PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons Why Pastors Avoid the Culture War

Gingersnap
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
10 Reasons Why Pastors Avoid the Culture War
by Doug Giles

As far as I’m concerned, a silent or waffling pastor in today’s paranormal climate is unnecessary. I don’t care how much the minister likes kitty cats, candy canes, and if he cries at Celine Dion concerts. Look, Voiceless Vicar, if you’re not currently in the middle of this crucial cultural squabble, pointing out what’s putrid and cheering on what’s proper, then you’re Dr. Evil in my book.

Given that the culture-dividing issues, thanks to Obama, are more obvious than Joan Rivers’ last lip implants, it is mind-boggling to me that many ministers are mute or side with parties, policies and principles that are antithetical to the Judeo-Christian worldview. I don’t know if you got this memo in seminary but pastors are not only supposed to salvage souls but also build the good society.

In some kind of ascending order, it seems to me there are 10 reasons why pastors and priests avoid political and intense cultural issues and thus aid and abet evil:

1. Fear of Man: If you purport to be a man of God then your regard for God and His opinion must trump the trepidation of the creature God created from spit and mud. Come on, man of God, don’t fear the crowd . . . we’re peons with cell phones who’ll shoot Botox into our foreheads. We’re weird and fickle weather vanes of what’s en vogue. You’ve got to lead us. Therefore, move into the Moses mode and command us to be and do what is holy, just and good. The grinning, mild, subtle Oprah approach doesn’t seem to be stemming the current flood of cultural filth.

2. Ignorance: Most people are not bold in areas in which they are ignorant . . . always excepting Janeane Garofalo, of course. I know keeping up with all the pressing political issues is maddening, but that’s life, brother, and if you want to be a voice in society and not just an echo, you have got to be in the know. Staying briefed is par for the course for the hardy world changer.

3. Division: Y’know, I hate the current non-essential divisions in the church as much as the next acerbic Christian columnist. Squabbling over the color of the carpet, who’ll play the organ next Sunday or who is the Beast of Revelation, is stupidity squared. That being said, there’s a time and place for a holy throw-down and an ecclesiastical split from political policies and parties. For a minister to seek unity with secularists when they are trashing and rewriting Scripture with impunity is to side with vice and to allow darkness to succeed.

Read 'em all: Big Hollywood (http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/dgiles/2009/10/13/10-reasons-why-pastors-avoid-the-culture-war-doug-giles/)

wilbur
10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
This really tempts me to make a list of the top 10 reasons we should be thankful many pastors avoid the cultural war... first and foremost is they have dedicated their lives to an obvious lie.

BadCat
10-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Again Wilbur?

Do you never tire of your one meme posts?

We do.

Rockntractor
10-13-2009, 11:42 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/wilbur-demotivational-poster-125549.jpg?t=1255491693

RobJohnson
10-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I think #10 has alot to do with it.

Lager
10-14-2009, 12:41 AM
This really tempts me to make a list of the top 10 reasons we should be thankful many pastors avoid the cultural war... first and foremost is they have dedicated their lives to an obvious lie.

When Mother Teresa ministered to the poor, sick and the dying, when she helped to set up and run hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis, and when she operated soup kitchens, schools and orphanages, do you think it was a concern of those she helped, that she might have dedicated her life to a lie?

Now I know you might say that she never involved herself in any culture war, but I think the rebuttal to your point is that one can still accomplish much good in this world, even if they are guilty of the worst possible transgression in your eyes-- belief in a fantasy "sky god".

FlaGator
10-14-2009, 07:06 AM

You are wrong. Many pastors don't believe in global warming as you seem to suggest in your message. Many have, however, dedicated their lives to Christ.

linda22003
10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
You are wrong. Many pastures don't believe in global warming as you seem to suggest in your message. Many have, however, dedicated their lives to Christ.

I don't know what meadows might believe about global warming, or Jesus, for that matter. Did you mean "pastors"?
I suggest a coffee deficiency. :p

FlaGator
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't know what meadows might believe about global warming, or Jesus, for that matter. Did you mean "pastors"?
I suggest a coffee deficiency. :p

I've been working between 60 and 75 hours for the last month and a half and sleep isn't something that I get much of. Coffee quit working weeks ago :D

noonwitch
10-14-2009, 09:01 AM

I would prefer to see pastors fighting a decadent culture than taking on political battles. What he is saying is that a lot of christian pastors are hiding their heads in the sand by remaining constantly in a christian enviornment and not engaging with the culture around them-even if that is a critical stance. By doing so, they are ignoring Jesus' teachings to go out in the world and show that God's love and mercy can be a more powerful message than those sent out by a culture that exploits people for profit and preys on our worst fears and impulses.