PDA

View Full Version : A Darker Side of Columbus Emerges in US Classrooms

megimoo
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
"These Multicultural Swine at the DOE Are Really out to Destroy America.
They are busy rewriting traditional American History to Demonize the European White Man !"

snip
DR. Donna Sabis-Burns, a team leader with the U.S. Department of Education's School Support and Technology Program, surveyed teachers nationwide about the Columbus reading materials they used in class for her University of Florida dissertation. She examined 62 picture books, and found the majority were outdated and contained inaccurate -- and sometimes outright demeaning -- depictions of the native Taino population.

The federal holiday itself also is not universally recognized. Schools in Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles and Seattle will be open; New York City, Washington and Chicago schools will be closed.The day is an especially sensitive issue in places with larger native American populations.

''We have a very large Alaska native population, so just the whole Columbus being the founder of the United States, doesn't sit well with a lot of people, myself included,'' said Paul Prussing, deputy director of Alaska's Division of Teaching and Learning Support.

Many recall decades ago when there was scant mention of indigenous groups in discussions about Columbus. Kracht remembers a picture in one of his fifth-grade textbooks that showed Columbus wading to shore with a huge flag and cross.

''The indigenous population was kind of waiting expectantly, almost with smiles on their faces,'' Kracht said. '''I wonder what this guy is bringing us?' Well, he's bringing us smallpox, for one thing, and none of us are going to live very long.''

Kracht said an emerging multiculturalism led more people to investigate the cruelties suffered by the Taino population in the 1960s and '70s, along with the 500th anniversary in 1992.
However, there are people who believe the discussion has shifted too far. Patrick Korten, vice president of communications for the Catholic fraternal service organization the Knights of Columbus, recalled a note from a member who saw a lesson at a New Jersey school.

The "(White)" students were forced to stand in a cafeteria and not allowed to eat while other students teased and intimidated them -- apparently so they could better understand the suffering indigenous populations endured because of Columbus, Korten said.

''My impression is that in some classrooms, it's anything but a balanced presentation,'' Korten, said. ''That it's deliberately very negative, which is a matter of great concern because that is not accurate.''

Korten said he doesn't believe such activities are widespread -- though the lessons will certainly vary.
http://www.jordomedia.com/RSS/l_op=viewrss/lid=87831.html

fettpett
10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
um...well Paul Prussing is an idiot for one, Columbus wasn't even close to what is now the Untied States and no one gives him credit for "founding" it either. seems like some of these people were smoking something and reading Washinton Irvin's VERY Incorrect book. surprised no one mentioned that they "stupid white man" thought the world was flat too (which is wrong also, they believed the world was round and known it be so for several hundred years before Columbus if not longer) He was looking for a short cut to China and thought he had landed in India (thus Indians)

but forcing students to under go the teasing and intimidation as well as keeping them from eating was not the right way to teach about what happened. bunch of Hypocritical morons that preach tolarance unless it's against whites.

AlmostThere
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Columbus referred to as a founder of the United States. Being one of the first Europeans to discover that North America existed is not founding.

ExLiberal
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm with the left on not celebrating Columbus day, but that's a pretty disturbing "lesson" they're giving. Why don't we just have rock-throwing simulations at white kids when teaching about the civil rights movement. Maybe the DOE should go back to kindergarten and learn that two wrongs don't make a right. When will the left EVER understand this very basic principle?