PDA

View Full Version : Tumbleweed Tiny House Company (Greenies' Fantasy)

megimoo
10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Welcome. Come on in. My name is Jay Shafer and since 1997 I have been living in houses smaller than some people’s closets.

I call the first of my little hand built houses Tumbleweed. My decision to inhabit just 89 square feet arose from some concerns I had about the impact a larger house would have on the environment, and because I do not want to maintain a lot of unused or unusable space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRvsWuWNUM&

My houses have met all of my domestic needs without demanding much in return. The simple, slower lifestyle my homes have afforded is a luxury for...

feature=player_embedded

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Here is their blog and site: Tiny House (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/blog/)

It's an interesting concept for people who have no sex life, pets, or material hobbies.

stsinner
10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
And to have a queer pitch it made it all the more wonderful... God, how out of touch with reality that clown was.. He doesn't like vacuuming, so he lives in a closet? How retarded.

tinyhouse
10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Tiny houses are nothing new, in fact simple living has been advocated by people from all backgrounds for a very long time.

What is interesting to me is that a website like this (conservative underground) would poke fun at something that is in many ways incredibly conservative. Living simply is all about putting wholesome and healthy priorities first and not giving into the wasteful lifestyle so many Americans are sucked into by television and large corporate marketing ploys.

I run a tiny house website, not Jay's site, and have found that simple living and frugality attracts sensible people from all backgrounds. The politics of my readers ranges widely and what unites us is the idea that living with less can yield more freedom... which ironically the common American lifestyle seems to be lacking as layers of debt pile up around those in search of bigger cars, houses, and bills.

So just a suggestion... before you bash a good idea put down your differences and hate and hold our freedom up high so you can recognize that living simply is better for our nation as a whole.

SarasotaRepub
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Tiny houses are nothing new, in fact simple living has been advocated by people from all backgrounds for a very long time.

What is interesting to me is that a website like this (conservative underground) would poke fun at something that is in many ways incredibly conservative. Living simply is all about putting wholesome and healthy priorities first and not giving into the wasteful lifestyle so many Americans are sucked into by television and large corporate marketing ploys.

I run a tiny house website, not Jay's site, and have found that simple living and frugality attracts sensible people from all backgrounds. The politics of my readers ranges widely and what unites us is the idea that living with less can yield more freedom... which ironically the common American lifestyle seems to be lacking as layers of debt pile up around those in search of bigger cars, houses, and bills.

So just a suggestion... before you bash a good idea put down your differences and hate and hold our freedom up high so you can recognize that living simply is better for our nation as a whole.

My my aren't YOU a tad judgmental with emphasis on mental. ;)

We've seen these little houses before on CU and I have to admit you guys go the DUmmies one better. There was a kook on their website who said no one needs more than 400 square feet so Jay is even more extreme.

You're more than likely a liberal Left Wing kook yourself so I'm probably wasting my time.:D

I personally think these widdle houses are cute and would make a neat little
vacation home near a lake or seashore but I'd be damned if I'd live in one full time.
My wife and I have 3 greyhounds...where are they supposed to go???

And take your "hate" comment and blow it out your ass. :)

megimoo
10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
My my aren't YOU a tad judgmental with emphasis on mental. ;)

We've seen these little houses before on CU and I have to admit you guys go the DUmmies one better. There was a kook on their website who said no one needs more than 400 square feet so Jay is even more extreme.

You're more than likely a liberal Left Wing kook yourself so I'm probably wasting my time.:D

I personally think these widdle houses are cute and would make a neat little
vacation home near a lake or seashore but I'd be damned if I'd live in one full time.
My wife and I have 3 greyhounds...where are they supposed to go???

More likely a doll house for some rich little girl !

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 09:51 PM
If I farted in one of those houses everyone would die!:eek:

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 09:53 PM

"Hate"? Now that's about as judegemntal as it gets, dude.

Nobody on this site is interested in "hating" on homeowners of any kind. We have urban, rural, and suburban dwellers on here. A number of folks on this site live at a frugality level that would make your toes curl and we do it because we want to do it. Not because we follow your morality but because we follow our own.

The fact that a couple with pets or kids wouldn't find this kind of tiny house do-able isn't a "hating" comment. It's a factual comment.

I say this as someone who grew up in a family of 6 - 12 (depending on circumstance) living a two bedroom farmhouse. Don't lecture us about sustainability until you can provide your own bona fides on growing up rural, poor, and fucking thrifty.

AlmostThere
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM
It would be nice if the folks behind the Tumbleweed Blog had a passing familiarity with the truth.

Permits Costs: The cost of a permit has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years. I want to give you an idea what an average permit will cost you today. In most places in the U.S. they range from $15,000 to $50,000. Just to add another room or addition to your existing home. Remember that is just to get a permit to build your addition.
Permits may not be available at all: Some towns, cities and counties no longer will issue a permit. You are banned from any new construction or additions in some areas of the country. This takes the ability to add to your home completely out of your hands. The answer is NO!
Permit Time: Once a permit is requested it can take up to one to two years to process. If you need a space addition right away, it won’t happen. It is necessary to plan way in advance and to know your needs are long before the construction can even start.

In most places permits costs $15,000 to $50,000 for a simple addition? Either the author is a moron or he thinks his audience is. That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in print.

tinyhouse
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Uhhhh... you just made my point. Back to the topic at hand...

Don't you all get it? Big House = Big Mortgage = Lifetime of debt (DEBT SLAVERY)

For just one moment try dropping the anti-everything-like-you position and THINK about it for a second. Would you choose debt slavery if you had a choice? You have a choice and you can hold onto every conservative point of view. This is about money and freedom, nothing else. Everyone could use a little more of that... right?

SarasotaRepub
10-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Don't you all get it? Big House = Big Mortgage = Lifetime of debt (DEBT SLAVERY)

For just one moment try dropping the anti-everything-like-you position and THINK about it for a second. Would you choose debt slavery if you had a choice? You have a choice and you can hold onto every conservative point of view. This is about money and freedom, nothing else. Everyone could use a little more of that... right?

Why don't you stop assuming things. Our house is about 1900 square feet = NO Mortgage=Freedom. Sorry, we aren't slaves dipweed. Our place is paid off.

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Why do you think we all have mortgages? I've paid off two houses and will be done with this one inside of 4 years. I can tell you I don't carry $45,000 in debt of any kind.

SaintLouieWoman
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM

That tiny house is way too small, unless one extremely thrifty person lived there. As others have stated, those of us with pets and kids would never be able to live that lifestyle.

I do think that possibly the McMansons might be slowly disappearing. The out of control conspicuous consumpton is slowly losing its lustre.

I've personally downsized from over 2600 square feet to almost 1700 square feet. We have plenty of room for 2 people and three large dogs. I have about 1/5th the lot size as previously, but there's less grass to cut. Now it doesn't take as long to vacuum, so that's a good thing. The utilities are lower, taxes are lower, and on and on.

However, most people would never willingly live in that extreme tiny house. t would be clausterphobic.

Rockntractor
10-06-2009, 11:10 PM
That tiny house is way too small, unless one extremely thrifty person lived there. As others have stated, those of us with pets and kids would never be able to live that lifestyle.

I do think that possibly the McMansons might be slowly disappearing. The out of control conspicuous consumpton is slowly losing its lustre.

I've personally downsized from over 2600 square feet to almost 1700 square feet. We have plenty of room for 2 people and three large dogs. I have about 1/5th the lot size as previously, but there's less grass to cut. Now it doesn't take as long to vacuum, so that's a good thing. The utilities are lower, taxes are lower, and on and on.

However, most people would never willingly live in that extreme tiny house. t would be clausterphobic.

You really need goats for that lawn!

megimoo
10-06-2009, 11:27 PM
You really need goats for that lawn!
And a bedroom companion !

Gingersnap
10-06-2009, 11:32 PM
And a bedroom companion !

She's got that, Moo. :p

tinyhouse
10-06-2009, 11:57 PM
A few final words and I'll be on my way.

The guy in the video lives an extreme life and it is not for everyone. I think he'd be the first to agree with that statement. But the point of all this extreme downsizing is freedom and that gets lost in the bashing that happens on sites like this one.

For those of you who have escaped debt I congratulate you and pray that more of us find our way.

For the rest of you, especially those who have found themselves caught in impossible situations during this economic storm, if you take nothing else away from this conversation take this... choosing a simple life, living with less, and in less space costs less, brings people closer together (yeah go ahead laugh it up because that was funny), and moves each of closer to financial freedom.

It's not about being liberal. conservative, or anything in between. A debt free self-sufficient life was the true American dream before we ended up in this debt-burdened over-extended consumer society.

Good luck folks.

Rockntractor
10-07-2009, 12:01 AM
A few final words and I'll be on my way.

The guy in the video lives an extreme life and it is not for everyone. I think he'd be the first to agree with that statement. But the point of all this extreme downsizing is freedom and that gets lost in the bashing that happens on sites like this one.

For those of you who have escaped debt I congratulate you and pray that more of us find our way.

For the rest of you, especially those who have found themselves caught in impossible situations during this economic storm, if you take nothing else away from this conversation take this... choosing a simple life, living with less, and in less space costs less, brings people closer together (yeah go ahead laugh it up because that was funny), and moves each of closer to financial freedom.

It's not about being liberal. conservative, or anything in between. A debt free self-sufficient life was the true American dream before we ended up in this debt-burdened over-extended consumer society.

Good luck folks.
I don't understand the chip on your shoulders.

stsinner
10-07-2009, 12:07 AM

I just don't think I could deal with EVERYTHING I DO being inconvenient....

Rockntractor
10-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Some people make a religion out of anything. Small house worship is a new one on me!

lacarnut
10-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Some people make a religion out of anything. Small house worship is a new one on me!

That and those itsy bitsy smart (death trap) cars.

megimoo
10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Some people make a religion out of anything. Small house worship is a new one on me!Small penis envy ?

SarasotaRepub
10-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I don't understand the chip on your shoulders.

Simple Rock. He/she is an all knowing Liberal and we should just bow before
it's superior knowledge on all things...especially widdle houses. :rolleyes::D

Hey tinyhouse, go join DU (assuming you aren't already). The moonbats
there will welcome you. Tell them you tried to edumacate those horrible
people on "The Site That Cannot Be Named!!" ;)

SarasotaRepub
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Bump for BadCat. :D

BadCat
10-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Bump for BadCat. :D

Thanks Sara, I'm sorry I missed this moonbat.

Rockntractor
10-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't miss Crapouillot our French frog!

BadCat
10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Don't miss Crapouillot or French frog!

I saw that.

I'm not sure what to think about it.