PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Cat Gets Swine Flu

GrumpyOldLady
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/116473/thumbs/s-CAT-large.jpg

Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/04/iowa-cat-gets-swine-flu-f_n_346397.html)

DES MOINES, Iowa — A 13-year-old Iowa cat has been infected with swine flu, veterinary and federal officials said Wednesday, and it is believed to be the first case of the H1N1 virus in a feline.

The domestic shorthaired cat was treated last week at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames and has recovered, officials said. The virus also has been confirmed in two ferrets – one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska – but they died.

"We've known certainly it's possible this could happen," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman Tom Skinner. "This may be the first instance where we have documentation that transmission occurred involving cats or dogs."

Two weeks ago we asked the vet if dogs and cats could get this. I was told 'no'.
Guess the vet was wrong.

Gingersnap
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't even know what to say. Does my cat have swine flu? Would I even care? :p

linda22003
11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Just another reason to detest the little buggers, as if I needed one.

Gingersnap
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Just another reason to detest the little buggers, as if I needed one.

I like my cat but I really think of her as a combination of mobile decor and vermin eradicator. :D

noonwitch
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I like my cat but I really think of her as a combination of mobile decor and vermin eradicator. :D

I love my cat, but she's nuts. I wouldn't be able to tell if she had swine flu-would it make her throw up? Miranda binges and purges daily when she's in the best of health. Would it make her lazy? She's 13, she's only active when the dog is chasing her.

If I don't get swine flu, my pets probably won't get it. They are indoor pets, and my cat never goes outside without being in a cage. And I'm not all that worred about getting it. I was exposed two weeks ago and didn't get sick. I think I had the swine flu last winter and now I'm immune.

GrumpyOldLady
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Swine flu hits the lungs hard in a lot of people. I imagine it would be the same with the pet.
Thats how you'd tell. Lathargy and lung problems.

AmPat
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Cat Gets Swine Flu You lie down with pigs,,.

bionryslorpor
11-15-2009, 06:31 AM
I didnt hear any swine flu updates this past few days.. maybe the flu is starting to gone down.