PDA

View Full Version : 6 year old boy trapped alone in soaring balloon

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh my goodness is anyone else watching this 6 year old boy stuck in the balloon device travelling rapidly throughout the air? If not turn on the news right now! This is so suspenseful. They've told everyone to pray.

Gingersnap
10-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh my goodness is anyone else watching this 6 year old boy stuck in the balloon device travelling rapidly throughout the air? If not turn on the news right now! This is so suspenseful. They've told everyone to pray.

Deputies chase boy floating in balloon aircraft
Cops: 6-year-old takes off in family's experimental helium-balloon craft

KUSA

http://i35.tinypic.com/352ejrl.jpg
A 6-year-old boy reportedly took off in this helium-ballooned-power experimental aircraft.

FORT COLLINS. Colo. - Authorities were scouring the skies Thursday for a 6-year-old boy who reportedly unhooked his family's experimental balloon-powered aircraft and floated away from home, sheriff's officials said.

The Larimer County Sheriff's Department said the boy's family had been building an experimental aircraft that had a large helium balloon attached to it at their home, KUSA-TV reported. The aircraft was approximately 20 feet by 5 feet and covered in tin foil, the station said.

On Thursday morning, according to the family and officials, the boy got onto the aircraft and detached the rope holding it in place. Sheriff's spokeswoman Eloise Campanella said the boy climbed into the access door and the airborne device took off.

Several people in the neighborhood said they saw the aircraft floating over their homes and some snapped pictures.

Officials were scrambling to figure out how to rescue the boy.

The craft, which is shaped like a flying saucer, has the potential to rise to 10,000 feet, Campanella said. Sheriff's officials last saw the device floating south of Milliken, which is about 40 miles north of Denver.

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33330516/ns/us_news-life/)

We're follwing the whole thing pretty closely out here. :eek:

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:00 PM
The balloon is flying 25 mph at 6000 feet in the air, going higher- can go up to 10,000 feet in the air. This is so scary and sad :(

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Woops didn't see your post. Yeah this definitely needs lots of prayers.

Gingersnap
10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
The balloon is flying 25 mph at 6000 feet in the air, going higher- can go up to 10,000 feet in the air. This is so scary and sad :(

It's not sad yet - let's not jump the gun here.

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
It's not sad yet - let's not jump the gun here.

How on earth are they going to get this thing down? How high can it go before the boy can't survive?

Gingersnap
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
How on earth are they going to get this thing down? How high can it go before the boy can't survive?

I don't know but we have to hope for the best.

hampshirebrit
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
That thing is really shifting ...:eek:

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know but we have to hope for the best.

They're saying there's no immediate danger and that it won't go any higher. It'll keep going as it gradually deflates and lowers to the ground, hopefully with nothing in its way. Could last a couple days, apparently. Sheesh.

Well I'm glad we have hope!

FlaGator
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Its just not safe to be a kid out west. Arizona is trying to turn boys in to girls and Colorado is putting them in orbit.

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
It landed!!!

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Waiting to see if kid is in it....

hampshirebrit
10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
No kid

hampshirebrit
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Its just not safe to be a kid out west. Arizona is trying to turn boys in to girls and Colorado is putting them in orbit.

LOLZ !!!:D

Speedy
10-15-2009, 03:49 PM
It was a tense hour or so, but the question still stands, where is the kid? Did he fall out along the way?

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
It was a tense hour or so, but the question still stands, where is the kid? Did he fall out along the way?

Dad said he knows the boy went into the balloon. Brother says he thinks he fell out. Witness reported seeing what looked like something falling out of the balloon. :(

But there's always the possibility of the kid freaking out and hiding.

Gingersnap
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I wonder if he even went up. A sibling said he was in the balloon when it took off but he could have gotten out first and then run off to hide when the balloon went up.

Running and hiding would have been my first thought as a child if I'd damaged some hugely expensive or important object.

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder if he even went up. A sibling said he was in the balloon when it took off but he could have gotten out first and then run off to hide when the balloon went up.

Running and hiding would have been my first thought as a child if I'd damaged some hugely expensive or important object.

Police just searched the house top to bottom-no kid. But who knows where a scared kid might go? Especially knowing the importance of the balloon to his father.

megimoo
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Police just searched the house top to bottom-no kid. But who knows where a scared kid might go? Especially knowing the importance of the balloon to his father.
The Mylar airbag had a Gondola hanging from the bottom when it lifted off and that's now missing .They are backtracking looking for it now !

Speedy
10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Boy was found hiding in a box in the garage attic. Apparently he let the balloon go, had an ass burning waiting for him so he hid instead.

hampshirebrit
10-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Boy was found hiding in a box in the garage attic. Apparently he let the balloon go, had an ass burning waiting for him so he hid instead.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do (hide, I mean).

Shep Smith was really out of control over this ... damn funny stuff, now we know the brat is safe.

Shannon
10-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Shep is always out of control.:rolleyes: I saw this crazy family on Wife Swap awhile ago. I'm glad the brat is okay.

Apache
10-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Hannity was talking about this through out his show today...

It ended like I thought it might...;)

Wonder what lil' dude got waiting for him :eek:

ExLiberal
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Joy!! :)

Rapier09
10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I am wondering if the father engineered this whole chain of events in order to get some attention.

SPYDER
10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
The father had to know a 20' diameter by 5' high balloon would of had a hard time lifting 10 pounds into the air. Seems like he had made them before.

stsinner
10-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Has anyone mentioned that this couple was on WifeSwap a few weeks ago, and the wife as completely psycho?

He's a tornado chaser, and their kids have no rules....

Rockntractor
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Has anyone mentioned that this couple was on WifeSwap a few weeks ago, and the wife as completely psycho?

He's a tornado chaser, and their kids have no rules....

Shananigan mentioned it post #22.

Speedy
10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
The kid spills the beans. "We did it for a show."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A

linda22003
10-16-2009, 07:47 AM
I've heard people here be uncertain, or against, people being charged for the authorities' work in rescuing them. Is anyone against it in this situation? :rolleyes:

ExLiberal
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
The kid spills the beans. "We did it for a show."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A

Hahaha! Incredible.

ExLiberal
10-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I've heard people here be uncertain, or against, people being charged for the authorities' work in rescuing them. Is anyone against it in this situation? :rolleyes:

I am not.

Gingersnap
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM

If they can demonstrate that this must have been a hoax (which is what it's looking like today), then the family should be liable for at least some of the expense. This was a huge effort out here on the part of the authorities. That's not counting all the volunteers in helicopters, ultra-lights, etc. :(

Rockntractor
10-16-2009, 10:40 AM
If they can demonstrate that this must have been a hoax (which is what it's looking like today), then the family should be liable for at least some of the expense. This was a huge effort out here on the part of the authorities. That's not counting all the volunteers in helicopters, ultra-lights, etc. :(

There were a lot of idiots involved here. A balloon of a physical size that could only pick up 8 pounds and none of the "experts" in on this area could figure that out? I would give him the fine or jail time customary for fraud or what ever they decide the crime is. As far as actual costs if they want to chase a party balloon all over Colorado they can pay for it.

hampshirebrit
10-16-2009, 10:40 AM
They're an entire family of obvious moonbats, but I really doubt if this was a hoax. I don't think they should have to pick up the tab. It's just a shit-happens thing that the public has to pay for.

ExLiberal
10-16-2009, 12:47 PM
They're an entire family of obvious moonbats, but I really doubt if this was a hoax. I don't think they should have to pick up the tab. It's just a shit-happens thing that the public has to pay for.

The kid admitted it was a hoax! See the video above...

hampshirebrit
10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
The kid admitted it was a hoax! See the video above...

He's six. I doubt if he knows what a hoax is.

jendf
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I've gone from being mildly amused by this whole story to wanting to punch these parents in the face. Marching your sick son out in front of the cameras is reprehensible. Attention whores much? Yeesh.

ExLiberal
10-16-2009, 01:31 PM
He's six. I doubt if he knows what a hoax is.

He said "you said we did it for a show". Sounds like he was pretty much repeating what his parents had told him. And even before he said that I noticed the mom was like suspiciously nodding to get the kid to go along with something. I dunno it all seems staged to me.

hampshirebrit
10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
He said "you said we did it for a show". Sounds like he was pretty much repeating what his parents had told him. And even before he said that I noticed the mom was like suspiciously nodding to get the kid to go along with something. I dunno it all seems staged to me.

Sheriff says no.

Sheriff : No Hoax (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20313358,00.html)

SPYDER
10-16-2009, 08:17 PM
There were a lot of idiots involved here. A balloon of a physical size that could only pick up 8 pounds and none of the "experts" in on this area could figure that out? I would give him the fine or jail time customary for fraud or what ever they decide the crime is. As far as actual costs if they want to chase a party balloon all over Colorado they can pay for it.

I said that also. But some professor from a Denver collage says it could lift 80 pounds. I say BS!! No way a balloon 20' wide and only 5' thick could not lift over 10 pounds!!!