PDA

View Full Version : 6 People Alarmed By School Sports Logo.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Cross-Like T-Shirt Design at Penn State University Sparks Controversy
Monday, October 26, 2009
By Joshua Rhett Miller

Print ShareThis

http://i37.tinypic.com/2m4f24k.jpg

Officials at Pennsylvania State University say they've received six complaints regarding this year's 'White Out' T-shirt design.

A blue, cross-like design emblazoned on T-shirts at Penn State University has some critics seeing red.

The shirts intended to foster school spirit sport a vertical blue line down the center with the words "Penn State White Out" emblazoned across the chest, forming a design that some say resembles a cross. The back of the shirt depicts the same blue line obscured by the words, "Don't be intimated It's just me and 110,000 of my friends." Roughly 30,000 of the shirts have been sold.

Penn State says it has received six complaints about the shirt, including one from the Anti-Defamation League's Philadelphia branch, from people who say it connotes a Christian cross. The logo design also has become the focus of controversy in the student newspaper, "The Daily Collegian," which has received several letters to the editor on both sides of the issue.

Michal Berns, a junior majoring in media law and policy, said she refused to buy the $15 shirt because of its religious connotations.

"At first glance, you don't necessarily think that's what it looks like, but when you look at it more, it does look like a cross," Berns told Foxnews.com. "That's the reason I didn't purchase it."

Berns said students can purchase the shirts when they buy season tickets for the university's nationally ranked football program or during the football season at the campus bookstore and other stores. The shirts are typically worn at Penn State's annual "White Out" game, at which a crowd of 100,000 screaming Nittany Lions fans creates a virtual sea of white at Beaver Stadium.

While Berns acknowledged the shirt's single blue stripe resembles the stripe on the team's football helmet, she and others at the university's Hillel Jewish organization plan to show their school pride in other ways.

"There always has to be some sort of separation," said Berns, referring to the state-funded school and religious affiliation. "Me personally, I'm not going to buy the shirts and I know others at [Penn State Hillel] who won't, either."

Bill Mahon, vice president for university relations, said six people have contacted Penn State to voice their objections to the shirt's design.

"Six complaints is not a controversy," Mahon wrote Foxnews.com. "Students submit shirt designs to the student paper each year. Students then vote for their favorite design and they are sold in the campus bookstore."

Mahon said the design was based on the single blue stripe on the football team's helmets and will not be pulled from store shelves as some have asked. "The shirts have sold out and no changes are planned," he said.

Stephanie Bennis, a senior at the school, said she created the shirt's design in March with fellow public relations major Emily Sabolsky, and in no way did they intend to create religious overtones. Like Mahon, she said the single blue stripe is a nod to the university's football program.

"That was the entire idea," she said. "And all we thought was normally wording goes right across the chest. That's truly the reason why we did it."

Bennis said she was "very shocked" when she learned the university had received complaints about the design.

"It's just sad to see that in this day and age, the most offensive thing on a shirt can be what people see as a religious symbol," she said.

"Are we going to ban lowercase t's in the alphabet? Where do you draw the line?"

Because nothing says, "turn or burn" to us fundies like a college football logo. :rolleyes:

Fox (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569665,00.html?test=latestnews)

Rebel Yell
10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
"At first glance, you don't necessarily think that's what it looks like, but when you look at it more, it does look like a cross," Berns told Foxnews.com. "That's the reason I didn't purchase it."

In other words, I didn't think it looked like a cross until someone else told me it did.

NJCardFan
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Wait a minute. 6 people are alarmed?

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Yeah, it's practially a national emergency.

stsinner
10-27-2009, 01:33 PM

That's exactly what I thought! What a non-story.

Gingersnap
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
That's exactly what I thought! What a non-story.

But malicious Christian fundies are probably behind it so it's a huge story! :D

linda22003
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM

In Happy Valley? I don't think so. :p

FreeAmerican
10-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I want one!!

linda22003
10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
As the bumper sticker says, "If God isn't a Penn State fan, why is the sky blue and white?" :p

lacarnut
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess we need to get rid of the plus sign on all electronic machines such as computers, ATM, calculators, etc. Looks like a cross to me.:mad: These 6 dipships should be taken behind the woodshed and given a good ass whipping.

PoliCon
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Here's a thought - and I might be way out of line here so let me know if I am . . . . but I was thinking that - if you don't like the shirt . . . .

DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE!

JackKetch
10-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Here's a thought - and I might be way out of line here so let me know if I am . . . . but I was thinking that - if you don't like the shirt . . . .

DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE!

like 'if you don't like abortion, don't have one.' the pro-aborts think that's extremely clever.

wilbur
10-28-2009, 09:43 AM

A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas? Certainly does not seem as if its a story designed to demonize Christians... its only Christians that seem to be reading about it.

One only has to follow the fuming comments following this story all over the right-web to understand why its a "huge story". The pervasive, paranoid myths among Christians of "Christian oppression in a country gone-mad" are built on thousands and thousands of these little non-stories. Each little story, either non-issue, fabrication, or half-truth at best... yet collectively they build a convincing and consistent narrative in the heads of the deluded. A convenient illusion. Its a "huge story" because its a story which reinforces that illusion.

The icing on the cake is, that its generally this group who loves to bemoan those who "play the victim", yet are oblivious to the fact that their talents are unmatched in that particular game.

Gingersnap
10-28-2009, 09:59 AM
A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas?

Well, I know I posted it here because it amused me. If you look at all my posts in this thread, you will be able to detect a large amount of mirth. It also amuses other conservatives which is why it's popular on conservative web sites.

Geez, wilbur - you are one of most humorless people I've met online. Get a freaking grip.

PoliCon
10-28-2009, 10:47 PM
like 'if you don't like abortion, don't have one.' the pro-aborts think that's extremely clever.

oh yea and buying a shirt is definitely equivalent to murdering a baby. . . . . :rolleyes:

Apache
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
100 + wasted words.

Nice swoop & poop...:rolleyes:

Apache
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
"There always has to be some sort of separation," said Berns, referring to the state-funded school and religious affiliation.

Mahon wrote Foxnews.com. "Students submit shirt designs to the student paper each year. Students then vote for their favorite design and they are sold in the campus bookstore."

Looks like another jag-off just waiting to be offended. Whatta crock-o-crap...:rolleyes:

hampshirebrit
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
A quick search reveals this story is posted everywhere on the right/Christian media sites... yet not really anywhere else. Wonder why its such a huge story in this space, but nowhere else save perhaps at Penn Sate? Any ideas? Certainly does not seem as if its a story designed to demonize Christians... its only Christians that seem to be reading about it.

One only has to follow the fuming comments following this story all over the right-web to understand why its a "huge story". The pervasive, paranoid myths among Christians of "Christian oppression in a country gone-mad" are built on thousands and thousands of these little non-stories. Each little story, either non-issue, fabrication, or half-truth at best... yet collectively they build a convincing and consistent narrative in the heads of the deluded. A convenient illusion. Its a "huge story" because its a story which reinforces that illusion.

The icing on the cake is, that its generally this group who loves to bemoan those who "play the victim", yet are oblivious to the fact that their talents are unmatched in that particular game.

I think you might be missing the point. The story states that only six people have objected to the design. "Even" as an atheist, I can see that their objections are more than a bit over the top. The story is far more about PC over-sensitivities on the part of the small number of complainants than it is about the choice of iconography used in the design.

wilbur
10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I think you might be missing the point. The story states that only six people have objected to the design. "Even" as an atheist, I can see that their objections are more than a bit over the top. The story is far more about PC over-sensitivities on the part of the small number of complainants than it is about the choice of iconography used in the design.

My point wasnt really about defending the people complaining about the shirt. I do think its probably nearly impossible to put something in front of a few thousand people, like a shirt design, and not have at least 6 people complain - which makes it seem like an even bigger non-issue. I don't really see anything wrong with the shirt at all and should I meet the complainers in real life, I would probably tell them to get over it. But whats interesting to me is the buzz around the story here, and elsewhere in the Christian right media. Note, that its nowhere else, yet its even re-cast almost as if its a media conspiracy against Christians - even though all the reporting and all the hype seems to be exclusive to the right wing press and the right wing audience.

This is nothing new or unique, but it shows how even such trivial non-issues end up contributing to the paranoia and delusions of persecution in the Christian right wing. Its scary to think just how much this stuff influences the worldviews of some people.

Rockntractor
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Geez, wilbur - you are one of most humorless people I've met online. Get a freaking grip.

Exactly Ginger! This is why I heckle you all the time Wilbur, for being boring as hell ( which of course you don't believe in). It makes little difference to me whether a person is atheist or not you have the emotions of Spock! Everyone will answer to their own conscience some day.