PDA

View Full Version : NSW town in 'world-first' ban on bottled water

bijou
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
A NSW town has pulled all bottled water from its shelves and replaced it with refillable bottles in what is believed to be a world-first ban.

Hundreds of people marched through the picturesque rural town of Bundanoon to mark the first day of its bottled water ban by unveiling a series of new public drinking fountains, said campaign spokesman John Dee.

Shopkeepers ceremoniously removed the last bottles of water from their shelves and replaced them with reusable bottles that can be filled from fountains inside the town's shops or at water stations in the street.

"Every bottle today was taken off shelf and out of the fridges so you can only now buy refillable bottles in shops in Bundanoon," Dee said.

The tiny town, two hours south of Sydney, voted in July to ban bottled water after a drinks company moved to tap into a local aquifer for its bottled water business. ...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/bundanoon-in-world-first-ban-on-bottled-water/story-e6frg6nf-1225779878437

Gingersnap
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I never jumped on the bottled water bandwagon. First, it's ridiculous to pay for water more than once and second, it's a pain to drag liquids around everywhere.

That whole you-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day thing has been wildly misinterpreted. Sure, if you are fasting and doing ordinary manual labor, you do need that much liquid water a day. However if you are eating and doing an office job, you absolutely don't. The original calculation took water from foods into account. The 8 glasses a day imagery was just a handy way to imagine the amount of water (both in foods and fluids) that most people need.

noonwitch
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I only buy it when I'm travelling, to drink in the car when I'm tired of Diet Coke.

The City of Detroit sells their own brand of bottled water-believe it or not, Detroit does a very good job with producing clean drinking water. They have use this old equipment from the 40s, but it is well-maintained and more reliable than a lot of modern technology. Warren buys their water from Detroit, and it is clear and never has an unpleasant taste like in some big cities (NYC, for example).

Also, because the old equipment was old, there were no worries at all about the whole Y2K thing. Also, it would be pretty tough for terrorists to contaminate it, because there is no one central facility or resevoir.

Sonnabend
11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
The tiny town, two hours south of Sydney, voted in July to ban bottled water after a drinks company moved to tap into a local aquifer for its bottled water business. ...

.,.,.and are now the laughingstock of the entire region.