PDA

View Full Version : Thinning The RINO Herd?

megimoo
11-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Here's an interesting exchange between Chris Wallace and Republican GOP Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Fox News Sunday yesterday:

WALLACE: Let me turn, because I would , I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't ask you a few political questions, Senator.

Conservatives are now talking about launching primary challenges against candidates who are actually picked by the Senate Republican leadership in a number of states. We have them up on a map there in Florida, in Connecticut, in Illinois, in California, and your home state of Kentucky.

In fact, it has gotten so serious that the National Republican Senate Committee has stopped endorsing candidates because it seems that it creates a grassroots backlash.

How concerned are you , how much of a threat is this split within the GOP to your chances in 2010, the way it kind of messed up things in that upstate congressional district in New York?

MCCONNELL: No threat at all. I mean, what you see here is enormous enthusiasm to run. People believe that getting the Republican nomination means you have a good chance of winning.

And so we've got, for example, a four-way primary in Connecticut for our nomination, a state we haven't been competitive in in a very long time. So our view is this is an indication of the shifting political environment.

We all know the Gallup poll just last week, in response asked the American people if the election were held today would you vote for the Republican candidate for Congress or the Democratic candidate for Congress. Our side had a four-point lead. Among independents it had a 22-point lead.

The political landscape, Chris, has shifted dramatically in the last year...

WALLACE: But , but let...

MCCONNELL: ... since this administration, and that's...

WALLACE: ... but let me just...

MCCONNELL: ... why all of these, that's why all of these people want to run for office.

WALLACE: But let me just briefly ask you about the political landscape within the party, because it now seems that an endorsement by the National Republican Senatorial Committee is a bad thing, not a badge of honor.

MCCONNELL: Well, they generally don't endorse anyway. So it doesn't make any difference. I mean, we're happy that there are a lot of people running, and the reason they're running is because they think the nomination's worth having because they think they can win in November.
http://rightwingnews.com/

megimoo
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Now I find all of that very interesting for a couple of reasons. One:

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham’s public support is collapsing in South Carolina driven by a wholesale revolt among the GOP electorate and a steady erosion of his support amongst independents.
Already consistently loathed by a solid third of GOP voters, Graham’s recent leftward bent including his co-authoring of a controversial “Cap and Tax” proposal supported by President Barack Obama and liberal Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) has him locked in a “terminal free fall,” according one prominent Republican consultant.
I told you about that in a post entitled "Why The GOP Remains A Minority Party". Graham is typical of the type of politician the conservative base is sick and tired of. While NY-23 was the harbinger, Graham's defeat in a primary would be the definitive signal that the game has decidedly changed within the GOP. Mitch McConnell, putting the best face he can on it, has obviously sniffed out the trend and is "enthusiastically" supporting it.
That's the second thing I find interesting - will the NRSC be throwing funds Graham's way in his next re-election campaign (certainly doing so would be interpreted as a sign of endorsement) or not? Taking McConnell and the NRSC at their word (always an iffy bet) I'd have to say no.
The bottom line here is the politicians are paying attention. Given McConnell's words they don't see this building opposition to the more "moderate" Scozzafava-type Republicans as going away. In fact, when McConnell says they're seeing a "shifting political environment", he's admitting they've finally figured out where that shift is headed, the fact that it is not a fad or a temporary phenomenon and that he and the rest of the GOP politicians had better get on board or find themselves facing a primary opponent.
I'm going to be very interested to see where that leaves mushy old Lindsey Graham in all of this when election time rolls around.
http://rightwingnews.com/

Molon Labe
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Lindsey Graham would be at the very top of my list of RINOs needing the boot.

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
If you get rid of rhinos you get rid of republicans. I am agreeing with Mr. Feeb more and more all the time. I have learned a lot on this site, what is conservative mainstream today would be to the left of Democrats 40 years ago.

i

Molon Labe
11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
If you get rid of rhinos you get rid of republicans. I am agreeing with Mr. Feeb more and more all the time. I have learned a lot on this site, what is conservative mainstream today would be to the left of Democrats 40 years ago.

Exactly. The conservatism of the Tafts has been given the boot years ago. That's why I see little difference in the parties anymore.

megimoo
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Lindsey Graham would be at the very top of my list of RINOs needing the boot.
These RINO'S aren't Conservatives anyway .They are Liberals running in a district with heavy Republician base and claim to be Republician's to get elected.

They will vote with the liberals at every chance they get and like Lindsey boy they claim they know better that those who voted him into office.

Graham needs to go,he sucks up to McCain because he does the same thing voting with the likes of Kennedy and Feingold.

Most of these so called Conservative Republician's are treasonous dogs who like Spector are best palls with Leahey and most other hard core Maoist liberals.
"Scratch a RINO find a Liberal ."

Have you ever noticed a moderate Maoist liberal ?If a Liberal were a Moderate stealth Conservative the left would crucify him and yet the Republician's are expected to support Moderate Conservatives who are in fact liberals voting with the liberals in every important piece of legislation.

They went after Lieberman and in fact ran an liberal opponent against him because he showed some Conservative tendency's .

Case in point both Maine Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins elected as Republician's supported that Obama Health care abortion of a bill being the only Republician RINOS who did .

It's about time that the Conservatives grew angry and dumped the RINO'S first and then those who are nice to hard core liberals.Now is the time to push for true conservative government and return to our Reagan roots.Whenever the conservatives are nice to a Hardcore liberal it ends costing us dearly.

These critters aren't even good Americans.they all talk of change when what they really want is a change in our Constitutional rule of law.To them a strong and prosperous America is an anathema that needs to be weakened at all costs.
Poll: 51% of Republicans would rather risk losing elections than win with RINOs.

The poll indicates that a slight majority, 51 percent, of Republicans would prefer to see the GOP in their area nominate candidates who agree with them on all the major the issues even if they have a poor chance of beating the Democratic candidate. Forty-three percent of Republicans say they would rather have candidates with whom they don’t agree on all the important issues but who can beat the Democrats.

Democrats polled seemed to place a slightly higher priority on electoral victory: 58 percent say that they would like their party to nominate candidates who can beat Republicans, even if they don’t agree with those candidates on all the issues. Fewer than 4 in 10 Democrats say they would rather see their party nominate candidates who agree with them on all major issues, but have a poor chance of beating the Republican candidate.

“One reason for the difference between the parties: the Democrats have a relatively even split on ideological grounds. Thirty-four percent of Democrats are liberal, 40 percent are moderates and less than one in four call themselves conservatives,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

By contrast, 73 percent of Republicans questioned in the poll say they are conservatives, with only 26 percent describing themselves as liberal or moderate Republicans.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/11/17/poll-51-of-republicans-would-rather-risk-losing-elections-than-win-with-rinos/

lacarnut
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Since 1994 I have not seen this much anti-government and anti-RINO opposition. Now is the time to run conservatives against them. Appeasement has not worked. We are at the crossroads and if we can not turn this freight train around in 2010, it looks like it is all downhill to me.

PoliCon
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM

iI think this is as much a backlash against incumbents as anything. I mean if we're realistic - there are times when you have to work with the other side to get things done - sure. There may even be issues that someone differs from the conservative norm on while still being a conservative - but when you have people who have LONG records of working with the opposition against conservative principles as is the case with Graham - it doesn't matter that his ACU is in the 90s. We remember him as being someone who supported Amnesty, who supports cap and trade, and was a member of the gang of 14.