PDA

View Full Version : Has 40 Years On The Pill Made Women Prefer Boys?

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Taking the pill for past 40 years 'has put women off masculine men'

By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 4:33 PM on 08th October 2009

It ushered in the 1960s sexual revolution and gave women control over their own fertility. But the Pill may also have changed women's taste in men, according to a study. Scientists say the hormones in the oral contraceptive suppress a woman's interest in masculine men and make boyish men more attractive. Although the change occurs for just a few days each month, it may have been highly influential since use of the Pill began more than 40 years ago.

If the theory is right, it could partly explain the shifting in tastes from macho 1950s and 1960s stars such as Kirk Douglas and Sean Connery to the more wimpy, androgynous stars of today, such as Johnny Depp and Russell Brand.

Dr Alexandra Alvergne, of the University of Sheffield, says the Pill could also be altering the way women pick their mates and could have long-term implications for society. 'There are many obvious benefits of the Pill for women, but there is also the possibility that the Pill has psychological side-effects that we are only just discovering,' she said. 'We need further studies to find out what these are.'

The links between the Pill and sexual preferences are highlighted in a paper in the journal Trends in Ecology and Evolution. Scientists have long known that a woman's taste in men changes over her menstrual cycle.

During the few days each month when women are fertile - around the time of ovulation - they tend to prefer masculine features and men who are more assertive. On these fertile days, women are also more attracted to men who are 'genetically dissimilar', Dr Alvergne said. Picking a partner whose genetic make-up is unlike their own increases the chances of having a healthy child.

On days when women are not fertile, their tastes swing towards more feminine, boyish faces and more caring personalities, researchers have shown. However, if women are taking the Pill they no longer have fertile days. That means they no longer experience the hormonal changes that make them more attracted to masculine men and those with dissimilar genetic make-up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1218808/Contraceptive-pill-women-attracted-masculine-men--interested-boyish-looks.html#ixzz0TMdE1PNa

Interesting. It's worth noting that women today are much less feminine-looking than women in the 50s were. I'm talking about ordinary women here - not models or actresses. Even a lot of normal-weight women seem to lack a defined waist or curvy hips.

linda22003
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Interesting. It's worth noting that women today are much less feminine-looking than women in the 50s were.

That's because we don't do our vacuuming in shirtwaist dresses and pearls, the way June Cleaver and Donna Reed did.

Milly
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Any woman who's been on the pill for forty years has been on it too damn long!

I'm adding this one to my list of all-time favorite titles, right next to "Man helps dog bite victum."

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
That's because we don't do our vacuuming in shirtwaist dresses and pearls, the way June Cleaver and Donna Reed did.

Nah, it's because too many women are fat and not enough of them know how to use underwear to good advantage.

noonwitch
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I have never been on the pill, and I never plan to be on it. I'd rather continue to be a smoker, and at my age, I can't do both without serious risks.

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I have never been on the pill, and I never plan to be on it. I'd rather continue to be a smoker, and at my age, I can't do both without serious risks.

I've never taken it either. I can't help but wonder what else it's doing to women who take it for years on end.

megimoo
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I've never taken it either. I can't help but wonder what else it's doing to women who take it for years on end.
How about what the pill doing to the worlds drinking water supply ?

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 04:56 PM
How about what the pill doing to the worlds drinking water supply ?

Well, there's that, no doubt. I have plenty of hormones of my own. I don't want to buy them or worse yet, drink them or eat them accidentally. :eek:

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 05:05 PM

I have to wonder why someone would take it for years on end when there is surgery for him and for her available.

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Nah, it's because too many women are fat and not enough of them know how to use underwear to good advantage.

I blame baby boomers. Burning their bra's . . . . refusing to shave . . . .dressing like men . . . It's all the baby boomers fault.

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I blame baby boomers. Burning their bra's . . . . refusing to shave . . . .dressing like men . . . It's all the baby boomers fault.

Well, it's Baby Boomers who have rejected the numerous benefits of high tech underwear, that's for sure. :p

megimoo
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, there's that, no doubt. I have plenty of hormones of my own. I don't want to buy them or worse yet, drink them or eat them accidentally. :eek:There is so much of the hormones estrogen and levonorgestre in the water supply of most big city's that a woman could stop taking the pill and still be protected !

Shannon
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM

I like the way you think. I blame them for everything all the time.

Eagle
10-08-2009, 07:35 PM
It sounds like women are turning into frogs!

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Well, it's Baby Boomers who have rejected the numerous benefits of high tech underwear, that's for sure. :p

I can't understand why - Corsets are damn sexy as well as functional!

http://artisania.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/gold-natural-silk-sophsticat-corset.jpg

Gingersnap
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
There's nothing wrong with a modern day corset under the right circumstances but we don't have to go even that far. If certain women would just wear a bra that fits and utilize the numerous answers to unattractive bulging, jiggling, and roll-over when wearing body conscious fashions, the world would be a happier place.

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with a modern day corset under the right circumstances but we don't have to go even that far. If certain women would just wear a bra that fits and utilize the numerous answers to unattractive bulging, jiggling, and roll-over when wearing body conscious fashions, the world would be a happier place.

According to Mrs Poli - 80% of women don't wear bra's that fit.

RobJohnson
10-09-2009, 01:54 AM
According to Mrs Poli - 80% of women don't wear bra's that fit.

You would think they would utilize that dressing room at Wal-mart more often!

linda22003
10-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Department stores used to have women in the lingerie department who were "bra fitters" and could show you what was right for you. It's a good thing I remember how they did it, because I haven't seen a bra fitter in a lingerie department in years.

PoliCon
10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
You would think they would utilize that dressing room at Wal-mart more often!

Something.

HERE IS MY PUBLIC SERVICE DEED FOR THE DAY:

http://www.pumpease.com/80-percent-of-women-wear-the-wrong-bra-size

In a properly-fitted bra, you will look thinner, taller and your cupcakes will look perkier.

he he they said cupcakes! :D

RobJohnson
10-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Something.

HERE IS MY PUBLIC SERVICE DEED FOR THE DAY:

http://www.pumpease.com/80-percent-of-women-wear-the-wrong-bra-size

he he they said cupcakes! :D

I mostly care how they look when the bra comes off.

There are health problems associated with wearing the wrong bra size. According to this article, it can harm the actual breast tissue, cause poor posture and produce neck and back pain.

http://www.savethetatas.com/images/gallery/103.jpg

http://www.savethetatas.com/home.htm

PoliCon
10-10-2009, 01:54 AM
I mostly care how they look when the bra comes off.

true - but it's always preferable when they look good in clothing!