PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate?

djones520
10-12-2009, 12:46 PM
So... us blood sucking greedy conservative types. How true is that?

I'm a "Key Worker" in this years Combined Federal Campaign. For the uninitiated, it's basically a massive charity drive for all federal employees. We get a big ole list of charities, and pick and choose who we'd like to donate to.

I'm donating $240 this year. It'll be split evenly between 4 organizations.

Israel Special Kids Fund (I'd be lying if I didn't think of this pissing Gator off when I chose it:p) - kinda self explanatory
Peter C. Alderman Foundation - Helps to train Dr.'s and the type to provide relief in terrorism ravaged places
Science Olympiad - promotes education among children here in America
Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled (I picked this one just because I love the idea of sending Monkeys to get beer:D)

I've also donated another $240 this year to the Air Force Assistance Fund, which is basically a charity that allows AF members to draw on funds in an emergency situation.

All in all, that's roughly 1.5% of my taxable income. Not exactly a huge amount, but I'm not in any sense of the imagination "well off" so I feel it's pretty good.

So, does anyone else feel like sharing what they donate?

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I donate all the time - and am deeply involved in fundraising for several of the causes I support. I Fundraise and give to a local Christian school that offers a low cost Christian alternative to failing public schools; for a fund to build a retirement home for missionaries - to several foregin missions including an orphanages in Brazil and India; schools and a orphan feeding program in Kenya; missions in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Israel, Costa Rica, and Hawaii; a Crisis pregnancy center; and a local soup kitchen. Not to brag - but we figured out that last year between our tithes and supporting these good works we gave 34% of our income in charitable donations.

BadCat
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I do and I don't.

All of those listed by dj would be "don'ts". I don't know what their administrative "overhead" is, and how much of any donation actually reaches the intended recipients. For most "charities", it is very little.

I do give to local animal shelters, because I know they buy food and supplies for the animals, and I like animals more than I like people anyway.

djones520
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I do and I don't.

All of those listed by dj would be "don'ts". I don't know what their administrative "overhead" is, and how much of any donation actually reaches the intended recipients. For most "charities", it is very little.

I do give to local animal shelters, because I know they buy food and supplies for the animals, and I like animals more than I like people anyway.

CFC actually lists their overheads. None of the ones I picked had more then 10%. Some on the list got as high as 50%

linda22003
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
We do not donate to the Combined Federal Campaign, mostly because my husband worked for United Way for several years and it was a racket. I hope it has cleaned up its act, but we give instead to specific causes that matter to us.

We have found it helpful to set a target every year for charitable giving. This year we set it at $400/month, so when I wrote a check for $1000 to my school, we "credited" ourselves for two and a half months of giving.

I am not comfortable with the amount we set for this year (that's why we set targets, so we can measure how we're doing), so next year it will be at least $500/month.

FlaGator
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I donate to very specific causes but to those causes I tend to give generously. I also volunteer as much as possible because some organizations can use your time more than your cash. I do not donate to political causes because I don't really care for what they usually do with the money. I feel more inclined to give to organizations that help people and animals but not the radical animal nuts. I perfer to give to those animal organizations that care more about the animals than they do about boosting their own sense of self importance.

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I have been a key worker for CFC several times. I give every year. This year I'm getting a cool looking paper weight with an eagle and a globe, if the picture is accurate. I have several CFC clocks.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
The only animal 'cause' I'm giving money to is my local butcher.

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Most years I give to a girls orphanage in Israel. This year I have had to borrow to survive.

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
CFC actually lists their overheads. None of the ones I picked had more then 10%. Some on the list got as high as 50%

I pick ones with reasonable overheads.

Quick story. I work in an office in rural Georgia. I was set to go to key worker training...on 09/11/2001.

I was to be at the Federal Building in Downtown Atlanta at 1:30. Well, planes started hitting buildings in New York and I'm like WTF?

I called around 10:00 and asked if the training was still happening. Yes, they said, we're having the training. Well, at about 11:00 (after the Pentagon was hit) I called back to say BUBBA AIN'T GONNA BE COMING TO THE FEDERAL BUILDING TODAY and the phone just rang and rang. The building was evacuated and we got sent home about 1:00 pm.

Thanks for being a Key Worker. I know it's a pain, but there are some good charities out there. :)

Rockntractor
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm going to give the website for the orphanage in case someone else wants to give.
http://www.levlalev.com/

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Most years I give to a girls orphanage in Israel. This year I have had to borrow to survive.

I know that feeling - but I always consider the widows mite and give - perhaps not as much as I would have if I had more - but I still give.

PLUS - like Gator said - time is often more important than money. One of the places I give time is to my church youth ministry. The average attendance this year is in excess of 50 kids - and about 3/4 of them are basically street kids who have little or no religious instruction at home - if they even have a home worth speaking of. :( These kids need unconditional love and acceptance and they need someone to encourage them to do the right thing - and to tell them what the right thing is in the first place!

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
I know that feeling - but I always consider the widows mite and give - perhaps not as much as I would have if I had more - but I still give.

PLUS - like Gator said - time is often more important than money. One of the places I give time is to my church youth ministry. The average attendance this year is in excess of 50 kids - and about 3/4 of them are basically street kids who have little or no religious instruction at home - if they even have a home worth speaking of. :( These kids need unconditional love and acceptance and they need someone to encourage them to do the right think - and to tell them what the right thing is in the first place!

Best post you've ever made, Poli.

And you've made many good ones.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Best post you've ever made, Poli.

And you've made many good ones.

all my posts are good ones! :p

Bubba Dawg
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
all my posts are good ones! :p

Especially the ones with Lars involved. :p

djones520
10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
As soon as my schedule will allow, I'm gonna try to get out to the VA Hospital in St. Louis and spend a day out there. Other then that, most of my volunteered time is at the S.S. City of Milwaukee. It's a National Historic Landmark that my mother runs. I'll fundraise, and help with restorations.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I'd like to encourage people to get involved in some sort of mentoring program - even the likes of Big Brother/ Big Sisters or some sort of after school program . . . . Kids need people they can rely on and look up to.

RobJohnson
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
One of the places I give time is to my church youth ministry. The average attendance this year is in excess of 50 kids

That is very worthwile, it gives kids a chance, that would never have one at home.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
That is very worthwile, it gives kids a chance, that would never have one at home.

Right. Sadly we have those in our church who do not think we should allow the street kids to come unless they walk, talk, and act a specific way. The Bishop had to remind these people that Christ for the lost sheep not the saved.

hampshirebrit
10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I give to PLAN, which is a secular sponsorship program for disadvantaged children overseas, and the the RSPCA, which is a charity for disadvantaged animals here in the UK.

RobJohnson
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Right. Sadly we have those in our church who do not think we should allow the street kids to come unless they walk, talk, and act a specific way. The Bishop had to remind these people that Christ for the lost sheep not the saved.

There are always those folks in the church that frown at the youth programs. We had a skateboard park ministry that included ramps, rails, etc and opened it up to the community one night a week...many in the church hated that! But, I seen first hand how much of a positive impact it had, not only on the kids, but also the community.

jendf
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
We do not donate to the Combined Federal Campaign, mostly because my husband worked for United Way for several years and it was a racket. I hope it has cleaned up its act, but we give instead to specific causes that matter to us.

It's so refreshing to read this.

My organization participates in the United Way campaign every year (we're right in the middle of one right now). The amount of pressure to give is ridiculous. They make employees return their donation card whether or not we intend to donate. I imagine non-donors like myself are put on Santa's naughty list or something.

At least one employee every year tells me in a huff, "But you can get it deducted from your paycheck! It's so easy!"

And I have to tell them that it's nobody's damn business but my own who I donate to and I have enough government and insurance company tentacles on my check as it is...I don't need another organization dipping into my earnings before I have a chance to enjoy it.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 06:08 PM
It's so refreshing to read this.

My organization participates in the United Way campaign every year (we're right in the middle of one right now). The amount of pressure to give is ridiculous. They make employees return their donation card whether or not we intend to donate. I imagine non-donors like myself are put on Santa's naughty list or something.

At least one employee every year tells me in a huff, "But you can get it deducted from your paycheck! It's so easy!"

And I have to tell them that it's nobody's damn business but my own who I donate to and I have enough government and insurance company tentacles on my check as it is...I don't need another organization dipping into my earnings before I have a chance to enjoy it.

I worked for a United Way Agency - if you think the pressure is high when your company gives to the Unite Way - think how high it was on me when I worked for them. I refused to give to the general fund. I always earmarked my donation for specific groups.

linda22003
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
True, Poli, and that's what my husband did years ago when he worked for United Way. They HATED him giving to one charity instead of the general fund, but they couldn't do anything about it.

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 06:16 PM
True, Poli, and that's what my husband did years ago when he worked for United Way. They HATED him giving to one charity instead of the general fund, but they couldn't do anything about it. I gave to two - the organization I worked for - and the Boy Scouts.

linda22003
10-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Our major donation recipients are my prep school, Children's Hospital, and Smile Train. We are giving enough money this year to fix five or six children, at $250 per surgery.

http://www.smiletrain.org/

We give it to our friends for Christmas, and have told them, "Your Christmas present fixed a kid. If there's something you need more than they need a new face, tell us, and we'll get it for you." So far everyone has loved it, and no one has taken us up on our offer. :)