PDA

View Full Version : Everyone in Britain Could be Given a Personal 'Carbon Allowance'

megimoo
11-13-2009, 04:00 PM
"Once again Jolly Old England Leads The Way Back To The Stone Ages !"

Everyone in Britain should have an annual carbon ration and be penalised if they use too much fuel, the head of the Environment Agency will say.

Under the Climate Change Act, Britain is obliged to cut its emissions by 80 per cent on 1990 levels by 2050.
Lord Smith of Finsbury believes that implementing individual carbon allowances for every person will be the most effective way of meeting the targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

It would involve people being issued with a unique number which they would hand over when purchasing products that contribute to their carbon footprint, such as fuel, airline tickets and electricity.

Like with a bank account, a statement would be sent out each month to help people keep track of what they are using.

If their "carbon account" hits zero, they would have to pay to get more credits.

snip

Lord Smith will call for the scheme to be part of a "Green New Deal" to be introduced within 20 years when he addresses the agency's annual conference on Monday.

An Environment Agency spokesman said only those with "extravagant lifestyles" would be affected by the carbon allowances.

He said: "A lot of people who cycle will get money back. It will probably only be bankers and those with extravagant lifestyles who would lose out."

However, some have criticised the move as "Orwellian" and say it will have a detrimental impact on business.
snip

It's Orwellian. This will be an enormous tax on business."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/carbon/6527970/Everyone-in-Britain-could-be-given-a-personal-carbon-allowance.html

Gingersnap
11-13-2009, 04:20 PM
What is "an extravagant lifestyle" anyway? :confused:

stsinner
11-13-2009, 04:52 PM
This is not at all surprising.. Politicians are dishonest creeps, almost to the one.. In California they've banned large flat screen TVs because they suck too much power.. So no longer can you have it as long as you can afford it in the Land of the Free....

megimoo
11-13-2009, 09:50 PM
What is "an extravagant lifestyle" anyway? :confused:Driving a car,breathing air,exhaling carbon monoxide,eating food,drinking wine !

Gingersnap
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Driving a car,breathing air,exhaling carbon monoxide,eating food,drinking wine !

Apparently deviant sex is still okay, though. Right?

hampshirebrit
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Fuck that shit. I'm offski somewhere else if they try it here.

I definitely fall into the extravagant lifestyle category where "producing carbon" is concerned.

On the bright side, it looks like Copenhagen next month is going to be a big waste of time.

Big Guy
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
This is not at all surprising.. Politicians are dishonest creeps, almost to the one.. In California they've banned large flat screen TVs because they suck too much power.. So no longer can you have it as long as you can afford it in the Land of the Free....

Land of the free no it's the land of the FEE.:D

Gingersnap
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Fuck that shit. I'm offski somewhere else if they try it here.

I definitely fall into the extravagant lifestyle category where "producing carbon" is concerned.

On the bright side, it looks like Copenhagen next month is going to be a big waste of time.

Personally, I'm looking at ways to increase my carbon output. It's damn hard when you live the kind of crunchy conservative lifestyle I have. :mad:

megimoo
11-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Apparently deviant sex is still okay, though. Right?That's a Wholly Preferred and Sanctioned Activity Among the EU Ministers !

Gingersnap
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
That's a Wholly Preferred and Sanctioned Activity Among the EU Ministers !

I don't doubt it. Not Gordon Brown, of course. He's a eunuch as far I can tell. :D

hampshirebrit
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't doubt it. Not Gordon Brown, of course. He's a eunuch as far I can tell. :D

Obviously. GB has a reverse midas touch. Everything he touches turns to shit. I wish we didn't have another 6 months before we can get rid.