SarasotaRepub
11-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I wasn't going to post about this storm till it survived it's encounter
with Nicaragua and Honduras but it has and it looks pretty
healthy to me...

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200911_sat.jpg

Looks like the cloud tops are getting colder and I think this puppy is ramping
up back to a hurricane. The NHC seems to think it'll stay a TS but ya never
know. Looks like it's gonna get stuck in the Gulf next week...

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200911_5day.gif

Assuming it doesn't turn into a major strorm it'll probably bring some much
needed rain to the state of Florida...before it turns into a CAT 5 monster
and destroys Tampa. :p:D

djones520
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM
It is a bit late in the season. Water temps in the Gulf may have started cooling down. I don't have my normal tools with me, so I can check.

SarasotaRepub
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
The last I read there was a Hunter plane on the way in to check it out.

djones520
11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
The last I read there was a Hunter plane on the way in to check it out.

I'd kill to do that job. But it's a Reserve position, so me being Active Duty screws me.

SarasotaRepub
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I'd kill to do that job. But it's a Reserve position, so me being Active Duty screws me.

That would be a killer job. :)

My folks friends are starting a Western Carrib cruise today, leaving out
of Ft. Lauderdale. They were supposed to be heading for the
Cayman Islands...

SarasotaRepub
11-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Yep, she made to hurricane strength once again. It's a good thing
it's November and the Gulf has cooled or this one might have
been real bad news.

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I just hope it doesn't turn into a slow mover and dump heavy sustained rains on areas that have already been having flooding in the last month or so.

Looks like it will hit east of New Orleans and will go south of Atlanta (which had flooding a couple of months ago).

lacarnut
11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Looks like I am going to be in the middle of the hurricane. I am at a condo at Orange Beach AL which is on the border of FL. Winds have been gusting up to 20mph the last 2 days. Not too concerned about the winds as I am on the 3rd floor and this condo has withstood a couple of bad hurricanes. Flooding my low slung sports car may be a problem.

SarasotaRepub
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like I am going to be in the middle of the hurricane. I am at a condo at Orange Beach AL which is on the border of FL. Winds have been gusting up to 20mph the last 2 days. Not too concerned about the winds as I am on the 3rd floor and this condo has withstood a couple of bad hurricanes. Flooding my low slung sports car may be a problem.

Can you move the car to higher ground? Tidal flooding could certainly be a
problem unless the track shifts again.

Zathras
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Being in California I'd never thought I have to worry about a hurricane but my two best friends left for Orlando this morning for a week at Disneyworld. I'll be watching this one for sure.

lacarnut
11-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Can you move the car to higher ground? Tidal flooding could certainly be a
problem unless the track shifts again.

Nope. Spoke to the manager of the condo and he said the parking lot did not flood during hurricane Ivan. Going to gas up my car and get a few items at the groc. store. If this storm shuts down the oil rigs in the Gulf, there may be shortages. People that live in coastal states in the gulf may want to gas up also.

SarasotaRepub
11-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Nope. Spoke to the manager of the condo and he said the parking lot did not flood during hurricane Ivan. Going to gas up my car and get a few items at the groc. store. If this storm shuts down the oil rigs in the Gulf, there may be shortages. People that live in coastal states in the gulf may want to gas up also.

Sucker is still getting stronger...105 now. I believe they expect it to start losing power sometime tomorrow when it get over cooler water. More than likely you'll just have lots of rain and TS force winds.

It's a compact storm, they said the winds in Cancun were only blowing at 15mph and the storm was 60 miles east of the resort. Looks like rain bands are moving into the Tampa area now.

lacarnut
11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Sucker is still getting stronger...105 now. I believe they expect it to start losing power sometime tomorrow when it get over cooler water. More than likely you'll just have lots of rain and TS force winds.

It's a compact storm, they said the winds in Cancun were only blowing at 15mph and the storm was 60 miles east of the resort. Looks like rain bands are moving into the Tampa area now.

If my car floats away, Iwill just get a new one. Yea. I have good insurance. Looks like the eye is headed for Mobile AL which is about 20 miles from me as the crow flies.

Bought a flashlight, candles and food. Have done this routine many times.

SarasotaRepub
11-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Storm foward speeding is up and doesn't look so bad now, it's barely a cane.

FlaGator
11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Ok... It' just a hurricane. For a bit there I thought that IdaBriggs was on her way to Florida.

lacarnut
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Pulled the beach funiture inside the condo. The $3 flashlight I bought from the dollar store is a POS and barely works. Winds are around 30mph. There was no need to run the red flag up the flagpole. Anyone that goes swimming in this surf is nuts.

Bubba Dawg
11-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Pulled the beach funiture inside the condo. The $3 flashlight I bought from the dollar store is a POS and barely works. Winds are around 30mph. There was no need to run the red flag up the flagpole. Anyone that goes swimming in this surf is nuts.

You spent three whole dollars and it doesn't work well?

You wuz robbed!!!:D

You take care down there, you.

Bubba Dawg
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Hey, they just had the mayor of Orange Beach on the Weather Channel.

lacarnut
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, they just had the mayor of Orange Beach on the Weather Channel.

If winds get over 45mph, he will close the elevated bridge. Does not look like the storm will be too bad. Hoping I do not lose electricity but am prepared. At least the temp will be on the cool side rather than the typical 95 degrees.

Rockntractor
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
If winds get over 45mph, he will close the elevated bridge. Does not look like the storm will be too bad. Hoping I do not lose electricity but am prepared. At least the temp will be on the cool side rather than the typical 95 degrees.

Do you have sufficient quantities of whiskey?

lacarnut
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM

After I drank enough to float a battleship, I decided to quit a number of years ago. Have plenty of milk and cold drinks though.

Bubba Dawg
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Can you possibly explain this curious concept of sufficient quantities of whisky of which you speak?

I can't visualize sufficiency of whisky or enough whisky.

These notions are strange to me. :confused:

Rockntractor
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
After I drank enough to float a battleship, I decided to quit a number of years ago. Have plenty of milk and cold drinks though.
It would appear we are in the same ship!:D

lacarnut
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
The storm is long gone. Winds did not get over 45 mph. The high surf was fun to watch. Sun is popping in and out and the weather is supposed to be great the rest of the week with Plenty of sunshine and temps in the mid 70's.

Beefeater
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks like "hurricane" Ida has gone as limp as AlGores dick! The MOONBATS are in mourning again.

How's that global warming B.S. going for ya?

lacarnut
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Looks like "hurricane" Ida has gone as limp as AlGores dick! The MOONBATS are in mourning again.

How's that global warming B.S. going for ya?

This October was cooler in comparison to the last previous ones. Al Bore is an idiot. It is a close race between him and Biden.

SarasotaRepub
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
You need to get a digital camera...I wanted pics! :mad::D

Bubba Dawg
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Two and a half inches of rain so far on the Mountain at about 7:30 pm today (Tuesday).