PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Mini-14

Bubba Dawg
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
The only rifle I have ever fired with a scope was a .22 rimfire and that was just a few rounds.

Anyway, as I get older my eyes get worse. At handgun and shotgun ranges, I do OK.

The only centerfire rifle I have right now is a Ruger Mini-14 in.223.

I would like to get a scope and mount for it.

(1) Do they make a mount that allows you to see the sights for closer range but also see through the scope for longer shots? Is such a mount practical?

(2) What brand and kind of scope would be best considering the capabilities of the .223 round?

I have seen 3 to 9 variable scopes and 4 power scopes and all kinds of brands of scopes. I would not be using the rifle for hunting.

megimoo
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
The only rifle I have ever fired with a scope was a .22 rimfire and that was just a few rounds.

Anyway, as I get older my eyes get worse. At handgun and shotgun ranges, I do OK.

The only centerfire rifle I have right now is a Ruger Mini-14 in.223.

I would like to get a scope and mount for it.

(1) Do they make a mount that allows you to see the sights for closer range but also see through the scope for longer shots? Is such a mount practical?

(2) What brand and kind of scope would be best considering the capabilities of the .223 round?

I have seen 3 to 9 variable scopes and 4 power scopes and all kinds of brands of scopes. I would not be using the rifle for hunting.PM the Gator and ask him.He's the resident expert on .223 rifles and scopes !

Ranger Rick
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I would pm Full-Auto or goto this site http://www.thehighroad.us/index.php and look, then ask there.

expat-pattaya
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Bubba,

It can be done, but accuracy of the Mini 14 is nothing special. If you really want something that can punch holes at 100 yards with reasonable accuracy you are better off selling the Mini 14 and buying an AR15 with a flat top upper receiver. Then mount a scope on that. Much more satisfying results.

RobJohnson
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I miss my Mini-14, it was always so fun to shoot.

Bubba Dawg
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll check that link.

The Mini -14 is a lot of fun to shoot and it's probably about as accurate as I need. I really like the AR-15 but I'm more into handguns so I think the next purchase for me will be an accurate long-barreled .22 rimfire for plinking.

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll check that link.

The Mini -14 is a lot of fun to shoot and it's probably about as accurate as I need. I really like the AR-15 but I'm more into handguns so I think the next purchase for me will be an accurate long-barreled .22 rimfire for plinking.
I use my 357 smith for plinking

Bubba Dawg
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I use my 357 smith for plinking

Model 19 with a 4" barrel?

Me too but I don't handload right now so .22's are cheaper.

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Model 19 with a 4" barrel?

Me too but I don't handload right now so .22's are cheaper.

I don't remember the model. It's a seven shot stainless steel. I mold all my own bullets and have several molds.