PDA

View Full Version : Palin Cover Shot Called 'Sexist'.

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Palin Newsweek cover in shorts: Comparing Obama Newsweek.com photos with Sarah Palin's shorts cover

November 17, 11:49 AMCleveland Pop Culture ExaminerPaula Mooney

http://i50.tinypic.com/32zuc1u.jpg

(PRNewsFoto/NEWSWEEK)The View has just addressed the Newsweek cover "shorts gate" controversy that Sarah Palin has called sexist and demeaning.

Using Google Images to compare photos of President Obama that have appeared in Newsweek.com, no immediately unflattering images of Obama on Newsweek's cover or within their magazines pages have come to the forefront -- unless one takes umbrage to a band-aid on the President's nose, perhaps.

The point being, Newsweek didn't take that shirtless photo of President Obama in excellent shape and slap that on their cover photo the way they did with Sarah Palin in running shorts -- also in excellent shape.

Ironically Newsweek.com journalists wrote about The New Yorker's controversial cover of President Obama and First Lady Michelle depicted as terrorists during the campaign, with Newsweek writers landing on both sides of the issue.

"This cover of Newsweek I think was so disrespectful to Sarah Palin," Sherri Shepherd said on Tuesday's episode of The View, after Barbara Walters held up a copy of the Newsweek issue and asked the panel, "What do you think of this?"

"Why?" Joy Behar asked. "She looks great. What is the problem with it?"

"This is a woman who has very serious views...but you don't put her on the cover with little shorts on," Barbara Walters said.

"She said 'I thought it was cheesy,'" Walters said, repeating Palin's GMA interview comments with Barbara Walters that began airing today in snippets on Good Morning America, later Tuesday on Nightline.

"You have to remember that she was a beauty queen and entered a pageant," Behar said about Sarah Palin's former life.

"This is not a way that we should be addressing women in politics," Elisabeth Hasselbeck said.

"One of the things that we have begun to do is to take stuff and put it out of context," Whoopi Goldberg said. "I don't think if Newsweek would have asked her for a series of photos that she would have given them this. It's a snipe. Maybe it's a liberal magazine--"

"It's not a liberal magazine, Newsweek, not at all," Behar protested.

"We'd be just as upset if they did that to Hillary Clinton," Whoopi said, surmising, "it's a women's issue."

Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-22153-Cleveland-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2009m11d17-Palin-Newsweek-cover-in-shorts-Comparing-Obama-Newsweekcom-covers-with-Sarah-Palins-shorts-cover)

linda22003
11-17-2009, 01:39 PM
The headline seems to be more problematic than the picture. :o :p

Speedy
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
The left wishes that that was an unflattering picture of Sarah. She looks great and the Democrats wish that one of their own was hot enough to grace the cover of Newsweek in the same outfit.

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
The headline seems to be more problematic than the picture. :o :p

The pic is a problem. As the article points out, no one is running Obama's famous half naked pic over a serious discussion of his presidency. It's demaning (and I'm sure it's intentional). I'm not very sensitive to sexist alarmism but this crosses a line.

I was plesantly surprised to read Whoopi's intellectually honest remarks. :)

AmPat
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
The pic is a problem. As the article points out, no one is running Obama's famous half naked pic over a serious discussion of his presidency. It's demaning (and I'm sure it's intentional). I'm not very sensitive to sexist alarmism but this crosses a line.

I was plesantly surprised to read Whoopi's intellectually honest remarks. :)
Same here. I thought Whoopi was as lost as the other usual liberals. Behar claiming Newsweek isn't liberal is typical though.

linda22003
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't know why she posed for the picture. Even if it was for a running magazine, she could have considered whether that was the way she wanted to be presented. Apparently, it was.

patriot45
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Why didn't the great newsweek just run with this one.....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/palin.jpg

linda22003
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Presumably you know that one was a photoshop. :)

patriot45
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Presumably you know that one was a photoshop. :)

:cool:

It wouldn't matter to them anyway!

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know why she posed for the picture. Even if it was for a running magazine, she could have considered whether that was the way she wanted to be presented. Apparently, it was.

I think it's impossible for a public figure to avoid any photops that portray them in a less than serious light. Runners don't wear skirted suits to do their thing. It's not just a female thing - all serious runners wear shorts.

Speedy
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
What is pissing off the left and causing them to shriek to no end is not that Sarah posed for these photos, but that she looks so damned good in them. If they had someone who was a serious runner and looked this good in shorts they would not hesitate to put her on a cover and praise her for the inspiration she was to fat cows that do nothing but sit on the couch and watch Oprah.

Apache
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
OMG, she's showing showing showing.....LEGS :eek: (a mighty fine pair of em too ;))

She's wearing a freakin' running suit that a LOT of women wear. BIG DEAL :eek:

AmPat
11-17-2009, 03:20 PM
OMG, she's showing showing showing.....LEGS :eek: (a mighty fine pair of em too ;))

She's wearing a freakin' running suit that a LOT of women wear. BIG DEAL :eek:

We can only hope that Michelle doesn't follow her. Seeing Michelle in less than a full length robe causes video brain virus.:eek:

noonwitch
11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I like the photo, and I'm not exactly a Palin fan. I like the tennis shoes with the skirt-as a working woman, I can relate to that. When I worked in a downtown office, I would put my heels on in the office, but put on the tennies before walking to lunch somewhere nearby.

I didn't catch any of Oprah but the end few minutes, but it seemed to me that Sarah did fine in the interview and that Oprah genuinely (or as genuinely as Oprah gets) liked her. Sarah seemed a lot more comfortable than she did during the campaign.

AmPat
11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the photo, and I'm not exactly a Palin fan. I like the tennis shoes with the skirt-as a working woman, I can relate to that. When I worked in a downtown office, I would put my heels on in the office, but put on the tennies before walking to lunch somewhere nearby.

I didn't catch any of Oprah but the end few minutes, but it seemed to me that Sarah did fine in the interview and that Oprah genuinely (or as genuinely as Oprah gets) liked her. Sarah seemed a lot more comfortable than she did during the campaign.

She was muzzled in the campaign. McLame and handlers didn't give her the talking points. She was free to speak her mind with Oprah. Sarah would hand Cutie Katie her head in a fair one on one. I would love to see a rematch.