PDA

View Full Version : I won an "Amateur Night" in Nashville.

BadCat
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Popped into this little dive called the Nashville Palace, across the street from the Grand Ol Opry. We were drinking quite a bit, I started out drinking Yuengling and switched to Jack Daniels, so I was feeling no pain.

I met a kid and his wife, newlyweds, from Kentucky. Kid told me he was a truck driver and his name was Jeb Stuart. They were pretty drunk too, and as we were listening to the "amateurs" (this is Nashville, there ARE no "amateurs"), Jeb Stuart says to me..."I can sing a couple of songs, maybe I could win the prize tonight".

I told Jeb that I sorta could play the guitar, and we should maybe do a song together. After a couple more Jack Daniels, I borrowed a guitar from a guy, and we got up and played an oldie.

Sure were surprised when we won. $150. I gave it all to Jeb, he was on his honeymoon.

Looking back on it, the song we did (his choice) was kind of funny, I hadn't played it in YEARS, I guess I was just drunk enough to remember it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhrmtbg6Co&feature=related

Only in Nashville.

Rockntractor
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
That is not that old of a song!:mad:

FlaGator
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Popped into this little dive called the Nashville Palace, across the street from the Grand Ol Opry. We were drinking quite a bit, I started out drinking Yuengling and switched to Jack Daniels, so I was feeling no pain.

I met a kid and his wife, newlyweds, from Kentucky. Kid told me he was a truck driver and his name was Jeb Stuart. They were pretty drunk too, and as we were listening to the "amateurs" (this is Nashville, there ARE no "amateurs"), Jeb Stuart says to me..."I can sing a couple of songs, maybe I could win the prize tonight".

I told Jeb that I sorta could play the guitar, and we should maybe do a song together. After a couple more Jack Daniels, I borrowed a guitar from a guy, and we got up and played an oldie.

Sure were surprised when we won. $150. I gave it all to Jeb, he was on his honeymoon.

Looking back on it, the song we did (his choice) was kind of funny, I hadn't played it in YEARS, I guess I was just drunk enough to remember it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhrmtbg6Co&feature=related

Only in Nashville.

They should have let you two do 'Seasons in the Sun' as an encore.

JB
10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
For some reason I thought you didn't drink.

Anyway, who knew Yuengling, Jack and Chevy Van, when combined, would make for a positive outcome. :p

BadCat
10-10-2009, 07:53 PM
For some reason I thought you didn't drink.

Anyway, who knew Yuengling, Jack and Chevy Van, when combined, would make for a positive outcome. :p

I do drink, just not very often.

SarasotaRepub
10-10-2009, 08:12 PM
That was nice of you to give them the cashola.

Hey, you missed a classic kook we had here this week called tinyhouse.
Go look in GD for a thread on tiny houses. He/She was your typical
arrogant Left Wing nutjob. :D

Jumpy
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
That is cool!! You told the guy you could "sorta" play guitar.

I have had some great times with my guy and his guitar when things were not planned ahead..

RobJohnson
10-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Great story & I'm sure you made the young couple's night!

Later this month, there willl be a different type of amateur night. :)

Gingersnap
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Congratulations! Those two will remember that night for many years to come! :)

BadCat
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Congratulations! Those two will remember that night for many years to come! :)

I hope more because it was their honeymoon than because he sang a real good version of "Chevy Van".

expat-pattaya
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah - amatuers in Nashville :D

More hope to be musicians per square mile than any place on the planet I'd bet :cool:

Still, if he pulled off the vocals alone without thinking about it, and you could remember the guitar pretty cool. And since when did songs from my youth become oldies :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice one BC.

I love that song. Haven't heard it in a while.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
That is not that old of a song!:mad:

dude - it's on a 45. It's OLD! :p

RobJohnson
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
dude - it's on a 45. It's OLD! :p

What's a 45?

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
What's a 45?

exactly