PDA

View Full Version : How The VRWC Really Works

megimoo
10-07-2009, 03:31 AM
How The VRWC Really Works

In 1997, the White House was sufficiently alarmed by the emergence of what Hillary Clinton would famously call the "vast right wing conspiracy" (VRWC) that it put out a 332-page report that detailed how the conspiracy worked. In its unapologetic paranoia, the Communication Stream of Conspiracy Commerce recalled nothing so much as the final days of the Nixon administration.

"What is striking about the document," observed the Washington Post at the time, "is that it lays down this suspicion-laden theory about how the media works in cold print, under the imprimatur of the White House." According to the document, here is how the conspiracy stream flowed:

First, well-funded right-wing think tanks and individuals underwrite conservative newsletters and newspapers such as the Western Journalism Center, the American Spectator, and the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Next, the stories are reprinted on the Internet where they are bounced all over the world.

From the Internet, according to the report, the stories went through the right-wing British media, back through the respectable right-wing American press, into Congress, "finally to be covered by the remainder of the American mainstream press as a ‘real' story."

Last week on Meet The Press, NBC's David Gregory raised the specter of the VRWC with former president Clinton. "As you look at this opposition on the right to President Obama, is [the VRWC] still there?" Gregory asked with a straight face. "Oh, you bet," said Clinton. "Sure it is."

A few weeks earlier, Gregory and his guests -- the imperious Tom Friedman of the New York Times and NBC's patronizing anchorman emeritus Tom Brokaw -- were fretting openly about the VRWC's communication stream as it exists in 2009. In addressing the exposure of the former Green Jobs czar Van Jones as a believer in the 9-11 "inside job" theory and other mumbo jumbo, Gregory worried, "You can be a target real fast."

"A lot of people will repeat back to me and take it as face value something that they read on the Internet," cautioned Brokaw. "And my line to them is you have to vet information."

Not to be out-snobbed, Friedman countered, "The Internet is an open sewer of untreated, unfiltered information, left, right, center, up, down, and requires that kind of filtering by anyone."

And my wife wonders why I refuse to watch Sunday morning TV? As a participant in the VRWC's communication stream, I can assure these preposterously well-paid empty suits that they have not the slightest idea of what they are talking about.

To be fair, the mechanics the White House's Communication Stream described in 1997 were not entirely fanciful. What it failed to address, what Gregory and pals failed to address on Meet The Press, was whether these stories were true and, if so, why so circuitous a stream was necessary. The answer to both is fairly obvious. The more accurate the reporting on a story that unnerves the Democrats, the more likely the major media are to block it.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/10/how_the_vrwc_really_works.html#