PDA

View Full Version : It’s Tuesday!

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 01:00 AM
High: 75 °F RealFeel®: 74 °F
A morning thunderstorm; otherwise, rather cloudy. I hope I don’t have a repeat of yesterday, wet all day. It finally quit raining when I stopped and went in for the evening.

TOTD. I listen to a lot of talk radio. Sometime they get these long-winded people on and the host has to try to speed them up before a commercial break. They just keep on babbling and most of them will say, “ well to make a long story short” If they want to make the story short why do they add that sentence? We already know they have to hurry up so why add a redundant statement like that. There are lots of stupid sayings that drive me nuts! What are some off your least favourites? You no what I mean?

linda22003
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
TOTD. You no what I mean?

That would be one of them, instead of "You know what I mean?" :p

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 09:57 AM
It's frosty out here but we'll have more or less seasonal weather for a couple of days before a front moves in with a rain/snow mix. With any luck, we'll be grilling brats tonight (it rained last night).

TOTD: As a technical writer (among other things), I'm a very big fan of plain speech outside of novels. Both of the examples above are "fillers" - conversational speed bumps that buy extroverts a little time to process their scattered thoughts.

What I really dislike right now is politically correct speech: "gender" when the speaker means sex, "confrontation" when the speaker means fight or argument, "youths" for older kids or teens, "growing" something other than vegetables (grow a business, grow a church, grow a plan), or anything in a similar vein.

There are hundreds of examples of this kind of faint-hearted labeling that have crept into ordinary writing and speech. That annoys me even more than the vacuous strings of "uhs" our president injects into every unscripted utterance.

aerojarod
10-06-2009, 10:06 AM
The adjunct professor I just had for Finance Strategy & Valuation constantly used "okay?" like an "umm" between phrases.

bBah blah blah blah, okay? And therefore blah blah blah, okay? So, blah blah blah blah blah, okay?

linda22003
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/mackey.png

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/mackey.png

:D

lacarnut
10-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Looks like a cloudy, dreary day in Bayou land. Temp. around 80 and another laid back day for me. Dried up enough yesterday for me to cut the grass.

TOTD: Obummer and Ben Bernanke drive me crazy with their ughs and ums.

noonwitch
10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
It's cloudy and sprinkling rain here. The temp is about 55.

I hate it when I am trying to communicate with a person, and she throws things at me and calls me names. That's probably just a social worker/teen client thing, though.

RobJohnson
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
That would be one of them, instead of "You know what I mean?" :p

No big deal, especially if he was reading the script on the radio! :D

It's really nice outside. I was able to get a few things done at my house & also at my mother's. Going to work in a couple hours, good times.

Bubba Dawg
10-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I like hate it when people like just throw in a like random meaningless word and like repeat it until I like feel like punching them in the head like.

Shannon
10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
It is Tuesday, isn't it?

BSR
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
When people ask stupid, obvious questions..

For example, I was in back of a kid at a Wendy's who saw his friend behind the cash register. When he got up to him he says.. "So, you working today?"....

I wanted to choke him with his fucking belt holding up his saggy pants .. :mad:

Shannon
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM

For example, I was in back of a kid at a Wendy's who saw his friend behind the cash register. When he got up to him he says.. "So, you working today?"....

This is why I love you.

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm guessing she doesn't wear saggy pants. Or belts other than "fashion belts" which don't actually hold anything up.