PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Church to Hold Book Burning

GrumpyOldLady
10-31-2009, 08:38 AM
News Here (http://rawstory.com/2009/10/n-c-church-to-burn-satans-books-including-works-of-mother-theresa/)

A Baptist Church near Asheville, N.C., is hosting a "Halloween book burning" to purge the area of "Satan's" works, which include all non-King James versions of the Bible, popular books by many religious authors and even country music.

The website for the Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, N.C., says there are "scriptural bases" for the book burning. The site quotes Acts 19:18-20: "And many that believed, came and confessed and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts, brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed."

Church leaders deem Good News for Modern Man, the Evidence Bible, the New International Version Bible, the Green Bible and the Message Bible, as well as at least seven other versions of the Bible as "Satan's Bibles," according to the website. Attendees will also set fire to "Satan's popular books" such as the work of "heretics" including the Pope, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and Rick Warren.

"I believe the King James version is God's preserved, inspired, inerrant and infallible word of God," Pastor Marc Grizzard told a local news station of his 14-member parish.

:rolleyes: Idiots.

They will be burning "Satan's music" which to them means country music as well as "soft and easy" music. Apparently "Southern Gospel" and" contemporary Christian music is also satanic. And oh that 'heretic' Mother Teresa. How dare she tell people to help the poor and to stop abortion.

Someone should tell 'Pastor' Grizzard that the bible originally was put together by the Catholics around 350 AD and that's what the King James version is based on (and tell him the fact is that King James was a flaming homosexual). That'll really get his blood boiling. :D

Of course this is America and they have a right to be moronic but it's stupidity like this that makes christianity a joke among non-Christians.

Sonnabend
10-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Of course this is America and they have a right to be moronic but it's stupidity like this that makes christianity a joke among non-Christians.

..with one huge difference.

An absence of body bags.:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
10-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Church leaders deem Good News for Modern Man, the Evidence Bible, the New International Version Bible, the Green Bible and the Message Bible, as well as at least seven other versions of the Bible as "Satan's Bibles," according to the website. Attendees will also set fire to "Satan's popular books" such as the work of "heretics" including the Pope, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and Rick Warren.

"I believe the King James version is God's preserved, inspired, inerrant and infallible word of God," Pastor Marc Grizzard told a local news station of his 14-member parish.

Good grief, they will also be burning Bibles in translations they don't like. Well, the only translation they appear to like in the King James Version of the Bible.

They also will be burning Billy Graham books. Jeez.

PoliCon
10-31-2009, 12:36 PM
OY VEY. The small mindedness involved with this reminds me of atheists. :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
There was a church in that area where the pastor excommunicated everyone in the church who didn't vote for John McCain.

They don't actually say excommunicated but call it church discipline or something like that.

I can't remember if that was last election, or maybe the one before. Sounds like the same group, though.

AmPat
10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
There was a church in that area where the pastor excommunicated everyone in the church who didn't vote for John McCain.

They don't actually say excommunicated but call it church discipline or something like that.

I can't remember if that was last election, or maybe the one before. Sounds like the same group, though.

The Church discipline was more likely to be for voting FOR OBlah Blah the Baby Executioner than for NOT voting for Mc Lame.:cool:

FlaGator
10-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Good grief, they will also be burning Bibles in translations they don't like. Well, the only translation they appear to like in the King James Version of the Bible.

They also will be burning Billy Graham books. Jeez.

What is interesting is that the King James version that they are so fond of is not the original King James version. Several "Editions" have been made. The original version is referred to as the KJV 1611 and the edition that is now used is referred to as the 1769 Edition. Another question that comes to mind is do the burn the editions of the King James that contain the Apocrypha?

It has been demonstrated to the King James only crowd that the King James has errors in it. This is based on the discovery of earlier copies of the Gospels and Epistles. The errors are minor but they refuse to believe that it is not the inspired Word of God. However, many theologians believe that the only New Testament writings that can be considered truly inerrant are the original texts in their original language. All copies and translations have the potential of having errors introduced because peopel are fallible. When comparing all they known copies and fragments of the Gospels and Epistles (over 22, 000) there lis lest than a 1 percent difference between them those differences tend to be misspellings.

Bubba Dawg
10-31-2009, 02:17 PM
What is interesting is that the King James version that they are so fond of is not the original King James version. Several "Editions" have been made. The original version is referred to as the KJV 1611 and the edition that is now used is referred to as the 1769 Edition. Another question that comes to mind is do the burn the editions of the King James that contain the Apocrypha?

It has been demonstrated to the King James only crowd that the King James has errors in it. This is based on the discovery of earlier copies of the Gospels and Epistles. The errors are minor but they refuse to believe that it is not the inspired Word of God. However, many theologians believe that the only New Testament writings that can be considered truly inerrant are the original texts in their original language. All copies and translations have the potential of having errors introduced because peopel are fallible. When comparing all they known copies and fragments of the Gospels and Epistles (over 22, 000) there lis lest than a 1 percent difference between them those differences tend to be misspellings.

I know a few of the King James Only crowd. They are pretty hard-shelled. They seem to hold to a notion of a special moving of the Holy Spirit in relation to the translation of the KJV. One I remember additionally related it to the scripture to be used in the preparation of America as a Christian Nation to be used by God as a sort of New Jerusalem or New Israel.

FlaGator
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I know a few of the King James Only crowd. They are pretty hard-shelled. They seem to hold to a notion of a special moving of the Holy Spirit in relation to the translation of the KJV. One I remember additionally related it to the scripture to be used in the preparation of America as a Christian Nation to be used by God as a sort of New Jerusalem or New Israel.

Most baptists are adherents to reformed theology which is a "Jesus and that's it" doctrine and yet they add things like "its only Jesus... and no alcohol" or in this case "its only Jesus and the right Bible." Jesus stated that those who believe in him will follow His commands and Jesus never staid don't drink alcohol or hand any scripture other than the scripture that makes up the Old Testament. Paul taught that anyone who added anything to the Gospel as it was given to him were guilty of teaching a false Gospel. I would like to ask them that in light of what Paul says how can they justify the addition of things that Christ did not teach to their doctrine and call it God's word? I understand that people enjoy the bible that they were brought up on, but one's salvation isn't dependant upon it. A bible doesn't save people, only Christ does that. The bible defines God's plan for reconciling His fallen creation to Hmself and restoring creation to its original unbroken form.

AmPat
10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
These are the types who give Christians a bad name. Backwards type who think they have some special insight into the Bible that was given to them alone by the Holy Spirit. I know some and they have a huge problem with contextual applications. Usually it is a small Church made up of a few memmbers that follow a strong personality pastor.

I wonder if they believe Jesus spoke King James English? When are these types going to convert to Hebrew? :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
10-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Most baptists are adherents to reformed theology which is a "Jesus and that's it" doctrine and yet they add things like "its only Jesus... and no alcohol" or in this case "its only Jesus and the right Bible." Jesus stated that those who believe in him will follow His commands and Jesus never staid don't drink alcohol or hand any scripture other than the scripture that makes up the Old Testament. Paul taught that anyone who added anything to the Gospel as it was given to him were guilty of teaching a false Gospel. I would like to ask them that in light of what Paul says how can they justify the addition of things that Christ did not teach to their doctrine and call it God's word? I understand that people enjoy the bible that they were brought up on, but one's salvation isn't dependant upon it. A bible doesn't save people, only Christ does that. The bible defines God's plan for reconciling His fallen creation to Hmself and restoring creation to its original unbroken form.

The language of the KJV is beautiful. Thing is, some of these people, certainly not all, do not read Hebrew or Greek and do not see that as a disadvantage in interpreting scripture because their KJV is a special in it's own way.

And you are right, they typically add many thou shalt nots that are not supported by scripture.

wilbur
10-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Certainly, these guys just drive the point home... but even the most mainstream essential Christian doctrines are enough...

Crapouillot
10-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Certainly, these guys just drive the point home... but even the most mainstream essential Christian doctrines are enough...

Wilbur, a joke in your mouth is no laughing matter.

Behave. :p

wilbur
10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Wilbur, a joke in your mouth is no laughing matter.

Behave. :p

Just trying to correct a misconception.

FlaGator
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM

That would be possible only when you have corrected all you misconceptions. :p

Crapouillot
10-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Ha! And again I say, Ha!!!

You are certainly able to entertain a doubt, but to everyone else you are BORING. :p:p

Expand your repertoire. You are possessed by one overarching idea, and that is wrong.

Let that Wilbur Hound off the chain.....!!!!!!!!

Let Wilbur be Wilbur......

NJCardFan
11-01-2009, 05:24 AM
I'm a KJV only gut bu that's only because it's what I'm used to. Let's face it folks, there are kooks everywhere. To imply that this is indicative of the whole of Christianity is just as small minded as to say that the Bloods are what is indicative of the whole of the black community.

FlaGator
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm a KJV only gut bu that's only because it's what I'm used to. Let's face it folks, there are kooks everywhere. To imply that this is indicative of the whole of Christianity is just as small minded as to say that the Bloods are what is indicative of the whole of the black community.

I don't think that we are trying to say that it is indicative of all Christianity or even all Baptists. Each denomination has it's on little quirks in belief. I very much enjoy reading the KJV. It is very pleasing to hear, but I read many translations like the NIV (my church bible), English Standard Version, American Standard Version and many more. But what I don't care much for is the conversational or paraphrase bibles. The Living Bible comes to mind. They are good to read, but I wouldn't realy on them for learning sound doctrine. Still, to each his own.

Last Samurai
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Only serves to prove one of my long held contentions..... Fanatics of ANY sort are dangerious! (Including Religious Fanatics.)

LS

noonwitch
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
The language of the KJV is beautiful. Thing is, some of these people, certainly not all, do not read Hebrew or Greek and do not see that as a disadvantage in interpreting scripture because their KJV is a special in it's own way.

And you are right, they typically add many thou shalt nots that are not supported by scripture.

I love the KJV for its language, not necessarily its accuracy. The Psalms in any other version just aren't the same. It's the same language in which Shakespeare wrote.

Jack Chick is seriously pro KJV and against any other translation. All others are corrupted by the catholic church, which is the source of all evil in today's world, according to his thinking. Did you know the Jesuits are responsible for the holocaust? Or that the Virgin Mary is actually the pagan goddess Semiramis?

I use the NRSV for serious study. It's what all the liberal denominations use these days. I have an NIV around from my Young Life days-one of the very early versions from when it was first published. I like Bible studies where everyone has a different version, and we can all compare what each translation says.

AlmostThere
11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
These people are scarier than the jerks running Washington right now. The jerks in Washington are doing it for power. These book burners are simply fanatics and fanatics, from whatever cause, are some scary people.