PDA

View Full Version : FLDS official: No more underage marriages

LibraryLady
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
FLDS official: No more underage marriages, reunifications begin with the children

SAN ANGELO, Texas Perhaps bowing to the pressure at the center of the FLDS custody case, a spokesman for the church today released a prepared statement saying members will be counseled to not allow or participate in marriages below the age of consent.
FLDS member Willy Jessop released the statement this afternoon and said it would apply to all members of the church.

"The church commits it will not preside over the marriage of any woman under the age of legal consent in the jurisdiction in which the marriage takes place," Jessop said.

The statement comes on the heels of a judge's order today that released all FLDS children in custody has already reunited some mothers with their children and has parents criss-crossing the state of Texas to get their children back

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700231225,00.html

But not every attorney is happy.

Natalie E. Malonis, a guardian ad litem who represents a child who is also a mother in state custody, has filed an an emergency motion to prevent the return of her client, saying the court's order will cause "immediate and irreparable harm to the physical safety and welfare of the child."

The threat, she said, is because the female is an identified victim of sexual abuse.

Interesting. Wonder if more emergency motions will be filed?

ReaganForRus
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
question to all you intelligent posters.......if the raid was enacted on the YFZ compound by a false complaint to authorities, ( the Obama delegate out of Colorado Springs ), how can any further investigation occur? It would seem to me that the call to CPS has tainted the original complaint and any further actions by the State of Texas and CPS would be fruit of a poisoned tree and rendered moot. I'm not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV:D), so I find it fascinating that the mere wift of wrongdoing without any evidence can engage the wheels of the State against a group of citizens.

CLibertarian
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
question to all you intelligent posters.......if the raid was enacted on the YFZ compound by a false complaint to authorities, ( the Obama delegate out of Colorado Springs ), how can any further investigation occur? It would seem to me that the call to CPS has tainted the original complaint and any further actions by the State of Texas and CPS would be fruit of a poisoned tree and rendered moot. I'm not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV:D), so I find it fascinating that the mere wift of wrongdoing without any evidence can engage the wheels of the State against a group of citizens.

It's just SOP for CP$. It happens to individual families every day. All that it takes is an anonymous report from someone that simply doesn't like you. TX CP$ exposed their SOP in this high profile case.

Phillygirl
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Fruit of the poisonous tree refers to an agent of the state willfully disregarding due process requirements (such as warrantless searches). It does not apply to a citizen acting in his own capacity. As long as the state used good faith in relying upon the bogus phone call, the investigation can continue.

CLibertarian
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Fruit of the poisonous tree refers to an agent of the state willfully disregarding due process requirements (such as warrantless searches). It does not apply to a citizen acting in his own capacity. As long as the state used good faith in relying upon the bogus phone call, the investigation can continue.

But, will they prosecute a false/malicious reoporter?

LibraryLady
06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
But, will they prosecute a false/malicious reoporter?

Police link years of calls to Swinton

In an arrest warrant request filed in El Paso County Circuit Court, a Colorado Springs detective listed calls police have linked to Rozita Swinton - chiefly by tracing cell phone numbers - since 2005.

Sarah Barlow: On March 29, Sarah Barlow began a series of phone calls to the NewBridge Family Shelter in San Angelo, Texas. She claimed to be a pregnant 16-year-old with an 8-month-old baby, and said her 49-year-old husband was abusing her at the YFZ Ranch in Eldorado. Sarah was making similar calls to a Washington state shelter.
Colorado Springs police were contacted April 13 by Texas Rangers about Sarah's calls. The next day, Colorado Springs police confirmed numbers provided by Texas Rangers are linked to Swinton.
http://www.sltrib.com/contents/ci_9439398

She is also an Obama delegate

http://www.peakdems.org/obama_state_del.asp

Gingersnap
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV:D), so I find it fascinating that the mere wift of wrongdoing without any evidence can engage the wheels of the State against a group of citizens.

Sadly, it happens all too often. When women or children are involved the State thunders into action like a blind hog in a food court.

noonwitch
06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I feel badly for the workers on this case-the directives in a massive removal like this did not come from a worker or even a first-line supervisor. It was likely a management affair, where the workers were doing exactly what the higher ups directed them to do. We've been talking about it at work, and about how we would handle such a thing.

But, when there is a kid who ends up dead from abuse, or a kid is sexually abused to a degree that the story reaches the media, who are the first people who get blamed in the court of public opinon? Not the perps, but the CPS system.

One thing I hope is done-the state took all those DNA samples from the kids and parents-those need to be expunged from the record and the lab (Orchid Cellmark?). There is too much potential for government abuse of those records, and if the court dismissed the case, there is no legitimate reason to keep the information.

AmPat
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
"The church commits it will not preside over the marriage of any woman under the age of legal consent in the jurisdiction in which the marriage takes place," Jessop said.
Wow, That's a relief. And all this time we were concerned.:rolleyes:

A legitimate "church" would not assure us after the fact, they would never be put in a position like this in the first place.

CLibertarian
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Police link years of calls to Swinton

http://www.sltrib.com/contents/ci_9439398

She is also an Obama delegate

http://www.peakdems.org/obama_state_del.asp

There was an arrest warrant but, I didn't see where an actual arrest occurred or prosecution was initiated.

LibraryLady
06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Charged in Colorado with one count of false reporting, Rozita is scheduled to appear in El Paso County District Court for a pre-trial conference Friday

http://www.sltrib.com/contents/ci_9439383

CLibertarian
06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/contents/ci_9439383

Good. It's about time they start prosecuting those spineless anonymous reporters--especially the ones with a history of such things.