PDA

View Full Version : Obama Decleares H1N1'National Emergency'

GrumpyOldLady
10-24-2009, 11:57 AM
News Here (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/24/obama-declares-hn-flu-national-emergency/)

President Obama signed a proclamation declaring the H1N1 influenza a national emergency, giving doctors and medical facilities greater leeway in responding to the flu pandemic.

Obama signed the declaration late Friday, which the White House said allows medical treatment facilities to better handle a surge in flu patients by waiving federal requirements on a case-by-case basis.

"The foundation of our national approach to the H1N1 flu has been preparedness at all levels -- personal, business, and government -- and this proclamation helps that effort by advancing our overall response capability," the White House said in a statement.

The flu has infected millions of Americans and killed nearly 100 children in the U.S. The chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that over a thousand people have died as a result, with 46 states reporting widespread H1N1 activity.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree this is a National Emergency. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Our daughter is sick with 'a flu'. Doctor says it's probably the swine flu.

PoliCon
10-24-2009, 12:00 PM
News Here (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/24/obama-declares-hn-flu-national-emergency/)

I agree this is a National Emergency. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Our daughter is sick with 'a flu'. Doctor says it's probably the swine flu.

Now this is were we're supposed to shout that Obama did this in his grab for power!!!111!!!!11!1!!11!!! Isn't that what they would have said on DU during the Bush presidency?

GrumpyOldLady
10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
He may take advantage of the situation for his own nafarious plans. I wouldn't doubt that. BUT ... it is a national emergency. And when the kiddies all swap germs while trick or treating, it'll be worse. And then when people decide that they just HAVE to be with other people for Thanksgiving .. the crap will hit the fan. I have never understood the massive desire most Americans have to travel and be with family on Thanksgiving. But I'm kind of anti-social that way I guess.

PoliCon
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
He may take advantage of the situation for his own nafarious plans. I wouldn't doubt that. BUT ... it is a national emergency. And when the kiddies all swap germs while trick or treating, it'll be worse. And then when people decide that they just HAVE to be with other people for Thanksgiving .. the crap will hit the fan. I have never understood the massive desire most Americans have to travel and be with family on Thanksgiving. But I'm kind of anti-social that way I guess.

We're traveling to be with friend. Family get the other holidays - Thanksgiving we save for friends :). ANYHOW - I refuse to be cowed by this. We've had 1/4 of our kids out and and almost that many staff. I've yet to get it. The scary thing is that it's all the younger staff who are getting knocked down by this - none of the oldsters have been affected at all. I think it's a conspiracy and H1N1 was manufactured by AARP!

GrumpyOldLady
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Since it was brought up.

ofifcial gov't document on what powers the POTUS has during a National Emergency (http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/6216.pdf)

Gingersnap
10-24-2009, 12:43 PM
In completely normal times the vast majority of people who believe they have influenza are wrong. There are dozens of infectious agents that can cause fever, muscle pains, lethargy, and other "flu-like" symptoms. Physicians are just slapping a label on this current collection of symptoms because people want to be told something and the treatment for all these infections is identical anyway: rest, fluids, OTC medications for aches.

Without a test, you cannot know if you or a family member has the latest swine flu - or any kind of flu at all.

Rather than labeling this as the swine flu, people should calm down. Unless the victim is running a very high fever (in adults), hallucinating, unable to take fluids, or is so short of breath that talking is impaired there is no reason to seek medical attention and no reason to believe it's this new flu. Even if it is, so what? The strains in this flu have been seen before and most people over 50 have already been exposed to most of them. The survival rate is therefore pretty much identical to the survival rate for all previous forms of flu after WWI.

This is not the pale horse of the Apocalypse.

hampshirebrit
10-24-2009, 12:59 PM
This is not the pale horse of the Apocalypse.

Spoilsport. :D

Rockntractor
10-24-2009, 01:25 PM
We're traveling to be with friend. Family get the other holidays - Thanksgiving we save for friends :). ANYHOW - I refuse to be cowed by this. We've had 1/4 of our kids out and and almost that many staff. I've yet to get it. The scary thing is that it's all the younger staff who are getting knocked down by this - none of the oldsters have been affected at all. I think it's a conspiracy and H1N1 was manufactured by AARP!

Aren't you like 29 years old or something?:rolleyes:

PoliCon
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Aren't you like 29 years old or something?:rolleyes:

Yes.

RobJohnson
10-24-2009, 03:39 PM

They are calling it a young person's flu. :)

This declaration was made right after Nevada & other states ran out of the vaccine!

lacarnut
10-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Now this is were we're supposed to shout that Obama did this in his grab for power!!!111!!!!11!1!!11!!! Isn't that what they would have said on DU during the Bush presidency?

Google--Swine Flu infections--BTW, I am very suspicious of anything that comes out of the mouth of Obama and this administration. They Lie.

SarasotaRepub
10-24-2009, 04:17 PM
They are calling it a young person's flu. :)

This declaration was made right after Nevada & other states ran out of the vaccine!

Good! About time you whippersnappers got something and left us
old farts alone...:p:D

Friggen "National Emergency" give me a break.

PoliCon
10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Google--Swine Flu infections--BTW, I am very suspicious of anything that comes out of the mouth of Obama and this administration. They Lie.

i don't blame you for being suspicious. I am as well. But I'm not willing to credit them with excessive intelligence.

SarasotaRepub
10-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I just turned on the SyFy channel and they're running a movie
called "Flu Bird Horror"!!!!!!!! :eek: Coincidence??? I think not!!!! ;)

GrumpyOldLady
10-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I just turned on the SyFy channel and they're running a movie
called "Flu Bird Horror"!!!!!!!! :eek: Coincidence??? I think not!!!! ;)

Yep .. saw that on the screen last night. My husband and I couldn't believe the timing.