PDA

View Full Version : AZ supermarket pussies to go on strike tomorrow

BadCat
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Employees of Arizona Safeway and Fry's supermarkets are set to go on strike tomorrow.

The spoiled little UNION pukes complaint is that their employers want them to contribute SOMETHING to their health insurance costs. Currently they get it all FREE.

Fuck these spoiled union asswipes. They make around $20 an hour with free medical for running a fucking SCANNING machine.

I know plenty of people who would just love to have a job like that, but these union shitheads are just too much.

I hope Safeway and Fry's fires everyone of their worthless asses and hires some people who would really like to have a job.

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Employees of Arizona Safeway and Fry's supermarkets are set to go on strike tomorrow.

The spoiled little UNION pukes complaint is that their employers want them to contribute SOMETHING to their health insurance costs. Currently they get it all FREE.

Fuck these spoiled union asswipes. They make around $20 an hour with free medical for running a fucking SCANNING machine.

I know plenty of people who would just love to have a job like that, but these union shitheads are just too much.

I hope Safeway and Fry's fires everyone of their worthless asses and hires some people who would really like to have a job.

HOLY HELL! $20 an hour??? They make minimum here - and they've replaced most of the cashiers with self checkouts anyway.

BadCat
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
HOLY HELL! $20 an hour??? They make minimum here - and they've replaced most of the cashiers with self checkouts anyway.

Some of the more senior ones make close to $30.

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Do you guys have self checkouts?

linda22003
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I detest self-checkouts.

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I detest self-checkouts.

I'd like them better if there was a MUTE button.

FlaGator
11-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I detest self-checkouts.

I love them when I've only got a few items. Its because of those that detest them so convenient. While your standing in line and your ice creme is melting, I'm on my way home.

The down side is that the chance to encounter a liberal who will tell me what a evil repuke I am for buying certain, non-liberal approved, food items while he or she exchanges a knowing smile with the cashier is greatly reduced, but how often does DU really need to have a story posted about me?

linda22003
11-12-2009, 11:20 AM
The down side is that the chance to encounter a liberal who will tell me what a evil repuke I am for buying certain, non-liberal approved, food items while he or she exchanges a knowing smile with the cashier is greatly reduced, but how often does DU really need to have a story posted about me?

Sounds a little bouncy to me. I've never had anyone say "boo" to me about the things I buy, nor have I ever witnessed it happen to anyone else.

noonwitch
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM

That's why a lot of grocery store chains in Michigan have gone out of business and Meijer and Walmart are taking over.

Meijer is unionized, but their employees don't make $20 an hour to run a cash register-managers and buyers might start out at around those wages, but they are usually college-degreed and non-union employees, anyways. They make above minimum wage and have good benefits, but it's appropriate wages for the retail field.

lacarnut
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Many years ago Kroger had a store here; union employees went on strike. The company closed up shop and never re-opened. One reason Louisiana is in prettty good financial shape is that they passed right to work laws and unemployment is around 7per cent..

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
That's why a lot of grocery store chains in Michigan have gone out of business and Meijer and Walmart are taking over.

Meijer is unionized, but their employees don't make $20 an hour to run a cash register-managers and buyers might start out at around those wages, but they are usually college-degreed and non-union employees, anyways. They make above minimum wage and have good benefits, but it's appropriate wages for the retail field.

We have a couple of strong local chains here - but they broke the unions back in the 80s. The one - Giant Eagle only exists today because they broke the union. They were on the verge of going out of business having lost a ton of stores and most of their market share. Now - they dominate the market. They've gone from nearly dead to the largest grocer in the region - they have their own line of gas stations and convenience stores - and even opened a new chain that is their answer to whole foods and stores like that.

linda22003
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
We have a couple of strong local chains here - but they broke the unions back in the 80s. The one - Giant Eagle only exists today because they broke the union.

Don't you mean Jihn Iggle? :p

Gingersnap
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Some time ago employees from both Safeway and King Soopers (Krogers) went on strike simultaneously. At that time I didn't want to cross the picket lines because of some relatives so I ended up shopping elsewhere.

I still shop elsewhere for 90% of the stuff I buy. That's the problem with strikes today, unless you have a closed system, they just change consumer preferences for the few consumers who even notice.

They are looking to go into strike mode again here shortly but it will have zero effect on me.

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Some time ago employees from both Safeway and King Soopers (Krogers) went on strike simultaneously. At that time I didn't want to cross the picket lines because of some relatives so I ended up shopping elsewhere.

I still shop elsewhere for 90% of the stuff I buy. That's the problem with strikes today, unless you have a closed system, they just change consumer preferences for the few consumers who even notice.

They are looking to go into strike mode again here shortly but it will have zero effect on me.

I'm afraid that I'd be going out of my way today to cross that picket line and shop.

BadCat
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm afraid that I'd be going out of my way today to cross that picket line and shop.

As will I, tomorrow.

Speedy
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Twice, I have worked for or seen companies fire everybody except for managers and administrative staff. One was and well servicing company that had some union people show up. Everybody that was not out in the field or off that day was fired whether they talked to the union representatives or not.

The other was a slaughterhouse, meat packing company that had put out the work all employees that if anyone missed work so they could go out and protest for "immigrant rights" a few years ago, everyone would be fired. The foreman who called the meeting had with him a stack of job applications that had been put in the previous couple of weeks. About four employees called his bluff and got everyone fired.

Back when I had my business, I would have done the same thing.

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 02:49 PM
As will I, tomorrow.

I am so completely shocked that you would do that! ;)

BadCat
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I am so completely shocked that you would do that! ;)

I went there for coffee at lunch today. Talked to one of the ladies about it.

Get this...the "increased cost of medical insurance" payments by employees only applies to NEW HIRES.

It doesn't even effect those who currently work there.

JB
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm afraid that I'd be going out of my way today to cross that picket line and shop.I would cross the line at "The PMS store". :D

PoliCon
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I would cross the line at "The PMS store". :D

well played :)

JB
11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
well played :)You'd think I said that because I go out of my way to cross every picket line I see. However, in this case it's only because jendf works behind the counter.