PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Thread - Now with poll

FlaGator
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Thunderstorms and hot today. It was pretty cloudy when the sun first came up but now it's clearing up. The weather man says this won't last

POTH: I was reading the article at the link below
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g2EZKkkMfz3mHbXbiYI2cWqxz4fQD9B6E0TO0

and it got me thinking, should registered sex offenders be denied their right to choose a place of worship if it has a child care center on the prorperty? I am crossed on this one. Freedom of religion guarantees them the right to worship can circumstances trump this right?

What are your thoughts?

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
It's dark and spitting out here; high temps maybe in the low 40s. Loveland is open and A Basin opens today. It's snowing for real in the high country.

TOTD: The is one heck of a complicated question. I voted that they can't be denied but I need to clarify this answer.

I don't believe there is a" right" to corporate worship. The Russian Orthodox don't have to put up with me nor the Landmark Baptists. If my theological views or my personal lifestyle is at odds with the views of the congregation, they can tell me to hit the road. That's fair.

At the same time, sex offenders are preemptively barred from any place that also caters to children and that limits an offender's scope of life tremendously. These guys sometimes end up living under bridges to comply with all the restrictions and that's just wrong.

The vast majority of sex offenders are wholly uninterested in children. Some gay sex offenders are interested in adolescent boys. I think it would be fair to exclude sex offenders from positions of trust that involve children: they should be barred from being Sunday or Bible school teachers to children or teens, they should be barred from participating in church-sponsored Awana or Scouting activities, they can't be allowed to run the daycare or be involved in any children's programs.

But they ought to be allowed to attend services and to socialize with other adult members of the congregation. They should be allowed to attend bible classes, lectures, retreats, and other events of an adult nature.

We know now that most of the problems among Catholic clergy happened when gay priests were put in charge of male teen activities and were left alone with the boys. They developed predation relationships based on trust that were built up over months or years. These were very private relationships that thrived due to the implicit trust that both the boys and the parents had in the priesthood. Those days are over.

Most churches (including Catholic parishes) bend over backward today to make sure that no adult is left alone with children at any time. Mixed groups of adults supervise all children's activities now and parents are usually involved with supervision.

Barring sex offenders from churches that also run daycare operations is like fortifying the church building against Viking attacks. Good idea in the Dark Ages but pretty senseless today.

BSR
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
TOTD: My mind says "A sex offender shouldn't be able to walk the planet yet alone step foot in my church" but I voted no because I know Jesus doesn't make the distinction between sins. There is no one sin greater than the other.

Constitutionally Speaking
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
TOTD: My mind says "A sex offender shouldn't be able to walk the planet yet alone step foot in my church" but I voted no because I know Jesus doesn't make the distinction between sins. There is no one sin greater than the other.

Agreed!

I would however, have no problem keeping the offender, segregated from any possible up close interaction with children.

That is if the sex offense committed was not some petty act such as that college pranks can lead to (indecent exposure etc.) Context is important.

FlaGator
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I voted yes... but I meant to vote no. Imagine that, misreading the question in my own poll.

A sneak peek at next weeks poll. Should FlaGator be allowed to create polls?

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
TOTD: given that rapists and child molesters should spend the rest of their lives locked away from humanity - yes. The should be denied that choice. They should only have one choice - the prison chapel.

FeebMaster
10-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Why not? You've already got them living under bridges (http://men.style.com/details/blogs/details/2008/07/perverted-justi.html#more) and in the woods (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,556300,00.html?test=latestnews).

Constitutionally Speaking
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I voted yes... but I meant to vote no. Imagine that, misreading the question in my own poll.

You must have caught that from me!

RobJohnson
10-09-2009, 01:49 AM
TOTD: I know a kid that is on the sex offender list from an incident that happened when he was 17...he was slammed by a small town court system with some very ridiculous charges. He had exchanged consentual touching with a 15 year old at a party, there was no sex, etc.... Now this list haunts him as he tries to get on with his life. The cops waited until the day he graduated from high school to arrest him....right after he turned 18. It cost him some jail time & thousands of dollars in bail money & fines...