PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up For The Rockies.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Western U.S. Weather Forecast

A storm system organizing in the West today will bring heavy snow to many areas in the Rockies.

Winds will strengthen throughout the day and into the overnight hours tonight as an area of low pressure at the surface strengthens.

While much of the region should see rain and/or snow, the Southwest should stay dry.

Strong winds, along with the low humidity, will lead to a high fire danger as well as blowing dust throughout much of the Southwest.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2coge8j.jpg

Rain and snow will spill into the High Plains tonight and tomorrow, with heavy snow possible in the Colorado and Wyoming Rockies.

Gusty winds will continue over much of the region as well, but begin to subside in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California.

Snow will begin to taper off on Thursday, but a new system will move into the Northwest late week with the Northwest staying unsettled through the weekend.

This is beginning to look unamusing.

Weather (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/region-west-weather-forecast_2009-10-09?from=hp_news&anchor=)

Rockntractor
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I am sure there will be at least one group of idiots that goes hiking!

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I am sure there will be at least one group of idiots that goes hiking!

Skiing. They'll try to ski or board the powder out of bounds. It's too early in the season for that stuff but somebody will absolutely try. The other problem would be the tourists going over the Divide. They're gonna need chains and they won't have them.

Rockntractor
10-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Skiing. They'll try to ski or board the powder out of bounds. It's too early in the season for that stuff but somebody will absolutely try. The other problem would be the tourists going over the Divide. They're gonna need chains and they won't have them.
I stay away in the winter. My time for the mountains is late august to when the aspens first turn. I grew up in snow in Minnesota and have little desire for more of it.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I stay away in the winter. My time for the mountains is late august to when the aspens first turn. I grew up in snow in Minnesota and have little desire for more of it.

We love our snowbirds but the unprepared tourists are another matter. Nobody can screw up a pass like a Californian in a Camry with bald tires.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, this could gp either way. When I left work the models were in disagreement. Both models are very good but they each have strengths and weaknesses. Scenario A sees the moisture getting sucked into space so there will be some snow and generally low temps but nothing to write home about. Scenario B involves shutting down two thirds of state by tomorrow afternoon. :D

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I think we might be screwed. NOAA is saying that we're going to feel the effects of an upper level trough plus a cold front is jacking down from Wyoming. :(

This is exactly what we don't want.

lurkalot
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
We started getting it yesterday. So far not too much snow, but bitter cold and the winds are horrible!!! What little powder we do have is twirling around like a bad Wizard of Oz remake tornado scene! Actually quite amusing as I was coming home and saw a couple bicyclists trying to get through it (after all, it's Nevada, so it must be hot and dry right?).
Wonder if one of them was Bubba?:eek:

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 10:04 PM
We started getting it yesterday. So far not too much snow, but bitter cold and the winds are horrible!!! What little powder we do have is twirling around like a bad Wizard of Oz remake tornado scene! Actually quite amusing as I was coming home and saw a couple bicyclists trying to get through it (after all, it's Nevada, so it must be hot and dry right?).

It's snowing now (not unexpected where I live) but it's also snowing in Denver which is much, much earlier than predicted. This snow is pretty real, too. We had some locally high winds and expect to have more tomorrow but they haven't been shingle-rippers.

It looks like the system is stalling out which is not good. On the plus side - I did see a pack of bicyclists on the way home shivering in their Spandex.

Rockntractor
10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
It's snowing now (not unexpected where I live) but it's also snowing in Denver which is much, much earlier than predicted. This snow is pretty real, too. We had some locally high winds and expect to have more tomorrow but they haven't been shingle-rippers.

It looks like the system is stalling out which is not good. On the plus side - I did see a pack of bicyclists on the way home shivering in their Spandex.
I'm sure when it gets done burying you with snow it will head here and rain some more on our already saturated ground.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm sure when it gets done burying you with snow it will head here and rain some more on our already saturated ground.

Actually, I did something I've never done before - I checked out the 'cast for Tulsa. You're clear and dry for the next handful of days. :D

Rockntractor
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Actually, I did something I've never done before - I checked out the 'cast for Tulsa. You're clear and dry for the next handful of days. :D
Thank God for that all of this above average rain is hard on my finances!:)

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Thank God for that all of this above average rain is hard on my finances!:)

I'm not an accountant. Or a theologian. :D

Gingersnap
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
It's been interesting out here. We a bad bunch of cases of the fabled "white flu" at work. People are hitting the slopes like they are going to make it illegal next month.

I did my thing and left early today. The plows are doing okay but it will be crummy tomorrow.

Rockntractor
10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
It is starting to rain and there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow.:mad:

Gingersnap
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
It is starting to rain and there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow.:mad:

You guys are going to some precip out of the fringes of this - no doubt. On the plus side, you aren't in a persistent drought anymore. :D

Rockntractor
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
You guys are going to some precip out of the fringes of this - no doubt. On the plus side, you aren't in a persistent drought anymore. :D
We never had drought where I am. We are 12" above normal.

Gingersnap
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
We never had drought where I am. We are 12" above normal.

But it's all good for the pigs, right? Work with me here.

Rockntractor
10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
But it's all good for the pigs, right? Work with me here.
Only for the wild ones. We domesticated hogs have to work to bring home food for our bacon!:D

Rockntractor
10-28-2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-240x320-snow/0020.gif

Bubba Dawg
10-28-2009, 07:03 PM

No way. If it's cold....Bubba stays in the CAR.

lurkalot
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
No way. If it's cold....Bubba stays in the CAR.

crap! no point in my rolling down the window to laugh then :mad:

Gingersnap
10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Well! It's already been an interesting morning. I have a little over 20 inches of snow (it's still snowing) and a tree fell on my neighbor's driveway so he's trapped. Also, the power just came on at 6:00 a.m. My BIL has like 30 inches of snow but he lives a little higher up than I do.

However, my superior winter driving skills enabled me to arrive at work only 20 minutes later than usual. It's pretty much dead here, though. Not a lot of people have made it in yet.

AHeneen
10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Well! It's already been an interesting morning. I have a little over 20 inches of snow (it's still snowing) and a tree fell on my neighbor's driveway so he's trapped. Also, the power just came on at 6:00 a.m. My BIL has like 30 inches of snow but he lives a little higher up than I do.

However, my superior winter driving skills enabled me to arrive at work only 20 minutes later than usual. It's pretty much dead here, though. Not a lot of people have made it in yet.

We set yet another record high today...95! I think it's about the 5-6th record high set this month, not to mention several record high lows in the mid-70s! :D :p

Bubba Dawg
10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
crap! no point in my rolling down the window to laugh then :mad:

Not necessarily.

Watching an old fat guy with a bad hip getting in an out of a small car can be entertaining in itself.

Plus....

When I am on a bike, I think people follow me hoping I'll crash. Just the cloud of dust would be awesome. :cool:

SarasotaRepub
10-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Well we didn't get any snow but we did get 5.50 inches of friggen rain
as of today!!! :eek:

djones520
10-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Well we didn't get any snow but we did get 5.50 inches of friggen rain
as of today!!! :eek:

The day before it started, I laid down some grass seed to try to repair some of the yard...

I should really start paying attention to my job before I try that again. :rolleyes: