PDA

View Full Version : Do you kneel to pray? (If you pray)

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I love to visit worship services of different religious groups. One of the things I have noticed is the posture of prayer in public worship.

Some churches stand to pray. Others kneel to pray. Still others may have the person leading prayer stand while the congregation kneels. I have also seen the exact opposite be true, where the congregation stands and the person leading in prayer kneels.

That is public prayer, but I also wonder about private prayer. As I've said, faith can be difficult for me, but I do pray. Sometimes I kneel to pray. Sometimes I stand. Most often, I am walking and am in prayer at the same time. I have even been in prayer while driving (with my eyes open, of course.)

If you pray, what is/are your posture or postures of prayer?

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I love to visit worship services of different religious groups. One of the things I have noticed is the posture of prayer in public worship.

Some churches stand to pray. Others kneel to pray. Still others may have the person leading prayer stand while the congregation kneels. I have also seen the exact opposite be true, where the congregation stands and the person leading in prayer kneels.

That is public prayer, but I also wonder about private prayer. As I've said, faith can be difficult for me, but I do pray. Sometimes I kneel to pray. Sometimes I stand. Most often, I am walking and am in prayer at the same time. I have even been in prayer while driving (with my eyes open, of course.)

If you pray, what is/are your posture or postures of prayer?
Not outside, you get goat poop on your knees!

linda22003
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Episcopalians do kneel. Some of us use the pew behind us for butt support. ;)

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Sure, sometimes. Kneeling in traditional Christianity (Protestant or Catholic) is a posture that expresses humility and obeisance. It's a physical form that says, "I'm not all that...."

MrsSmith
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
In church, we generally pray either standing or sitting. I, personally, often pray while driving...40 miles each way to work, lots of time. (Eyes open, of course.) I have also prayed on while kneeling, and in that kneeling-head to floor position you see Muslims assume... and flat on my face, when I was fasting and praying about something very important to me.

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
True. I'm not even questioning or discussing, at this point, the content of the prayer because that communication is based on the heart of a believer relating to or communing with The Almighty.

But to me the physical posture of prayer can accentuate the experience of prayer by physically, outwardly, manifesting a posture of the body that corresponds to the position of the heart of the person offering the prayer to God.

I can relate it to the sights and sounds and even the smells of a worship service. Candles, incense, music, the reading of Scripture, all these things can add an amazing dimension to public worship.

When I walk into church and smell the scent of good beeswax candles I get a sense of connectness to the Almighty that it is palpable. It does not, in any way, supplant the content of Scripture or the homily or the Prayers of the People or the music, but it inclines my heart in such a way as to lay bare a portion of my will and my intellect that I guard very carefully at every other time.

I have rarely found this in private prayer and worship. Perhaps this is indicative of the communal nature of our Faith and the intent of the Almighty that we worship together.

I just find it facsinating.

FlaGator
11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
In the Episcopal church I attend we pray both standing and kneeling. Now from a personal perspective when I pray alone I prefer to pray on my knees but I pray really often. I'll pray when I sitting in my vehicle driving, when I walking some were, when I sitting at my desk working or even laying in bed just thinking. I don't think that it really matters how you pray but that you pray and pray often. I believe in staying in constant touch with God.

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
When I walk into church and smell the scent of good beeswax candles I get a sense of connectness to the Almighty that it is palpable. It does not, in any way, supplant the content of Scripture or the homily or the Prayers of the People or the music, but it inclines my heart in such a way as to lay bare a portion of my will and my intellect that I guard very carefully at every other time.

I have rarely found this in private prayer and worship. Perhaps this is indicative of the communal nature of our Faith and the intent of the Almighty that we worship together.

I just find it facsinating.

Or you don't have an area of your environment dedicated to prayer and spiritual exercise. I do and when I go there and close the door, I have a very sensory experience. While I'm a member of the Via Media, this isn't wholly foreign to Protestants either. Many people have a special place in their homes that is dedicated to spiritual study and prayer - your "closet", if you will. ;)

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
In the Episcopal church I attend we pray both standing and kneeling. Now from a personal perspective when I pray alone I prefer to pray on my knees but I pray really often. I'll pray when I sitting in my vehicle driving, when I walking some were, when I sitting at my desk working or even laying in bed just thinking. I don't think that it really matters how you pray but that you pray and pray often. I believe in staying in constant touch with God.

There is a verse that says Pray without ceasing.

Perhaps that is what it means.

Big Guy
11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I usually pray sitting, unless I'm in a group then it's standing, I kneel at the bed before I go to sleep. I don't know that it really matters as long as you pray.

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Or you don't have an area of your environment dedicated to prayer and spiritual exercise. I do and when I go there and close the door, I have a very sensory experience. While I'm a member of the Via Media, this isn't wholly foreign to Protestants either. Many people have a special place in their homes that is dedicated to spiritual study and prayer - your "closet", if you will. ;)

I'm not familiar with Via Media...it would be the way of something, but I think I get what you are saying and you are correct in that I do not have such a place set aside. In fact, it has never occurred to me to do so.

Interesting.

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not familiar with Via Media...it would be the way of something, but I think I get what you are saying and you are correct in that I do not have such a place set aside. In fact, it has never occurred to me to do so.

Interesting.

I'm a member of the Continuing Anglican Movement. We're what Episcopalians were before they all lost their minds in the Summer of Love. Anglicans traditionally see our path as the "middle way" between Roman Catholicism and Reformed Protestantism. So, we've got some very, very Reformed types of services and we've got some nose-bleed high Anglo-Catholic masses. ;)

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm a member of the Continuing Anglican Movement. We're what Episcopalians were before they all lost their minds in the Summer of Love. Anglicans traditionally see our path as the "middle way" between Roman Catholicism and Reformed Protestantism. So, we've got some very, very Reformed types of services and we've got some nose-bleed high Anglo-Catholic masses. ;)

Now I get it, like the Buddhist notion of the Middle way between asceticism and indulgence.

I did not know the Episcopal Church before about 1994 so what I have known is the church pretty much as it is now.

I visited an conservative Episcopal Church on Edisto and am very inclined toward their mode of teaching, preaching and worship.

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I visited an conservative Episcopal Church on Edisto and am very inclined toward their mode of teaching, preaching and worship.

There are many conservative Anglican churches. We're in the process of trying to unite in the absence of credible leadership from Canterbury. These things happen.

Some Continuing churches incline more toward an austere Reformed notion, some are very liturgical in a you'd-recognize-it-anywhere 1950s American church-way, and some (like mine) incline more to the 'smells and bells' format. We all abide by the Word of God, we all believe that members have the latitude to make up our own minds on family planning and the status of the Mother of God but not on the nature of marriage or basic theology. We're congenial, friendly, and not very interested in the Prosperity Gospel. We find speaking in tongues to be.....something other churches do - not that there's anything wrong with that.

:D

stsinner
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
I get on my knees often at the side of my bed and fold my hands and ask the Lord to forgive me for being a sinner.

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
There are many conservative Anglican churches. We're in the process of trying to unite in the absence of credible leadership from Canterbury. These things happen.

Some Continuing churches incline more toward an austere Reformed notion, some are very liturgical in a you'd-recognize-it-anywhere 1950s American church-way, and some (like mine) incline more to the 'smells and bells' format. We all abide by the Word of God, we all believe that members have the latitude to make up our own minds on family planning and the status of the Mother of God but not on the nature of marriage or basic theology. We're congenial, friendly, and not very interested in the Prosperity Gospel. We find speaking in tongues to be.....something other churches do - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sounds like my termperment and preference. I've heard of Forward in Faith and The American Anglican Council but I'm not too sure where such a church is around here. We're very rural.

Miz Bubba worked for a while as the administrative assistant for a charismatic ministry. I went with her to a meeting in Atlanta that she was required to attend as a part of her job.

It was the first and only time I have been to a charismatic service. I was fascinated, respectful, and not personally interested in it.

More power to the folks who find something there but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Bubba Dawg
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I get on my knees often at the side of my bed and fold my hands and ask the Lord to forgive me for being a sinner.

One of my favorite verses contains the prayer God be merciful to me a sinner.

Rockntractor
11-17-2009, 10:36 PM

God has a staff of full time translators so you can speak any language you like!

stsinner
11-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Amen..

Gingersnap
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
God has a staff of full time translators so you can speak any language you like!

Thanks! We're doing good with some kind of English-Latin combo out here. :p

megimoo
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Mine is God be merciful to me a wretched sinner .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LofARYK9EU

CueSi
11-18-2009, 02:46 AM
I lie on my stomach when I am by myself at home, like the way some orders of nuns do when they become consecrated.

Most times in public, I sit still and remove my glasses. That's usually the best way most people tell if I'm praying and not zoned out.

~QC

JackKetch
11-18-2009, 06:58 AM

Edisto is a far piece from the Georgia mountains, Bubba. you reminded me how i keep wanting to get back to Charleston.

anyway, being Catholic, i would kneel to pray but my knees don't let me these days so i have to settle for sitting to pray.
getting older is no fun, but it beats the alternative. :D

Sonnabend
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I pray wherever I am when I need to. God does not need me to kneel...or bow..He understands me well enough. At a bedside, walking, or in the middle of nowhere...He can hear me and see me just fine.

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, HE it is that doth go with thee; HE will not fail thee, nor forsake thee"

(Deutoronomy 31:6)

FlaGator
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
I pray wherever I am when I need to. God does not need me to kneel...or bow..He understands me well enough. At a bedside, walking, or in the middle of nowhere...He can hear me and see me just fine.

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, HE it is that doth go with thee; HE will not fail thee, nor forsake thee"

(Deutoronomy 31:6)

He doesn't need to you to, but I kneel out of a sign of respect to His sovereignty. I see God as my friend and ally but I also see Him as my King and sovereign and I attempt show Him the respect I feel He deserves. I read the Bible and I see how the Biblical figures reacted to Him in His presence. Most feel to the ground in great fear understanding their complete unworthiness to be in his presence. Read Isaiah's reaction to the holy presence in Isaiah 6:1-6. This pattern is presented through how the Bible. We are to approach the Lord humbly and reverently to acknowledge His supreme authority over us and all creation.

SaintLouieWoman
11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
He doesn't need to you to, but I kneel out of a sign of respect to His sovereignty. I see God as my friend and ally but I also see Him as my King and sovereign and I attempt show Him the respect I feel He deserves. I read the Bible and I see how the Biblical figures reacted to Him in His presence. Most feel to the ground in great fear understanding their complete unworthiness to be in his presence. Read Isaiah's reaction to the holy presence in Isaiah 6:1-6. This pattern is presented through how the Bible. We are to approach the Lord humbly and reverently to acknowledge His supreme authority over us and all creation.

God understands and loves us. I feel that God knows what is in our hearts and listens to our prayers, whether sitting, standing, kneeling or whatever. Besides, I had been in an auto accident years ago and ended up with a knee replacement. I no longer kneel, as that darned metal in the right knee really hurts when kneeling.

noonwitch
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
At my church, it's mostly sitting, but the benediction is said with everyone standing and holding hands.

My dad was raised methodist and my mom, episcopalian. When we first moved to Grand Rapids and were checking out churches, we went to the methodist first, then the episcopalian. My parents didn't like the people at the first, and at the second, my dad got upset about the kneeling and the fact that the church didn't have Sunday School for the kids during service. He's back to his methodist roots, these days, but he always hated going to either kind of mass (RC or Episcopalian) because of the kneeling.

FlaGator
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
God understands and loves us. I feel that God knows what is in our hearts and listens to our prayers, whether sitting, standing, kneeling or whatever. Besides, I had been in an auto accident years ago and ended up with a knee replacement. I no longer kneel, as that darned metal in the right knee really hurts when kneeling.

I was merely stating how I look at being in the presense of God. I was not suggesting that my way was the only way. It just my opinion on how I should honor my Lord and Savior.

BadCat
11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Sure, sometimes. Kneeling in traditional Christianity (Protestant or Catholic) is a posture that expresses humility and obeisance. It's a physical form that says, "I'm not all that...."

Which is why you will never see me doing it.

Gingersnap
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Really? I can't believe it! You're such a humble, self-effacing guy. :p

SaintLouieWoman
11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I was merely stating how I look at being in the presense of God. I was not suggesting that my way was the only way. It just my opinion on how I should honor my Lord and Savior.

Sorry, didn't mean your way was the only way. I was just saying some people can't kneel and think God understands. Everyone has their own personal way and don't feel there's one right or wrong way.

GrumpyOldLady
11-18-2009, 12:40 PM

If you cross out the Episcopal Church part ... this is exactly how I pray as well.

FlaGator
11-18-2009, 01:16 PM

a little humility is good for the soul. :)

Gingersnap
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
a little humility is good for the soul. :)

Bad Cat doesn't have a soul. He sold it at the top of the market. :p

RobJohnson
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry, didn't mean your way was the only way. I was just saying some people can't kneel and think God understands. Everyone has their own personal way and don't feel there's one right or wrong way.

I agree.

Today if I was to kneel, I would have to pray that I could get back up. My back is killing me. :D

RobJohnson
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

You just don't want your hair to touch the floor. :D

Sonnabend
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
He doesn't need to you to, but I kneel out of a sign of respect to His sovereignty. I see God as my friend and ally but I also see Him as my King and sovereign and I attempt show Him the respect I feel He deserves.I was asked how I prayed. I answered.

No, He does NOT "need me to"...that is why, as was discussed and given to me, my Saviour is personal, and does not need false humility or me to "fall to my knees".

Thank you, but when i want or need your advice on something this personal, I will ask. Don't presume to lecture me.

PoliCon
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Kneeling - sitting - standing - genuflecting . . . . depends on the situation and the prayer.

I even pray while laying flat on my back in bed. THANK YOU LORD for my wife and her many talents!

Jumpy
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
I am so easily distracted, so kneeling when I pray helps me to focus.

I don't think I have ever knelt publicly in prayer.

stsinner
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
[COLOR=black]He doesn't need to you to, but I kneel out of a sign of respect to His sovereignty.

I kneel because I know that I'm not worthy, and to show God reverence. Of course I pray other times, too, quietly to myself.

hampshirebrit
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Good answer. I like that. :D

Seriously, I think that this is a bit of a personal question, although it was well meant.

When I was a kid, there was a boy at my school who put his hands together in the vertical manner at morning assembly prayers. Everyone else took the piss out of him. I hated seeing them doing that to him, even though by then I'd made my own mind up on religion.

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I am so easily distracted, so kneeling when I pray helps me to focus.

I don't think I have ever knelt publicly in prayer.

I think the posture of prayer can help to focus the mind and spirit. To me, as some have said, it is not a necessary component of the prayer but is a practice which can accentuate the experience of prayer.

I like to walk and pray. Walking slowly and steadily, usually with a walking stick. The rhythm of the steps along with the chunk of the stick also tends to focus the mind.

And of course, prayer can be silent or spoken, IMHO.

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Good answer. I like that. :D

Seriously, I think that this is a bit of a personal question, although it was well meant.

When I was a kid, there was a boy at my school who put his hands together in the vertical manner at morning assembly prayers. Everyone else took the piss out of him. I hated seeing them doing that to him, even though by then I'd made my own mind up on religion.

Yes it is personal.. I thought about it before posting it but it is interesting, at least to me. I like theological discussions that are academic but sometimes a thread about how a belief is put into practice can be instructive.

My grandfather always said Grace at our family meals. Interestingly enough, even at times in my life when I was without faith, I would say Grace because he had asked me that I would always do so and I had told him I would.

bflavin
11-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm Catholic, and I serve at the traditional Latin Mass. Most of my time in prayer there is spent kneeling.

RobJohnson
11-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm Catholic, and I serve at the traditional Latin Mass. Most of my time in prayer there is spent kneeling.

I have never been to Mass. I have seen a few on tv and the rich tradition facinates me.