend would join us most Saturdays and bring his Civil War Springfield Armory .58 cap and ball for practice.

My friend had a trove of about five pounds of black powder stored under his bedroom bureau and his Mother found it and raised all kinds of hell .He had about four pounds of black powder with him one foggy Saturday and after shooting all day we had a bunch of powder left that he couldn't take home.
He poured it into a large pile at the end of the pit and laid a trail of powder away as a fuse.At the end of the day just as we were leaving he lit the powder trail and we hauled our butts out of there right quick.
As we drove away a great pall of white smoke covered the range and obscured the skeet houses and adjacent pistol pits.After that little episode we needed a new gun club to test scopes.

Full-Auto
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
If you shop around you can find reloading components. It's not cheap though, like the price of ammo it's through the roof. I've had luck hitting the smaller gun shops around my area looking for powder and primers. Lead bullets are still easy to get, at least for me.

If you find a large online retailer that has primers or powder in stock (not likely) it will cost you a pretty penny to have it shipped due to HAZMAT charges. Either get a group together and buy up all they have on hand or do what I do, and shop for it locally.