PDA

View Full Version : Cupping and colonics: GPs expose top 10 most useless celebrity-inspired health therap

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Cupping and colonics: GPs expose top 10 most useless celebrity-inspired health therapies

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 8:24 AM on 11th November 2009

Celebrity backing has been the making of many an alternative health treatment. But some of these fads are a waste of time and money and could even be dangerous, according to doctors. Four in five women splash out on alternative treatments used by the rich and famous even though there is little or no evidence that they work, research found.

Some could be putting their health at risk by choosing 'therapies' favoured by celebrities over a visit to their GP. Cupping, a form of acupuncture in which heated cups are placed on the skin to stimulate blood flow and ease stress and pain, tops a list of 'health hoaxes' identified by GPs.

It has been used by actress Gwyneth Paltrow, but studies have shown that the evidence it works is far from conclusive.

Second on the list is colonic irrigation, in which a large, water-filled tube is used to 'cleanse' the bowel. Actor Ben Affleck has tried it, but there is no medical or scientific evidence it works, according to the NHS Choices website.

In third place is food intolerance testing, which singer Geri Halliwell has tried. Kits can cost up to 275 but the results are said to be highly variable.

The others in the top ten are: 4 detoxing; 5 macrobiotic diets; 6 aromatherapy; 7 reflexology; 8 vitamin B12 injections; 9 extreme yoga; 10 overnight health farm stays. The list was compiled by insurance firm Aviva from a survey of 200 GPs.

Dr Douglas Wright, of Aviva's health arm, said: 'Too many women are wasting money following health fads that have little effect. 'What's more worrying is that some are opting for treatment trends rather than seeking medical advice - they might not be fashionable but tried and tested health routes are safer and more beneficial.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1226780/Cupping-colonics-GPs-expose-10-useless-celebrity-inspired-health-therapies.html#ixzz0X8nKEwQJ

"Detoxing" - biggest rip-off of the new century and one that's been around for 5,000 years. :D

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Bumping for bogus-bashing.

linda22003
11-17-2009, 08:43 PM
A colonic is just an enema, right? :cool:

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
A colonic is just an enema, right? :cool:

You poor girl. An enema is something some allopathic egomaniac makes you do before a particularly humiliating medical procedure. A colonic is a cleansing, quasi-spiritual experience designed to rid your body of toxins and elevate your aura to its proper level.

I can't believe I have to explain these things. :D

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a load of crap to me!

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a load of crap to me!

Shouldn't you be grinding up lichen and selling it to high-end spas as a beauty treatment?

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Shouldn't you be grinding up lichen and selling it to high-end spas as a beauty treatment?

You lichen me to someone else!

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM

You wish. :p

Seriously, with the right packaging and PR, I don't see why you couldn't. You could even combine it with goat dung for an enhanced experience. If they pay like $300 bucks for a Nightingale poop facial, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Big Guy
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
You wish. :p

Seriously, with the right packaging and PR, I don't see why you couldn't. You could even combine it with goat dung for an enhanced experience. If they pay like $300 bucks for a Nightingale poop facial, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

That is just nasty, do people really put poo on their face? Other than mental patients of course.:eek:

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
That is just nasty, do people really put poo on their face? Other than mental patients of course.:eek:

Dude, they get on waiting lists for the privilege. If you think that's the grossest thing vain, over-moneyed women do in the name of trendy beauty, you need educatin' :D

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Poop is for gardens! And storing missing earrings of course.

Big Guy
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Dude, they get on waiting lists for the privilege. If you think that's the grossest thing vain, over-moneyed women do in the name of trendy beauty, you need educatin' :D

Dats jus nasty, they should stick with Avon and Mary Kay. In this case I perferr to stay ignorant. :eek:

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Maybe I should rethink this? I would have to hire someone to package it. I'll run an add in the paper " help wanted, turd packer"!

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Dude, maybe you should take Ginger's advice. You could be a guru.

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Dude, maybe you should take Ginger's advice. You could be a guru.
Do you know any good turd packers?

Big Guy
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Maybe I should rethink this? I would have to hire someone to package it. I'll run an add in the paper " help wanted, turd packer"!

Hey Speedy I think Rocktractor might need some personnell for his new endevour can you give him some tips? After 7 years I'm sure you knopw some turd packers. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah, but I'm thinking you could make more money making the celebrities come to you. They pay thousands of dollars for these sweat lodge things. Have them do a sort of outdoor moving meditation sweat lodge called Loading Rocks.

You don't have a saffron robe, do you?

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 10:11 PM

The packing end is easy. You need a good web site developer. Your wife could sell dried curds as a beauty "booster". Okay, this could take off.

You own me 5% of the annual net profits as a creative fee. I'll be available for additional marketing advice and high-profile media interviews to push the products as needed, of course. :D

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 10:45 PM
It just dawned on me! Ginger loses earring, dog eats earring, Gingers starts thread about colon cleansing. Ginger put the dog down and take off those latex gloves!:D:eek:

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Run Daisey run!:eek:

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Run Daisey run!:eek:

LOL! The earring is about one 10th the size of Daisy's head. She's a runt and it was largish. It's not her. :D

noonwitch
11-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Cupping sounds kind of useful, if you substitute heating pads for heated cups. At least, if it's comforting on a psychological level, it will cause the person to feel better physically.

I tried a macrobiotic diet once, when I had gallstones-I thought I could avoid having surgery. I didn't eat hardly any fat for two weeks, and I didn't have a single gall-bladder attack. I ate seaweed, pita bread with sprouts and bulgar pilaf. I also thought I was losing my mind and seeing things that weren't there, like people's auras and such. Now, the guy who sold me on the diet would say that was what was supposed to happen, since he is the psychic owner of a new age bookstore and all, but still, I stopped that diet immediately and got the surgery, in the end.

SaintLouieWoman
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Cupping sounds kind of useful, if you substitute heating pads for heated cups. At least, if it's comforting on a psychological level, it will cause the person to feel better physically.

I tried a macrobiotic diet once, when I had gallstones-I thought I could avoid having surgery. I didn't eat hardly any fat for two weeks, and I didn't have a single gall-bladder attack. I ate seaweed, pita bread with sprouts and bulgar pilaf. I also thought I was losing my mind and seeing things that weren't there, like people's auras and such. Now, the guy who sold me on the diet would say that was what was supposed to happen, since he is the psychic owner of a new age bookstore and all, but still, I stopped that diet immediately and got the surgery, in the end.

Sadly this usually happens. We don't want to think of the more difficult thing, like surgery, and opt for an easier way to feel better.

I've been going to a chiropractor as my back has been bothering me, ditto my left knee. She's done acupuncture on my knee several times. Yesterday she asked if my knee is feeling better. I told her no. She was shocked! She said 100% of her patients said yes. Hope she gets over it.

She presented me with a "package" yesterday, a 25% discount if I commit to 6 months of treatment. I told her I'd think about it----and left without scheduling another appointment. Overall I've been feeling better, but there's this nagging suspicion that sometimes shouts to me that most of the stuff is fraudulent.

Gingersnap
11-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Sadly this usually happens. We don't want to think of the more difficult thing, like surgery, and opt for an easier way to feel better.

I've been going to a chiropractor as my back has been bothering me, ditto my left knee. She's done acupuncture on my knee several times. Yesterday she asked if my knee is feeling better. I told her no. She was shocked! She said 100% of her patients said yes. Hope she gets over it.

She presented me with a "package" yesterday, a 25% discount if I commit to 6 months of treatment. I told her I'd think about it----and left without scheduling another appointment. Overall I've been feeling better, but there's this nagging suspicion that sometimes shouts to me that most of the stuff is fraudulent.

Studies have shown that a lot of people really get significant relief from getting pins poked into them. Sadly, the studies also show that it doesn't seem to matter whether the pins get stuck into your chi points or just randomly. :D

I'm not against all alternative health practices but I do think that people should go into them with their eyes open. Trying acupuncture seems sensible since people really do sometimes feel better. Dropping it if you don't also seems sensible.

We have a lot of frutarians in Colorado. It's very popular with the New Age crowd in Boulder. From time to time the alternative press will run a hippy PSA telling people to make sure they get checked out medically if they are just eating fruit (or just brown rice or just raw veggies). The fruit people seem to have a lot of dental problems and acid reflux scarring.

SaintLouieWoman
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Studies have shown that a lot of people really get significant relief from getting pins poked into them. Sadly, the studies also show that it doesn't seem to matter whether the pins get stuck into your chi points or just randomly. :D

I'm not against all alternative health practices but I do think that people should go into them with their eyes open. Trying acupuncture seems sensible since people really do sometimes feel better. Dropping it if you don't also seems sensible.

We have a lot of frutarians in Colorado. It's very popular with the New Age crowd in Boulder. From time to time the alternative press will run a hippy PSA telling people to make sure they get checked out medically if they are just eating fruit (or just brown rice or just raw veggies). The fruit people seem to have a lot of dental problems and acid reflux scarring.

I feel that some of the alternative health practices are filling in a void left with the traditional medicine practices. The recommendation to start having mammograms at 50 vs 40 reeks (in my opinion) of rationing, keeping costs down at the possible expense of women's lives.

The problem is to determine if some of these alternatives really help, other than as a placebo. This chiropractor also is a "certified holistic counselor", whatever that is. It gets me when she says that she offers the NEWS (neural emotional wholeness system/Neuro Endocrine wholeness systems).

I was amazed when she started "muscle testing". According to this, I have a sensitivity to wheat. She's had me off it for a few weeks now. I grudgingly have to admit that I feel better, and actually seem to be breathing better. (have pulmonary hypertension). I feel actually as good as when I used the stupid inhaler (symbicort) that I needed after the massive exposure to smoke on a trip in the spring. I prefer not taking excessive meds, so I guess it's helping. But I can't logically understand her methods and have a problem suspending disbelief.

Gingersnap
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I was amazed when she started "muscle testing". According to this, I have a sensitivity to wheat. She's had me off it for a few weeks now. I grudgingly have to admit that I feel better, and actually seem to be breathing better. (have pulmonary hypertension). I feel actually as good as when I used the stupid inhaler (symbicort) that I needed after the massive exposure to smoke on a trip in the spring. I prefer not taking excessive meds, so I guess it's helping. But I can't logically understand her methods and have a problem suspending disbelief.

It's probably the carbohydrate reduction that's making you feel better. I eat a generally lower carb diet and I try eat carbs that are low GI (but I'm not a fanatic about it). Wheat is the new dairy in alternative circles.

I personally don't think muscle testing is anything more than a subconscious response to subtle cues. It's no different than playing around with a pendulum. ;)