PDA

View Full Version : EPA: Urinal Must Flush Using a Half Gallon of Water or Less.

megimoo
10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
EPA Sets WaterSense Standard for First Commercial Building Product

WASHINGTON, DC — The Environmental Protection Agency has set its first WaterSense specification for a commercial building product -- a water-efficient urinal that's to use only half as much H2O as a standard fixture.

The current federal standard for the maximum allowable flush volume for a urinal is a gallon per flush, so fixtures eligible for a WaterSense label (shown below) must flush using a half gallon of water or less.

The EPA estimates that any urinal qualifying for a WaterSense label will save about 4,000 gallons of water a year.

The agency also estimates that a college of 10,000 students would save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized pool, if the campus installed WaterSense urinals in its men's rooms.

Despite the federal standard that caps flush volume at a gallon per flush, as many as 7.8 million urinals in the U.S. are older, water-guzzling models, according to the EPA.

High-efficiency urinals that use half gallon of water or less to flush are already on the market -- they include models by American Standard, which has a half-gallon flusher as well as a urinal that flushes with just a pint of water; Sloan, which also makes high-performance urinals using a pint of water per flush; Zurn, whose EcoVantage line ranges from the "Full Stall Pint" and the "Retrofit Pint" and to the "Nano Pint;" and Kohler and Toto, which have models that flush using no more than a half-gallon of water.

http://www.greenerbuildings.com/print/28204

patriot45
10-21-2009, 01:44 AM
I do my job.....Half the times I forget to flush pee! :D

When I was a kid and we had cesspools, It was ingrained.... If its yellow, let it mellow. If its brown, flush it down! :D

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Lets see an average piss aprox 12 ounce, half gallon water 64 ounce. Their should be a scale in front of the urinal to measure how much fluid has left you so that the urinal is flushed at a constant 3 to 16 ratio every time you piss to make it fair.

patriot45
10-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Lets see an average piss aprox 12 ounce, half gallon water 64 ounce. Their should be a scale in front of the urinal to measure how much fluid has left you so that the urinal is flushed at a constant 3 to 16 ratio every time you piss to make it fair.

Whoa! Thats math isn't it! You dog, you are smart! :D

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Whoa! Thats math isn't it! You dog, you are smart! :D

That would depend on what I was applying it to!:D

megimoo
10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Why not redesign the things to process and filter out the waste products down into solids and use catalytic membranes to filter out and convert the urine into pure water much the same way they do on the space station .

The Japanese are far advanced in toilette technology and hygiene .
I've always wondered why a combination Toilette/Bidet hasn't been designed for home/private use ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan
http://www.meatleg.com/toiletsH/
http://whatjapanthinks.com/2007/04/17/what-japanese-want-from-their-public-toilets/
Japan makes the most advanced, remarkable toilets in the world. Japanese toilets can, variously, check your blood pressure, play you music, wash and dry your anus and 'front parts' by means of an in-toilet nozzle that sprays water and warm air, suck smelly ions from the atmosphere, switch on a light for you as you stumble into the bathroom at night, put the seat lid down for you (a function known as the 'marriage-saver') and flush away your excreta without requiring anything as old-fashioned as a tank. These devices are known as high-function toilets, but even the lowliest high-function toilet will have as standard an in-built bidet system, a heated seat and some form of nifty control panel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358291/Japans-hi-tech-toilets.html

MrsSmith
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
We currently have a low-flush toilet. What that means is that if you want the paper to go away, you flush twice. If you want something more solid to go away, you flush twice, let the tank fill, and flush twice again. By my figures, we use almost twice as much water as we used to... :eek: :mad:

Bubba Dawg
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I live in the woods and frequently piss in the yard.

megimoo
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I live in the woods and frequently piss in the yard.Watch out for deer ticks in the bushes !

lacarnut
10-21-2009, 09:20 PM
When visiting my Aunt and gramps as a kid, no flushing with #1 till the end of the day. #2 ok. They had a well. Every-time my brother and I came out of the bathroom, we were asked did you flush and did you wash your hands.

lacarnut
10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Watch out for deer ticks in the bushes !

Poison ivy is no fun either.

stsinner
10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
We went to Chili's today for lunch, and my wife said that the toilets were weird.. There was a sign by the handle that said something to the effect of, "If it's solid, pull up, if it's liquid, push down.." Two different kinds of flushes... Odd..

Those high-pressure toilets are nice and blast any amount of stuff away, but I've heard they can explode...

I like the British saying, "If it's yellow, let it mellow-if it's brown, flush it down.."

Bubba Dawg
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Ticks and Bubba have a LONG History.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and caught it on my very own Mountain.

I'm more scared of ticks than I am of alligators and snakes. :eek:

PoliCon
10-21-2009, 10:58 PM

I always hold down the lever for a count of 10. >:^} I want at least 3 gallons for my 12 ounces.

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Ticks and Bubba have a LONG History.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and caught it on my very own Mountain.

I'm more scared of ticks than I am of alligators and snakes. :eek:

I ran over a four foot rattlesnake yesterday. I was mowing the shoulders on Leonard mountain and was coming down the hill at the end of the day. He was crossing the road in front of me and I thought he was a rat snake then he coiled up to strike and I saw his rattle . He struck at the tire and I ran over him with both wheels. Amazingly enough he crawled of the road and I couldn't find him. I'm sure he was cussing me last night.

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I always hold down the lever for a count of 10. >:^} I want at least 3 gallons for my 12 ounces.

When I go to walmart I like to make all the electric eye sinks run at once. Take that tree huggers!:cool:

PoliCon
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
When I go to walmart I like to make all the electric eye sinks run at once. Take that tree huggers!:cool:

HIGH FIVE!

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 11:09 PM
You can increase the capacity of 1 gallon flush toilets by extending the drain overflow tube with a piece of pvc pipe. Adjust the float so that the water is just below the flush handle hole. I did mine that way and they will tackle even the most stubborn floaters!

Rockntractor
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/toilet-on-the-wall-demotivational-p.jpg?t=1256179871

Bubba Dawg
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM

I got Rocky Mountain spotted fever right here on the Mountain. 8 days in the hospital.

I didn't have a tick on any of my letissables, though. :eek:

megimoo
10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
You can increase the capacity of 1 gallon flush toilets by extending the drain overflow tube with a piece of pvc pipe. Adjust the float so that the water is just below the flush handle hole. I did mine that way and they will tackle even the most stubborn floaters!Can you still put the tank cover on ?

Rockntractor
10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Can you still put the tank cover on ?

Yes. The tanks only fill half way now. They have a short overflow tube. You extend the overflow tube to just under the level of the hole in the tank for the flush handle and then adjust the water level to just under the top of the overflow tube. It gives you a half gallon to a gallon more water per flush.

lacarnut
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM

You are a trouble maker:):):)

Rockntractor
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
You are a trouble maker:):):)

This is only practice:D!