PDA

View Full Version : The Intolerance of Those Who Demand Tolerance

FlaGator
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
To quote South Park "Intolerence will not be tolerated!" You would think that a college professor would have some concept of the golden rule.

On Nov. 24, 2008, Los Angeles City College speech professor John Matteson interrupted and ended Jonathan Lopez's presentation mid-speech, calling him a "fascist bastard" in front of the class for speaking about his faith, which included reading the dictionary definition of marriage and reciting two Bible verses. Instead of allowing Lopez to finish, Matteson told the other students they could leave if they were offended. When no one left, Matteson dismissed the class. Refusing to grade the assigned speech, Matteson wrote on Lopez's evaluation, "Ask God what your grade is."

One week later, after seeing Lopez talking to the college's dean of academic affairs, Matteson told Lopez that he would make sure he'd be expelled from school. Matteson's treatment of Lopez during his speech follows an earlier incident in which Matteson told his entire class after the November election, "If you voted yes on Proposition 8, you are a fascist bastard."

Read it all here (http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/news/pressrelease.aspx?cid=4823)

Sonnabend
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Translation: It's only freedom of speech when you agree with me.

expat-pattaya
11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
So is Matteson still a prof there? And has he come out of the closet yet? :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm glad there's a legal defense group to counter the ACLU. I suspect the school will do nothing to reprimand the professor. If he wasn't tenured, he probably is now. :rolleyes:

GrumpyOldLady
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
FlaGator ... you nailed it. Exactly.