PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama demands exit strategy in Afghanistan

megimoo
11-13-2009, 10:03 AM
"Ready to Run"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr102My19TU

President Barack Obama has demanded the inclusion of an exit plan in the new US strategy for Afghanistan. White House officials said that in a meeting with Pentagon chiefs Mr Obama had made clear he wants his decision on troop reinforcements to offer a strong suggestion of when and how responsibility for security would be turned over to the Afghans.

After two months of discussions with his advisers he rejected all four options they had touted on the number of troops to be sent, in a surprise move that risked provoking further allegations of “dithering”.

While he is still expected to announce that he is sending reinforcements, Mr Obama insisted that a broad framework for handing over control of security to the Afghan army is written in, as he sought to warn Afghan leaders - and reassure the US public - that the mission is not "open-ended".

Robert Gibbs, the White House spokesman, said on board Air Force One, said: “The president believes that we have been there for eight years, and we're not going to be there forever. And it's important to fully examine not just how we're going to get folks in but how we're going to get folks out.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6556191/Barack-Obama-demands-exit-strategy-in-Afghanistan.html

PoliCon
11-13-2009, 11:15 AM
people still listen to the dixie chicks?

FlaGator
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Any bets that Obama's exit strategy will be something other than "See ya"?

GrumpyOldLady
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
He's been in office 11 months and he's just now talking about having an exit strategy?
This guy knows nothing about the military or war.
He's a nobody street hustler from Chicago.
It's awful that he thinks he knows war better than our generals on the ground over there.
It's disgusting in fact.

expat-pattaya
11-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Personally, I think he has been dragging his feet on Afghanistan. Either we have a military/political objective there or we don't.

If we do - make the strategy known to the generals and provide the resources to accomplish it. Simple - CIC defines the job and puts the people in place to do the job.

If we don't have a strong reason to be there - get the hell out. Personally I like this choice. I don't see why we need to stay there. There is ZERO American interest there. So long as the government there continues to tie down the Taliban and freeze any terrorist training who gives a damn what happens there?

Well, OK as a human I care. Just not enough the put US troops in the line of the oncoming civil war.

PoliCon
11-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I am not interested in another show of weakness.

Nubs
11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
If we don't have a strong reason to be there - get the hell out. Personally I like this choice. I don't see why we need to stay there. There is ZERO American interest there. So long as the government there continues to tie down the Taliban and freeze any terrorist training who gives a damn what happens there?

I believe we have an even stronger reason to be there. It is because of what is on the left and the right. With Iran up to shenanigans and Pakistan going to hell in a handbasket, it may be a good thing to be prepositioned.

Better Song: Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Snehl2bAk)

samurai
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Personally, I think he has been dragging his feet on Afghanistan. Either we have a military/political objective there or we don't.

If we do - make the strategy known to the generals and provide the resources to accomplish it. Simple - CIC defines the job and puts the people in place to do the job.

Well, OK as a human I care. Just not enough the put US troops in the line of the oncoming civil war.

I think there's a strong American interest in making sure the Taliban and Al Queda don't return to power (for if they do they'll undoubtedly support terrorist attacks in the US as they did before), that the drug production there is stymied as much as possible and farmers encouraged and rewarded for growing things besides poppies, and that we set up a stable democracy with basic human rights protections for the people so that they aren't forced to live under a brutal, oppressive regime again. That's 3 good reasons right there to get the job done right before we bring the troops home, rather than just leaving and letting all the hard work and lives lost be for nothing.

Speedy
11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
If we leave the way Obambi want's us to leave we are practically begging for an attack, a massive one, on our soil. Because once we leave, we are not easily going back. We will instead treat it as a criminal matter, like that will deter anyone.

megimoo
11-13-2009, 03:58 PM
If we leave the way Obambi want's us to leave we are practically begging for an attack, a massive one, on our soil. Because once we leave, we are not easily going back. We will instead treat it as a criminal matter, like that will deter anyone.
There's also that small matter of those Nukes in Storage in Pakistan.If the Taliban or Al Qaeda terrorist get their hands on those we are sure to 'eat 'a few.

Can you imagine a few suicidal bombers with tubes of Radioactive Boron shoved up their butts going off in a crowded area during Christmas rush in New York City ?