PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Peace Prize Decision Seen As Attempt to Steer U.S. Policies

PoliCon
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Monday, October 12, 2009
By Patrick Goodenough, International Editor

(CNSNews.com) – A Norwegian committee’s decision to award the 2009 Nobel peace prize to President Obama continues to make waves around the world, with some of the focus shifting away from the appropriateness of the choice to the implications for future U.S. policy.

The Norwegian government has confirmed that Obama will travel to Oslo to receive the award at a ceremony on December 10. He is the first sitting U.S. president to win the award since Woodrow Wilson in 1919, the year he founded the League of Nations. Wilson had been president for six years.

Whether applauding or criticizing the 2009 decision, one theme evident in international reaction is the view that the award is an “advance” or “down payment” – an attempt to prod the United States further down the path that Obama is following.

Even before the surprise decision was announced Friday, a close observer of the process – without predicting that Obama would win – surmised that this was precisely what the five prize committee judges had in mind.

“They want the prize to have an impact on things that are about to happen and want to affect events,” Kristian Berg Harpviken, head of the International Peace Institute in Oslo, told Reuters.

CONTINUED (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/55302)

cowbell
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
So. Have you ever heard of the Nobel Peace Prize? It's about politics. has always been about politics. and will probably always be about politics. i mean...does anyone here really want peace? that would disband your beloved military.

PoliCon
10-16-2009, 11:18 PM
.does anyone here really want peace? that would disband your beloved military.

um no it wouldn't. What kind of idiot idea is that? :confused:

Rockntractor
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
So. Have you ever heard of the Nobel Peace Prize? It's about politics. has always been about politics. and will probably always be about politics. i mean...does anyone here really want peace? that would disband your beloved military.
You haven't posted for awhile. Have you been in treatment?

cowbell
10-16-2009, 11:50 PM
no treatment. thanks for asking though. its really nice to have people who genuinely care about one's health asking about it.

Rockntractor
10-16-2009, 11:51 PM
no treatment. thanks for asking though. its really nice to have people who genuinely care about one's health asking about it.

We love everyone!:D

cowbell
10-16-2009, 11:52 PM
well. ok then. I'm not reallly sure about that.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 12:01 AM
i guess i should clarify: i'm not really sure about the "loving everyone" biz-nass

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 12:07 AM
You don't buy in to that whole evil conservative thing do you?

cowbell
10-17-2009, 12:20 AM
"evil" conservative? no.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
do you?

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 12:43 AM
do you?
Off course would liberals lie?

cowbell
10-17-2009, 12:44 AM
would conservatives?

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 12:48 AM
would conservatives?
Why would they need to with all those little fact thingies around.

cowbell
10-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Why would they need to with all those little fact thingies around.

ok. im sorry. what "facts" are you talking about?

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 01:03 AM
ok. im sorry. what "facts" are you talking about?

The ones your god AL Gore won't discuss with anyone. You know the ones that are settled written in stone. Like the fact of global warming that had to be changed to climate change because we have gotten cooler the last ten years. Perhaps the fact that this thread is about. A president that has accomplished nothing that is given a prize for what he might do. Do you honestly think I'm going to take the words from a liberal seriously?

cowbell
10-17-2009, 01:58 AM
NOOOO you will NOT trash my "god" al gore!
ok but seriously, this thing about doubting climate change has got to stop. I live in the fucking desert, I have been working with climate change (specifically climate change in the desert and the pacific northwest) for about 4 years, and well, we're normally in a drought out here for maybe 1-2 years...but it has been, what? about 10? does that sound "normal" to any of you "scientists" out there?

Rockntractor
10-17-2009, 02:00 AM
ok but seriously, this thing about doubting climate change has got to stop. I live in the fucking desert, I have been working with climate change (specifically climate change in the desert and the pacific northwest) for about 4 years, and well, we're normally in a drought out here for maybe 1-2 years...but it has been, what? about 10? does that sound "normal" to any of you "scientists" out there?
A drought in a desert for ten years! No shit?:eek:

marv
10-17-2009, 11:06 AM
How do you know what is normal for the desert and Pacific Northwest if you've only worked there for "about" 4 years? So what has your little piece of a small desert have to do with the climate of the entire Earth?

On the otherhand, there are times when I think that crabgrass, which is trying to take over my backyard, is on the verge of becoming a menace to all of mankind, and cover the whole of the Earth. What's needed is quadrillions of dollars of wealth to combat this creeping danger. Yes! Stamp it out! We humans are so much smarter than nature. We control the...ugh...now I'm starting to sound like an albore version of The Outer Limits........

So which part of the elephant did you get hold of; the tail, the trunk, or maybe the leg? Sensible people see the entire thing, and aren't blind to what they don't want to see or hear, and aren't required to believe in those things they don't understand.

djones520
10-17-2009, 11:17 AM

http://www.john-daly.com/solar/US-drought.htm

See if you can understand any of this.

You also might want to check some NOAA reports. You look at the drought report from January, and compair it to September, and you'll see some pretty big differances. Where almost all of New Mexico was in a moderate drought in Jan, it's for the most part at average now. California and Oregon dropped from Severe, to Moderate. Most other area's in the west have had little change.

So all in all, it would seem that the last 9-10 months has seen a decrease in the drought.