PDA

View Full Version : The Gorebecile beclowns himself yet again

Sonnabend
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Source (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDcxYThlNzBkOTcyM2EzZmM2MDEyNjFjOGQ3ZmE5M2M=)

Al Gore on Conan O'Brien's show the other day:

Conan: Now, what about you talk in the book about geothermal energy
Al: Yeah, yeah.
Conan: and that is, as I understand it, using the heat that's generated from the core of the earth
Al: Yeah.
Conan: to create energy, and it sounds to me like an evil plan by Lex Luthor to defeat Superman. Can you, can you tell me, is this a viable solution, geothermal energy?
Al: It definitely is, and it's a relatively new one. People think about geothermal energy when they think about it at all in terms of the hot water bubbling up in some places, but two kilometers or so down in most places there are these incredibly hot rocks, 'cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot

Uh....no.

[
Me] The geothermal gradient is usually quoted as 2550 degrees Celsius per mile of depth in normal terrain (not, e.g., in the crater of Kilauea). Two kilometers down, therefore, (that's a mile and a quarter if you're not as science-y as Al) you'll have an average gain of 3060 degrees exploitable for things like home heating, though not hot enough to make a nice pot of tea

. The temperature at the earth's core, 4,000 miles down, is usually quoted as 5,000 degrees Celsius, though these guys claim it's much less, while some contrarian geophysicists have posted claims up to 9,000 degrees. The temperature at the surface of the Sun is around 6,000 degrees Celsius, while at the center, where nuclear fusion is going on bigtime, things get up over 10 million degrees.

If the temperature anywhere inside the earth was "several million degrees," we'd be a star.

expat-pattaya
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
How dare you. You can not hold the goricle to the same standard as say - someone who makes sense :D

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Has he found manbearpig yet?

PoliCon
11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Has he found manbearpig yet?

yup. He found him staring at him through the looking glass. Now if only he can figure out how to get to the world on the other side of the mirror . . . .

FlaGator
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
The surface of the sun is only around 10,000 degrees. The corona around the around the sun is a couple of million degrees but that has to do with the interplay of gravity and magnetism. Al Gore is a living example that America is failing in the sciences. He is suppose to be an expert in the alternative energies and yet he publicly demonstrates that he actually knows nothing about them.