PDA

View Full Version : Hennepin County Seeks Stimulus to Fight Fat (porkulus for welfare fatties)

megimoo
10-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Hennepin County seeks stimulus dough to fight fat (MN hogs porkulus for welfare fatties)

Hennepin County has been highly successful in winning federal stimulus money, receiving $40 million for a dozen projects such as rebuilding the Lowry Avenue Bridge, adding crime lab scientists to process DNA and retraining laid-off workers for new jobs.

Now the county is hoping for federal money to stem the tide of burger joints and to subsidize bike helmets and sneakers for commuters. :rolleyes:

As part of its campaign to fight obesity, the board last week directed staffers to seek $10 million in stimulus money from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to improve nutrition and encourage biking...

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/65911222.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

noonwitch
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
They need to find a way to make fresh produce cheaper. Poor people can't afford it, and this many generations in, don't always know how to prepare it. They end up eating all that processed crap, which makes them fatter than the rest of us.

Encouraging vegetable gardens in big cities is a big step. Neighborhood organizations and churches could help, and offer cooking classes for people who don't know how to prepare fresh foods for their families. Also, how many urban people know how to can veggies and home-made sauces and jellies and such? I don't know how, and I'm a pretty good cook. There are old people around Detroit who don't have a lot of money, but they always have plenty of food because they can grow and prepare their own veggies.

linda22003
10-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I know how to can and "put things up" but I don't do it because it's a time-consuming pain in the ass. The initial outlay for jars, rings, and lids can be pretty steep, too.

Gingersnap
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Buying bike shoes and helmets is a truly pointless gesture. Porkers don't bike because a.)they have better things to do, b.) bike saddles are painful to porkers, and c.) rigging a commuter bike is no small job.

Instead of fiddling with bikes, the government would be better off tracking food stamp purchase and penalizing the purchase of prepared processed foods. You buy raw meat, veggies, condiments, and dairy products and then you get X amount of buying power. You buy TV dinners, Doritos, soda, and candy and your buying power is reduced to Y.

JackKetch
10-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Buying bike shoes and helmets is a truly pointless gesture. Porkers don't bike because a.)they have better things to do, b.) bike saddles are painful to porkers, and c.) rigging a commuter bike is no small job.

Instead of fiddling with bikes, the government would be better off tracking food stamp purchase and penalizing the purchase of prepared processed foods. You buy raw meat, veggies, condiments, and dairy products and then you get X amount of buying power. You buy TV dinners, Doritos, soda, and candy and your buying power is reduced to Y.

i don't think food stamps can be used for junk food. could be that's just in my state but it seems like there'd be federal regs. bikes could be good for obese kids, maybe not for adults as you said.