PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Man in Jail A Week For Mistaken Identity

megimoo
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
"a 44-year-old guy mistaken for one 21 .You Just Can't Find Good Police Help These Days !"

GREENSBORO, N.C. Authorities say a 44-year-old North Carolina man spent a week in jail because he has the same name as a suspect 23 years younger.

The News & Record of Greensboro reported Saturday that Jesse Ray Hardy Jr. of Greenville was arrested Monday, then taken to jail 160 miles away to face charges of resisting an officer, breaking and entering and failing to yield to a pedestrian.

Court officials say the real suspect shares the same name and hometown, but is not related.The mix-up wasn't realized until Friday, despite court appearances in both Pitt and Guilford counties.

Judge Susan Bray apologized to Hardy as she worked to get him released.But he didn't have a way home.They took him to a Jail 160 miles Away !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091010/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_wrong_man_jailed;_ylt=AmzjD8hf.WgIXTbeWqXll UntiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJzYTVpYXBhBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxM DEwL3VzX29kZF93cm9uZ19tYW5famFpbGVkBGNwb3MDNQRwb3M DMgRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDbmNtYW5pbmpha Wxh

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
When I lived in Florida I received a notice from my insurance company that my auto insurance was being canceled due to multiple driving infractions including DUI and a suspended license.

I contacted my insurance company to say that there was no way this was true. They told me to contact the State of Florida Drivers License department.

I did. Short version is that in Florida, your Drivers License number is (or was at that time anyway) derived from your full name and date of birth.

Someone with my exact name and date of birth had committed those infractions. In a case where there are two people with exactly the same name and date of birth then when the license is issued there is supposed to be a -1 or -2 or -3 at the end of the DL number.

That had been left off in my case.

I always wondered if I had had my info called in during a traffic stop if I would have been arrested.

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
When I lived in Florida I received a notice from my insurance company that my auto insurance was being canceled due to multiple driving infractions including DUI and a suspended license.

I contacted my insurance company to say that there was no way this was true. They told me to contact the State of Florida Drivers License department.

I did. Short version is that in Florida, your Drivers License number is (or was at that time anyway) derived from your full name and date of birth.

Someone with my exact name and date of birth had committed those infractions. In a case where there are two people with exactly the same name and date of birth then when the license is issued there is supposed to be a -1 or -2 or -3 at the end of the DL number.

That had been left off in my case.

I always wondered if I had had my info called in during a traffic stop if I would have been arrested.

Yes you would have been arrested and some big guy named Bubba would have had his way with you in jail. How ironic, same name!

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes you would have been arrested and some big guy named Bubba would have had his way with you in jail. How ironic, same name!

He'd be turned on by Spandex, no doubt. :eek:

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
He'd be turned on by Spandex, no doubt. :eek:
If your ever in jail and somebody farts but nobody hears it, admit to it!

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
If your ever in jail and somebody farts but nobody hears it, admit to it!

99 times out of 100, it would be me. :o