PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Prophet

bijou
10-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Elizabeth Prophet, who has died aged 70, was head of the Summit Lighthouse and the Church Universal and Triumphant, a New Age religious cult which she enjoined to prepare for nuclear Armageddon. She took over the leadership in 1973 on the death of her husband, Mark Prophet, who had founded the Summit Lighthouse in 1958 to spread a message which combined elements of Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Theosophy.
In 1975 she established the Church Universal and Triumphant, a formal religion with ceremonies and sacraments, extending the work of the Lighthouse. The teachings were derived from divine messages supposedly transmitted by the Ascended Masters, a pantheon of heavenly beings ranging from Buddha and Jesus Christ to the "head of the Cosmic Secret Service". Worldwide membership was once estimated at between 30,000 and 50,000 people, who revered Elizabeth Prophet as a spiritual leader with a direct link to God. ... link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/religion-obituaries/6417918/Elizabeth-Prophet.html)

So she didn't live to see TEOTW after all.

Rockntractor
10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
As far as she is concerned it ended!

bijou
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
As far as she is concerned it ended!

But the poor woman was robbed of a nuclear armageddon after waiting all those years. Those Ascended Masters are so flaky.

Bubba Dawg
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Cosmic Secret Service....I want a badge.

noonwitch
10-26-2009, 07:48 AM
I recently read a book about her, written by her daughter. It was a good read, she was very honest about her own involvement with the CUT and her relationship with her mother. She even talked about how they all went in to their bunkers when her mother predicted the world was going to end.

Luckily for the CUT, they weren't totally insane and never got in any kind of standoff with authorities.

GrumpyOldLady
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
She was one mixed up woman.
(or incredibly brilliant in an evil, money making, way)

glenfoxman
11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I have just read that this boards very own Penny Wilson and Greg King are working on a biography of GD Ernest of Hesse. Im sure that they will include the sunshine of his life, Elizabeth.