PDA

View Full Version : ACLU wants end to graduations at church

megimoo
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
- The ACLU of Connecticut is warning the Enfield school board to stop holding graduation ceremonies at a Bloomfield megachurch, claiming the graduates and their families are unconstitutionally being subjected to religious messages.

The ACLU, the national ACLU's Freedom of Religion and Belief Project, and Americans United for Separation of Church and State, sent a letter Wednesday to the attorney for the Enfield Public Schools. They're threatening to sue if the district doesn't change the graduation location.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/hartford_cty/aclu-wants-end-to-graduations-at-church

Mophatt
11-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I can't stand the ACLU and think they should be abolished! Here is a story you might find interesting:
A mother listened in to a phone conversation her son was having in his room at HER home about purse snatching and beating up this 80+ year old woman for her money. She called the police knowing they were looking for the person responsible. The ACLU faught for him at his trial claiming the mother obtained that information improperly, invading his privacy. They won.

What the hell is this about?!? He is underage and living in her home. He has no privacy! There are many more examples of the things this organization does wrong. How do we get rid of them? I don't know.

linda22003
11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I've never heard of public schools having graduations in churches. :confused:

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 09:47 AM

It's very common. Mega churches are designed to support huge, multimedia events. They have all the seating, parking, and electronics support to do this easily. I think the ACLU contention that the students or audience are being subjected to unwanted religious messages to be absurd.

Once you get past the sign that says "Temple of Hope" or "Springfield Christian Church" you will usually see no other indications that the facility is Christian. If you were magically transported into the "sanctuary" of most mega churches and you opened your eyes, you could not distinguish the interior from any large mid-level conference center.

linda22003
11-19-2009, 09:49 AM
The only "megachurches" I've seen are on TV, and look like auditoriums. Why aren't school graduations in.... oh, just as an example.... the school?

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
The only "megachurches" I've seen are on TV, and look like auditoriums. Why aren't school graduations in.... oh, just as an example.... the school?

Because the parents believe that the school is required to accommodate a minimum of 10 family members per kid. They think this is a federal regulation.

If the ACLU really wanted to do something about graduations, they'd sue colleges and universities that staged segregated graduation ceremonies.

linda22003
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't know what "segregated" graduation ceremonies are. You don't mean by race, do you? My prep school graduation was outdoors (around a decorative pond), and my college graduation was also - a football stadium. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't know what "segregated" graduation ceremonies are. You don't mean by race, do you? My prep school graduation was outdoors (around a decorative pond), and my college graduation was also - a football stadium. :rolleyes:

Yes, indeed by race. It's common now to have separate Hispanic, African-American, Asian, or Native American graduations. Sometimes the students will participate in the segregated ceremony and the normal one but sometimes they just show up to the segregated event.

linda22003
11-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Not in my area, it isn't.

FlaGator
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Not in my area, it isn't.

They are having them here too. Not a lot but it is growing. This is mostly a desire of the minority groups, otherwise the ACLU would be having a fit.

Speedy
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

When my daughter was attending middle school and participating in choir, all their concerts and events were held in a large Baptist Church. This was great because the church provided camera people and sound people and some really nice DVDs were always produced and it helped the choir raise money.

noonwitch
11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
My high school had a large enough field house to host a graduation ceremony. We used to rent our school to a church on Sundays, though, and we would come into class Monday morning and the Sunday School lessons would still be on the chalkboard. No one was ever offended, and the school made good money out of it. One of my teachers would gripe a little on Mondays, but he was doing it to see if he could get a good debate going among the students. He was the debate coach, after all.

I thought my school did a pretty good job balancing religious issues in a public school setting. Young Life was allowed to put signs up in the hallways, and their counselors (or anyone's clergy) were allowed to eat lunch with us on grounds. The day after a friend of mine comitted suicide, I was really grateful for the YL counselors' presence-I wasn't the only kid upset by it and there is only so much comfort that teachers can provide in those circumstances. I even wrote a paper with very religious themes for the aformentioned teacher, who also taught AP english-I got an A, because I backed up my statements about "Young Goodman Brown" with biblical quotes. He was impressed that I used a few different translations to make my case better. He also started the class by having us read Jonathon Edwards' sermon "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God"-not because he agreed with the sermon, but for it's imagery and language.

I'm neutral on the ACLU-sometimes, they are right, and sometimes, they aren't. On this case, I think they are wrong. It's probably cheaper for the school to rent the church than to rent a public auditorium.